Opinions on Next Year's Team

Mr.President

Okay, so I have been looking at the roster, and right now we have 12 guys who are on scholarship.  If I am not mistaken, I believe that you can have 13 scholarships per NCAA rules.  So, Cedrick McAfee makes 13, and I am not counting Kouassi and Morena because they have not signed yet.  I think that the starting line-up for next year should be:

PG- Varez Ward

SG- Frankie Sullivan

SF- Earnest Ross

PF- Kenny Gabriel

C- Robert Chubb

That would leave Wallace, Denson, Langford, and Noel Johnson for SEC Play coming off the bench.  I think that it is a pretty solid line-up and solid depth.  Not sure how Barbee is gonna make room for the new signees, but I trust him to make the best decisions.  What do y'all think about that?

Okay, so I have been looking at the roster, and right now we have 12 guys who are on scholarship.  If I am not mistaken, I believe that you can have 13 scholarships per NCAA rules.  So, Cedrick McAfee makes 13, and I am not counting Kouassi and Morena because they have not signed yet.  I think that the starting line-up for next year should be:

PG- Varez Ward

SG- Frankie Sullivan

SF- Earnest Ross

PF- Kenny Gabriel

C- Robert Chubb

That would leave Wallace, Denson, Langford, and Noel Johnson for SEC Play coming off the bench.  I think that it is a pretty solid line-up and solid depth.  Not sure how Barbee is gonna make room for the new signees, but I trust him to make the best decisions.  What do y'all think about that?

I assume you are referring to rivals.com about Kouassi and Morena not signing. Scout says they both have signed, rivals says they haven't. There is going to be a lot of roster shake ups after the season. Barbee is going hard after Trevor Lacey and we are currently hosting a PF on an official visit. IMO, he still wants to bring in a couple more guys. We are going to be extremely talented next season when we get a healthy roster back to answer your question though.

I definitely think Auburn will be a much better team next year. I think Gabriel, Ross, Sullivan, Chubb, and Langford will be the starters. I know Wallace has had a rough year but to be a walk on he has done an excellent job. Payne has also done an excellent job off the bench and I feel he has starter potential before his time is up at Auburn.

Chubb is not gonna be starting next year, Barbee loves Forbes and honestly I feel like he is a better fit for what we need to do.  Forbes hustles and goes 110% every minute hes on the floor and has athleticism through the roof

Should be a very good year next year.  I think Barbee will make the needed roster changes to get more talent in here.  I am excited at the prospect of so much talent coming in.

War Eagle!

:wedance:

I don't think I can take another yr of Chubb. He's a lost puppy out there.  He had some TURBLE ($1 to Sir Charles) misses from point blank range on Sat.  Every single SEC team we've played this yr has dressed out one if not 2 big men better than Chubb.  It's sad when your "big man" is not in the top 12 big men in the conference....and there are only 12 teams in the conference.  We have to do better. 

Unfortunately I agree about Chubb. He's just not very physical under the rim. But the thing is will we have someone to stick there that's better

I think Chubb has nice potential to provide quality minutes and at times produce nicely. Next year when the depth increases dramatically Barbee will be able to use him properly to eat up minutes at times and have stretches of producing, especially considering that in all probability he will be fresh and matching up against reserves from other teams the majority of the time. He will play a valuable role on next years team...

Koussai (sp) should help out a lot on the defensive post.  He is very physical down low and isn't afraid to battle down there.  I haven't been able to see much of his offensive game, but he does have some good back to the basket moves.  His strength though is shot blocking and rebound and boy do we need those.

I think only Ross and Gabriel will start next year that are currently playing now. The only other one I could see is Ty or Chubb if we don't have a better option at center. Really excited to see how the Ward, Ross, and Sullivan combo will look next year. Lot's of speed and defensive intensity between those three. Also don't forget about big Noel. I think he will be a solid contributor. Next year I expect us to finish 3rd maybe 2nd in the west however if we do land Lacey and he is all he is supposed to be watch out we might be dancing next year in march

Unfortunately I agree about Chubb. He's just not very physical under the rim. But the thing is will we have someone to stick there that's better

I had said this in another thread.  I noticed in the MSU game that when it got close, Barbee would substitute for Chubb on the defensive side. 

I don't think he plays very good defense, from what I have seen this year, and granted, it hasn't been as much as I would have liked.

We will win the SEC West next year barring another string of injuries.  I feel that confident in the talent we have on the bench right now.

:laugh:   :laugh:   :laugh: 

Which part are you laughing at?  Because our redshirts are the most talented in the SEC and coupling them with people like Ernest Ross and KG makes for a very very promising year.

Based on face value, without looking further into it, I can see where some folks would say AU has no chance to win the SEC West next year.  But I agree with Cullman.  The guys who we are depending on night in and night out, will for the most part be role players next year (barring injuries)...only Gabriel and Ross will need to come in and play significant roles.  AU's talent level is not where it should be right now, but down the stretch they played some good b-ball against MS St, Bama, Arky, FLA, and Vandy (for 1/2) bue to good coaching.  The SEC is not strong or deep, esp in the West and AU will have as good of a shot as any next yr. 

who are the guys that are supposed to be on the team next year i always see them dressed in sweat pants and sweat shirts ones langford  i dont know who the other two are...?

Right on. War Eagle. I'm curious as to how this team that was supposedly "one of the worst teams ever" somehow managed to compete in the majority of its SEC games. War Eagle again

who are the guys that are supposed to be on the team next year i always see them dressed in sweat pants and sweat shirts ones langford  i dont know who the other two are...?

Langford plays. The 3 are Frankie Sullivan, Verez Ward, and Noel Johnson. All will be playing next year, except Johnson has to wait til January to start playing I believe

Honestly that's not too farfetchd cullman. Look at how Barbee has done and who we have coming in

I agree with AUfightingsoldiers and AUFisherman.. We are gonna look like a whole new team next year. I'm really excited about this team next year!

Guys, we will compete for the SEC West next year.

Don't laugh at that. Just think about it. If we can somehow beat LSU this weekend, that will give us 4 conference wins. Also, there were 4 other games (Florida, Arkansas, @ Bama, @ UGA) that we could've easily won had we hit another shot here or there, or if a bounce or two had gone our way. Now I'm not into moral victories, but you're talking about a team with little to no talent not being far away from going 8-8 in the conference this season. Heck, it's a miracle we have a chance to win 4 games.

We will have legit top-flight talent in Ward, Sullivan, Gabriel, Ross and Johnson available (barring any injuries), and you add to the mix a couple of top 100 recruits.

Given that the SEC West is down in basketball, I wouldn't be shocked at all if we won the West next year. All it takes is a couple of top-notch players to turn around a basketball team.

This team will be night and day better next year, and I can't wait!

Guys, we will compete for the SEC West next year.

Don't laugh at that. Just think about it. If we can somehow beat LSU this weekend, that will give us 4 conference wins. Also, there were 4 other games (Florida, Arkansas, @ Bama, @ UGA) that we could've easily won had we hit another shot here or there, or if a bounce or two had gone our way. Now I'm not into moral victories, but you're talking about a team with little to no talent not being far away from going 8-8 in the conference this season. Heck, it's a miracle we have a chance to win 4 games.

We will have legit top-flight talent in Ward, Sullivan, Gabriel, Ross and Johnson available (barring any injuries), and you add to the mix a couple of top 100 recruits.

Given that the SEC West is down in basketball, I wouldn't be shocked at all if we won the West next year. All it takes is a couple of top-notch players to turn around a basketball team.

This team will be night and day better next year, and I can't wait!

Very good analysis.  I think next year we will be light years ahead of where we were this year.  We will have so much more talent returning from injuries, and transfers.  Add to that the great recruiting that Coach Barbee is doing.  I am very excited for next year.  Barbee has done one of the all time great coaching jobs this year to get this much out of what he has for players.

War Eagle!

Archived