NFL Lockout

augolf1716

Much as I don't like to see millionaires whining about not making enough money, I have to agree with them. Considering the amount of money the NFL generates, they should be paid their fair share, and it doesn't sound like the owners are willing to concede that.

I think the bigger issue with this is that the players don't have a really great pension package. These guys over an NFL career, are involved in collisions equivalent to two cars hitting each other at 20-30 mph and to sustain the kind of playing level that they do is amazing to me. They need to be taken care of after they retire. Another thing that I didn't know is that while there is no CBA, the players are not subject to punishment by the League for drug use or off the field problems. Could get interesting.

It's obvious that this was the plan of the owners. They cried about the amount they take in yet they were able to stash away a billion dollars in preparation of the lockout. Who has money troubles and still be able to put away that kind of money. The NFLPA requested fimancial records for the last ten years. The owners balked at that and only gave up the last five years. Of course we all know the recession was going on at its strongest during that time. That report won't give the full picture of the finances. When most companies conduct audits of their finances, they look at ten year windows. Herm Edwards made the comment today that the owners don't want to let the players know, or the other owners, what they really take in money wise. The players aren't responsible for the current high salaries. This is what the owners agreed to pay them. The players can demand whatever they want during contract negotiations, it up to the owners if they pay up or not. And even though we see that 6yr 80 mil figure flashed across the screen, it's not really true. Most times, less than half of it is guaranteed. Most is incentive based. And of what is guaranteed, most of that is loaded in the last year or two of the deal. When that time comes around, the player is asked to renegotiate or he is cut or traded. It all works in the owners favor imo. I say if you want to lower the salaries, guarantee all of the money and the players will have less to cry about. They want to add more games to the season, make them play overseas, and all for less money and crappy benefits. Most of the player's quality of life is not good after football as all of the injuries catch up with them. They spent the majority of their lives playing, from pee-wee to college, with others profiting off them. They really only have a 3yr span to profit off themselves as the average players only lasts 3 seasons. Very few have long careers. I hope they get all of this worked out, but right now I side with the players. They have been up front about their concerns, the owners have not. Sorry for the long speech.

I wanna read what you have to say but its difficult to read.. :laugh: I agree with what you say up through half of it though (that's before I gave up) :tease:

:laugh: Sorry man, I posted that from my phone. New phone and large hands make for a difficult time typing. I went back and edited a little bit to hopefully make it clearer. But hey, most here don't read long posts anyway.  :laugh:

I wanna read what you have to say but its difficult to read.. :laugh: I agree with what you say up through half of it though (that's before I gave up) :tease:

:laugh: Sorry man, I posted that from my phone. New phone and large hands make for a difficult time typing. I went back and edited a little bit to hopefully make it clearer. But hey, most here don't read long posts anyway.  :laugh:

Those who don't like long posts must hate me then!! :laugh:

In the future, though, the easiest way to make it not so tough to get through is to use paragraphs, even if that means hitting enter twice after every two or three sentences rather than trying to figure out where the spacing should go. Helps me anyway!

Archived