ESPN Frustration

GACE77

Don't know why I get so frustrated but I watch ESPN because I love college football and crave coverarge this time of year.  Watched SportsCenter this afternoon and you would think we skipped a year.  First there was the coverage of the Saban rant on the media reporting injuries that don't exist then a review of how great they will be this year.

Then the follow up with a review of the Texas practices and their quarterback situation and a review of their schedule.  I guess those are the two teams that played for the national championship last year right!?!

Last week Joe Schad talked about how it would "monumental" if the Tigers win 6 games this year. 

Looking foward to Schad reporting how monumental a win it was when we beat Arkansas to go 6 -0!  I'll hold my breath for that report.

War Eagle!

Its all about goals winning the NC is the wrong goal.  If Auburn could just be the best 3 loss team ever then espn would love us.

I don't watch it and I don't miss it.  there are plenty of other places for my college football fix... like AE for one.

:wareagle:

I am not coming down on you at all, so please take my post with a grain of salt.

Do you, (or most of the Auburn Family), remember last year at this time?  Everyone was wondering if UA would ever lose another game.  They were certain to win every game they ever played with Saban as HC.  Oh, Auburn?  They have a decent team...should be good for 7 or 8 wins.  Come on....stop eating the hype.  UA has won a lot of championships, just like the USC's and Notre Dame's...of course whenever they have a good team they will get all the press.  Let our coaches do their thing and everything else will take care of itself.  Stop acting like the second born who is jealous of his older brother.  We will get there.  We just have to prove ourselves.  that is what we are in the process of doing.

:wedance:

All this anger over analysts predicting a bad season really irritates me. It doesn't matter one iota what these guys say. It's just an opinion. It means nothing. You realize that we are actually going to play the games, right?  The actual outcome is what matters, not what someone in August thinks will happen. The rationale behind their predictions make sense. We lost a ton of guys, the rest of the west is stronger, blah, blah, blah, etc, etc. At the end of the day we'll play the games and they'll be right or wrong. Quit getting upset about it.

It will take a year or two for them to get used to the fact this coaching staff means business and Cam Newton wasnt the only reason we won this year. Because that IS what the entire country believes, even on ESPN..though they say it in different words. We will compete but not be great this year...totally expecting an 8-4, maybe a 9-3 season. We will get a new years day bowl game and Gus Malzahn and the rest of the staff will hopefully stay with us for 2012, along with around 20 of our starters from this year. THis is when we enter the stage, with either senior Trotter or sophomore Frazier at the helm, and Dyer and McCalebb the unquestioned best RB duo in the country, and a defense that just may resemble that of 2004. This is Chizik's master plan, and after that they will be here to stay, and everybody will know it.

Stop acting like the second born who is jealous of his older brother. 

I couldn't have said it better.  :bow: :bow: :bow:

They are trying to drive ratings. By letting them get to you like that you are letting them win.

It was the first day of practice for both schools, some attention is expected since they are both preseason top 10 teams.

Actually, Texas is #24.  OTOH, ESPN does have its Longhorn Network to think about, and it would be bad for business not to make that 5-7 team seem relevant. 

for those who are frustrated, hurt, mad, jealous, confused, or any other emotional adjective that describes displeasure in the media predictions, i have a suggestion. not just the media thinks auburn will step back. vegas thinks the same. the over/under for wins this season is at 6.5. i think you can wager about $155 to win $100. if you are so certain that auburn will win 7 games there is no reason not to take some of this free money. if you have moral reservations about gambling discuss it with your preacher(i had a friend who did this once), he might want some of the action himself. if the preacher thinks its a given that auburn will win 7 games he might say its not gambling but a blue chip investment.

my point is that it is not a lack of love that makes the low predictions.(there is obviously a lack of love with the false claims of ncaa cheating) but these guys make predictions on what they think based on info they have and think they have right. i doubt any of them would predict a 5-7 season if they really thought auburn could win 10 or 11 games. they are wrong all the time and i hope they are this year too, but i cant argue with the low predictions.

IMO, we have our best years when the expectations from the national pundits are low. 

I honestly believe that we will have one of the top 20 teams in the country this year although our final record may not indicate that to be the case.  There is a difference between going 7-5 and being blown out in a few games and going 7-5 and being in every game.  I expect road games against Ark and LSU to be our biggest challenges with road games against Clemson, SC & GA being "swing" games along with a home game against MS St (scares me to death).  We better beat the three soft, non-conf teams we play as well as FL and Ole MS.  That leaves only Bama and I expect us to be an experienced, solid team by then and give them a fight they won't soon forget even if they win.

If we start out 2-0, I see us getting to 4-0 going in to Oct.  If we start out 1-1, we could go in to Oct 2-2.  I believe that how we do in Sept will say a great deal about how we deal with Oct.  If we can find a way, to exit Oct at 6-3, or even 7-2, I believe we can win the final 3 and finish with 9 or 10 regular season wins.  With that being said, I could see us being a good team, staying close in every contest but finishing as low as 5-7.

To me, this is what is great about college football.  Our coaches and team will be hungry to prove the naysayers wrong.  We are undefeated as of this minute.  We will be well coached, competitive and, whatever happens in 2011, we should be a SEC and BCS contender in 2012 and beyond...

my two cents...

:wareagle:

for those who are frustrated, hurt, mad, jealous, confused, or any other emotional adjective that describes displeasure in the media predictions, i have a suggestion. not just the media thinks auburn will step back. vegas thinks the same. the over/under for wins this season is at 6.5. i think you can wager about $155 to win $100. if you are so certain that auburn will win 7 games there is no reason not to take some of this free money. if you have moral reservations about gambling discuss it with your preacher(i had a friend who did this once), he might want some of the action himself. if the preacher thinks its a given that auburn will win 7 games he might say its not gambling but a blue chip investment.

my point is that it is not a lack of love that makes the low predictions.(there is obviously a lack of love with the false claims of ncaa cheating) but these guys make predictions on what they think based on info they have and think they have right. i doubt any of them would predict a 5-7 season if they really thought auburn could win 10 or 11 games. they are wrong all the time and i hope they are this year too, but i cant argue with the low predictions.

How did las vegas projections work out for them last year? Not accurate, so why sweat it?

How did las vegas projections work out for them last year? Not accurate, so why sweat it?

:thumbsup::bow:

:believe:

I only watch BSPN when they are televising a game I want to watch. Almost everything else is 100% opionated bs. I'd rather watch a forty year old movie or read a book.

the vegas predictions are not really predictions. im not sure if it worked out for them or not. they are not trying to guess the exact number of wins they are trying to get the same amount of takers for the over and under. and last year the number was 8. colin cowherd said auburn was his top pick to go over and suggested to bet it. a lot of people liked hearing him say that. this year i havent heard cowherd but the others who dont think auburn will do well cause frustration. i have heard people say that it is some agenda or dislike for auburn that the media is giving these predictions. vegas has only one agenda and that is to make $. so if you think winning 7 games is a given then you need to pony up and profit from it. some already have. i think the over/under opened at 6 and is now at 6.5. it takes a lot of action to move this figure.

I appreciate the encouraging words on "ignoring" the media.  I have learned to ignore most of them (just slipped up and watched ESPN and reacted to the show that day).  I agree that we will be better than most of the "experts" think.  I really believe we will win 8 maybe 9 regular season games and the bowl.  I think USC, ARK, LSU are going to be hard to win  but certainly winnable if injuries and luck go our way.  MSU, CLem,  :we:[table][tr][td] :we:[/td][/tr][/table]FLA and GA I think we will win but I realize how difficult they will be.  Ala is always winnable especially at home.  I think 9-3 with a bowl win considering the youth and schedule is enough to gain us the respect we deserve.

Hope I'm right. 

Don't know what coaching MOJO turns 8 Srs. and 22 total upperclassmen into a team that can

win 8 - 10 games, but, that is the task @ hand.

Nobody thought The Amazins would be anything @ all after 7 & 88 gradutated.

But that worked out all right, except for LSU, and then we beat uaT if anyone remembers.

Early is huge, get by MSU and play good enough to split in SC and ..........but as our coaches

are reported to tell our team, alot, "All our good players are gone."

W3DE

Don't let it brother you I've been dealing with this crap for a 1,000 years it feel like. Life might go on

Fixed it.

I only watch BSPN when they are televising a game I want to watch. Almost everything else is 100% opionated bs. I'd rather watch a forty year old movie or read a book.

I agree 100% - I've watched "Mob Week" on A&E all last week and enjoyed every minute of it.  I love Godfather, Good Fella's, Scarface, Pulp Fiction, etc.  Now, that's great TV and much better than watching anything on ESPN right now.

I agree 100% - I've watched "Mob Week" on A&E all last week and enjoyed every minute of it.  I love Godfather, Good Fella's, Scarface, Pulp Fiction, etc.  Now, that's great TV and much better than watching anything on ESPN right now.

i love it too. if you never got into the sapronos rent all of it its great. if you read, get the book "Donnie Brasco" and im reading "Sammy the Bull Gravano's" book now, both nonfiction.

They're a joke, I don't pay attention to any of their analysis of college football....today they had "an esteemed panel" of commentators, former this and that to 'fix' college football, and lo and behold lil spanky is on it. Now I know people are saying only b/c of their preseason ranking but w/ all the evidence out there, they might as well have had Tressel.  :dunno::devil::banghead:

I just turn the channel, but it is ridiculous to say the least

Archived