Texas A&M talks with the SEC

paheadley

Do you want Texas A&M to join the SEC?  

244 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Texas A&M to join the SEC?

• yes
    • no
    • I really don't care.

We talk about the Iron Bowl and not wanting to lose that of course. That brings up a question in my mind:

Is TAMU able to keep their rivalry with Texas? Do you expect Texas and TAMU to both keep that as an OOC game? I hope they do, it is part of the aura of college football. The rivalries really make it special and losing one like that isn't good for college football at all.

Clemson and South Carolina have kept their annual rivalry game, as have Florida and FSU.

I was about to post the same thing -- and add UGA/Ga Tech

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We talk about the Iron Bowl and not wanting to lose that of course. That brings up a question in my mind:

Is TAMU able to keep their rivalry with Texas? Do you expect Texas and TAMU to both keep that as an OOC game? I hope they do, it is part of the aura of college football. The rivalries really make it special and losing one like that isn't good for college football at all.

Clemson and South Carolina have kept their annual rivalry game, as have Florida and FSU.

Great point. I agree that they will keep it. No matter how much extra bad blood there is right now.

Here's the deal:

A&M Board of Regents are meeting Aug 22nd...deal could be done as soon as that ("in a perfect world" -Billy Liucci)

A&M expected to be 13th team in SEC as soon as 2012 season....SEC is fine with being unbalanced if they have to be for a year -- no teams shifting to the east

They will be adding a team from the East...most likely the usual suspects from ACC (who? who knows?)

SEC is not looking to expand to 16 teams at this time.

OU/oSu are a package deal -- they're too closely tied politically to let go of each other. Not saying they wont ever split up, but it is very unlikely that the PTB let that happen. However, they are most likely heading west...which if fine..they dont bring anything more to the tv deal than A&M would bring on its own.

pretty much the gist of what Liucci said on Finebaum yesterday and what Aubrey Bloom had a hard time selling to Finebaum the day before.

The one thing I'd say about that is all the talking heads were saying the same thing about Texas and Texas A&M having to be a package deal due to the politics a year ago.

No way Boone Pickens allows oSu to get left high and dry without OU. Oklahoma and Texas politics are not the same. The split of OU/oSu with oSu being left out of a major conference will hurt the state as a whole. That's not the case in Texas. It is possible that if OU and oSu split that oSu lands in a major conference on its own...but why chance it? OU/oSu are together.

Texas/A&M has never been a package deal from what I've followed. That was the spin to make it look as if A&M wasnt calling the shots in the restructuring of the BigXII. A&M staying last year put the BigXII on life support, but now that they are seeing the true intentions of what Texas plans to do with their network and the instability that it will create in the conference...they are getting out while they still can. Texas/ESPN are driving a bus off a cliff by trying to make other schools follow their agenda....A&M doesn't want to be a part of that burning flame at the bottom.

If the SEC and everybody else is thinking about going to Super Conferences , then my choices would be:

Texas A&M, Oklahoma in the West.

Florida State, Georgia Tech in the East.

The only problem with Auburn would be except for bama, all our other past rivalries would be in the East. Like Georgia, Georgia Tech, Florida, Tennessee.

If the SEC and everybody else is thinking about going to Super Conferences , then my choices would be:

Texas A&M, Oklahoma in the West.

Florida State, Georgia Tech in the East.

The only problem with Auburn would be except for bama, all our other past rivalries would be in the East. Like Georgia, Georgia Tech, Florida, Tennessee.

Florida State & Georgia Tech add nothing in terms of new revenue...and that is a deciding factor.

I got this off the Texas A&M message board. It's a spreadsheet showing where Texas A&M ranks amongst the SEC schools in all sports based off the end of the year rankings last season. White spaces dont mean the school doesn't participate in the sport, but that the guy who put this together could not find them in the rankings. 1$ to SpreadsheetAg of TexAgs.com

AggiesvsSEC.png

I got this off the Texas A&M message board. It's a spreadsheet showing where Texas A&M ranks amongst the SEC schools in all sports based off the end of the year rankings last season. White spaces dont mean the school doesn't participate in the sport, but that the guy who put this together could not find them in the rankings. 1$ to SpreadsheetAg of TexAgs.com

AggiesvsSEC.png

That's pie in the sky talk.

If TAM was in the SEC they's be second tier for now. I do think them being in the SEC would provide them a better ability to recruit and become much more competitive.

This would be usefull info if I had a clue as to what most of the categories were. Football, baseball and basketball are the only three I could figure out. Of course those are the only three that matter anyway

OK, how about:

WEST: Texas                    EAST: Auburn

Texas A&M                      Alabama

Oklahoma                        Tennessee

Oklahoma St.                    Vanderbilt

Arkansas                          Kentucky

LSU                                South Carolina

Ole Miss                          Georgia

Miss. St.                          Florida

Wow, listening to sports radio this morning.  There seems to be a little chatter about Texas A&M possibly joining the greatest league in college football-the SEC.  If that were to happen, who would also move into the SEC?

War Eagle!

:believe:

OK, how about:

WEST: Texas                     EAST: Auburn

Texas A&M                       Alabama

Oklahoma                         Tennessee

Oklahoma St.                    Vanderbilt

Arkansas                          Kentucky

LSU                                 South Carolina

Ole Miss                           Georgia

Miss. St.                          Florida

Texas isn't coming to the sec.  Also I don't think you could ever get approval for your east division.  The schools care about money but they also care about winning.  Your east has 5 of the big 6 teams and the west would only have 3 teams who could win the division on a regular basis that just wouldn't fly from an equal competition standpoint.

This would be usefull info if I had a clue as to what most of the categories were. Football, baseball and basketball are the only three I could figure out. Of course those are the only three that matter anyway

M = Mens

W = Womens

Gf = Golf

S/D = Swimming and Diving

T&F = Track & Field

SftB = Softball

CC = Cross Country

Tns = Tennis

Soc = Soccer

VB = Volleyball

Football

Baseball

Men's Basketball

Men's Golf

Men's Swimming/Diving

Men's Tennis

Men's Indoor Track/Field

Men's Outdoor Track/Field

Men's Cross Country

Softball

Women's Basketball

Women's Golf

Women's Soccer

Women's Swim/Dive

Women's Tennis

Women's Indoor Track/Field

Women's Outdoor Track/Field

Volleyball

M = Mens

W = Womens

Gf = Golf

S/D = Swimming and Diving

T&F = Track & Field

SftB = Softball

CC = Cross Country

Tns = Tennis

Soc = Soccer

VB = Volleyball

Beat me to it :laugh:

The commish said we would not raid the ACC and it is not in danger of collapsing.

Duke & NC are too closely associated to split and I don't see that happening.

VT don't see with the  political capital UV expended getting them into ACC.

FSU wouldn't like upgrade in competition.  Tech - been there done that.

Clem - would USCe block ?

However things change .

I am way over the schools in Ms.

I like moving to the East if we take uaT with us.  I miss  annual games with UF. & UT.

The East would be the old guard SEC powers minus lsu.

As to a new name, UCF - WHY ?????    Are you kidding me !!!

The commish said we would not raid the ACC and it is not in danger of collapsing.

However things change .

I like moving to the East if we take uaT with us.  I miss  annual games with UF. & UT.

UCF and NC State were the two that were mentioned earlier on 247 sports radio.  UCF to get the SEC in the Orlando market and NC state to get in the Rahleigh/Durham area (???).

*edit*

nevermind....

VT don't see with the political capital UV expended getting them into ACC.

FSU wouldn't like upgrade in competition. Tech - been there done that.

However things change .

I like moving to the East if we take uaT with us. I miss annual games with UF. & UT.

As to a new name, UCF - WHY ????? Are you kidding me !!!

UCF and NC State were the two that were mentioned earlier on 247 sports radio. UCF to get the SEC in the Orlando market and NC state to get in the Rahleigh/Durham area (???).

UCF has over 56,000 students it is growing and in the right conference it could become a good addition.  NC state is the largest university in North Carolina with 33,000 students.  Which would make them among the largest schools in terms of numbers in the sec.

However things change .

It would be worth it though if Saban had to start wearing a helmet on the sidelines for the Ga Tech game like the Bear did.  :laugh:

NC st. would be a good add,  but I am not sure if they'd come.

Still don't get UCF; is there enough interest in their program  to bring them in ?

With Gators we have  pretty good  entry  into  to the Orlando market.

This is way above my pay grade though concerning market shares and such.

Why NC State? They are good at nothing. And below average at everything.

It's about the markets not the schools athletic resume. NC State brings the Charlotte market and Raleigh/Durham which are 23 and 25th respectively.

Why NC State? They are good at nothing. And below average at everything.

It's about the markets not the schools athletic resume. NC State brings the Charlotte market and Raleigh/Durham which are 23 and 25th respectively.

I disagree... it's a combination of the two.  If the school sucks at all things athletics related it doesn't matter if they have access to a large media market since no one will watch them except for the most die hard alumni.

Archived