Saban On BSPN Panel

bwillaub

Was flipping thru channels looking for something good among the sports channels when I stumbled upon a show featuring a group of coaches, sportswriters, and commentators.  They were discussing changes that needed to be made to get a hold on "cheating" in college sports.  Saban was a panel member.  I couldn't help but laugh out loud at the irony.

And in case you missed his stance on paying college players, he basically said (of course I'm paraphrasing) that the institutions aren't profiting from the football players.  That nobody's making money because it all gets funnelled back in to other athletic and academic programs.

Bob Stoops pretty much stopped him in his tracks and reminded him the coaches do make a good deal of money.

I giggled.

The debate on whether football players should/shouldn't be paid is a worthwhile one, but $aban shouldn't be anywhere near that panel.

While Urban and Stoops were against what little man was saying, you could see Schad and Schlabach in the back strapping on their knee pads. 

Isn't that like putting a coyote in the hen house to gaurd the hens?   :laugh:

He joined to get the inside track...or make sure no one was following his tracks...

And in case you missed his stance on paying college players, he basically said (of course I'm paraphrasing) that the institutions aren't profiting from the football players.  That nobody's making money because it all gets funnelled back in to other athletic and academic programs.

Bob Stoops pretty much stopped him in his tracks and reminded him the coaches do make a good deal of money.

I giggled.

The debate on whether football players should/shouldn't be paid is a worthwhile one, but $aban shouldn't be anywhere near that panel.

IIRC, I thought I read some time ago where $aban was in agreement that student athletes should be paid....

I giggled.

IIRC, I thought I read some time ago where $aban was in agreement that student athletes should be paid....

Of course he is. They are already doing it. Bah duh bum!

Watched NS answer the proposal and thought he did a good job of it.  The idea of paying players is being pushed by ESPN and the retort that coaches were being paid was nuts..  I think it was Saban who responded to the smart crack about the coaches being paid with a response to one of the ESPN guys...."don't you get paid?"

Just because the Chemistry prof is being paid, does that mean that students should be paid to sit in class every day?    Seems that I never hear the point made that in addition to free education, etc the players also get untold hours of tutoring by professional coaches who help them develop their skills to the highest level.  These coaches are paid not just to win games, but to teach the athletes about the physical and mental demands of the game....raising the players skill levels and helping give them the chance to succeed as a highly paid professional athlete earning an income they could never achieve on their own efforts alone.  The time the players get with one on one instruction from the top men in their field like Gus and Pelton, etc. is worth a ton of money.   

And of course we are back to the issue of paying ladies on the volleyball team the same "stipend" that the all SEC QB gets?  It's not financially possible and never going to happen.

Archived