challenging the middle of the field

TillmanReverse

I know that offense was not our primary issue in the Utah State game. That said, we did have problems moving the chains at times. We have a great "outside game" for sure, with more playmakers than I can ever remember. We miss Cam challenging the middle. I'm wondering why we don't utilize Lutzie for this purpose. Seems like we only look for him inside the 20.

Frankly, I think we should have run the same zone-read play we ran with such success last year.  Not often, and not to the extent of Cam, but Trotter is very mobile and surprisingly squirrelly.  It would give the opposing team's D something to think about.

It would have the same field stretching effect as "passing to set up the run".

My personal opinion; Coaches didn't want to show much of the design for him, not yet .

I agree our Offense didn't really help the D that much til the end of the game. (and our D needed the help.) We have a problem where the defenses we play against know what plays we will run. ESP our first 2 or 3 possessions.   3 straight hand-offs to Omac and 3 to Dyer doesn't really give our offense a chance.  WE do this almost every game! Teams just sell out on the run for the first 6-8 plays.  Basically we are dead in the water until we throw a pass.  This starts our defense in a bind,  and on the field for long periods of time at the beginning of the game.   We have to mix it up a bit on our first 2 possession or we will be playing from behind all year.  A first down is more important that stubbornly  "trying to establishing the run at all cost".

The play calling was predictable and we left the defense on the field all day with the 3 and outs.

The wildcat run with Dyer on first when behind 10 with moments to play gave me pause as well.

Lutz thrown to once?  All around, pretty puzzling day except for special teams.

I'm sure coaches and players alike will have a great week of preparation for MSU.

IMHO. I think that we didn't do much in the middle for a few reasons. Our interior line play was sub par. Also they were determined to stop Dyer and sold out to stop him. Their star is a linebacker in the middle and I honestly think they left so much space to make plays on the perimeter BC of that. At the end we had more options BC they shifted focus and we took advantage.  I don't think anyone gets how excellent trotter did at making plays where plays could be made. I think we could have pushed the inner runs and more passes over the middle but my hope is that our play calling stayed vanilla to let the guys get some experience and work through some problems.  I know we can improve greatly but the more I think about it I'm fairly comfortable with our offense we just gotta get our line some experience or change it up. I've complete confidence in what we do with the ball and am wowed at trotter

If you'll remember, the very first thing Chizik said was we were going to get back to running the ball. I think they try to establish the run early and every team knows it. I bet their philosophy is stack the box, prevent Auburn from running the ball early, and we have a chance. I think we ought to come out five wide and air it out and really screw these opposing defenses up.

IMHO. I think that we didn't do much in the middle for a few reasons. Our interior line play was sub par. Also they were determined to stop Dyer and sold out to stop him. Their star is a linebacker in the middle and I honestly think they left so much space to make plays on the perimeter BC of that. At the end we had more options BC they shifted focus and we took advantage.  I don't think anyone gets how excellent trotter did at making plays where plays could be made. I think we could have pushed the inner runs and more passes over the middle but my hope is that our play calling stayed vanilla to let the guys get some experience and work through some problems.  I know we can improve greatly but the more I think about it I'm fairly comfortable with our offense we just gotta get our line some experience or change it up. I've complete confidence in what we do with the ball and am wowed at trotter

I was equally impressed with Trotter. I just feel like we were trying to jam a 165 lb rb between the tackles and barely  using our tight end, who just happens to be the best receiving tight end in the country. I'm really frustrated, but am glad to have actual games to talk about!

If you'll remember, the very first thing Chizik said was we were going to get back to running the ball. I think they try to establish the run early and every team knows it. I bet their philosophy is stack the box, prevent Auburn from running the ball early, and we have a chance. I think we ought to come out five wide and air it out and really screw these opposing defenses up.

This^^^^^^^^^^^,  or play 6 straight play action from the our first possession.

I don't ready think we had many problems on O other than not being able to run. The O performed adequately when they actually saw the field. The D allowing USU to have energy-sapping 12-16 play drives was the problem and really shortened the game.

It looked like we hid Trotter for the whole game and tried to run and play conservatively. When we got aggressive in the final 3 minutes the offense was on fire. Because we didnt pass his as much as we should have, Utah State stacked the box and didnt respect the pass game.

I will say that when we ran Dyer from the wild cat fown by 10 with 3:30 to go was the first time I ever booed a Gus Malzahn playcall. In my head. Never out loud.

Defnesively, I am sick of how soft we play against wide recievers. Any time somone ran it last year, they had success with it. The only difference is Utah State wasnt too proud to simply keep doing it. I remember thinking that had Clemson kept that going in the second half last year we would have lost. Our tackling was below average, but it looked like the defense was sitting back and trying not to make a mistake. We were much better when we went in attack mode.

Archived