Beat Writers' Post Practice Tweets of Players' Comments, 9/5/11

Elephant Tipper

AUBURN TIME: 11:13 pm 

Bryan Matthews, 247.com

VIDEO: Free video interview with CB T'Sharvan Bell ...

http://auburn.247sports.com/Board/42/Video-interview-TSharvan-Bell-Sept-5-4081320  2:48 minutes

VIDEO: Free video interview with WR Travante Stallworth ..

http://auburn.247sports.com/Board/42/Video-interview-Travante-Stallworth-Sept-5-4081041  3:37 minutes

VIDEO: Free video interview with DT Jeff Whitaker. He calls giving up 227 rushing yds "embarrassing" ...

http://auburn.247sports.com/Board/42/Video-interview-Jeff-Whitaker-Sept-5-4080851  7:46 minutes

VIDEO: Free video interview with Auburn DC Ted Roof ...

http://auburn.247sports.com/Board/42/Video-interview-Ted-Roof-Sept-5-4080817  7:00 minutes

Charles Goldberg, B'hm News, H'ville Times

VIDEO/NOTES: `Way too many mistakes' has Auburn coach Ted Roof working to fix the problems'

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/09/video_way_too_many_mistakes_ha.html  5:43 minutes

WarBlogle, WarBlogle.com

WarBlogle WarBlogle.com

They scared. WE @AUAthletics The MSU ticket office has returned some of their ticket allotment. Visit www.aubtix.com to purchase.

Jay Tate, Montgomery Advertiser

DT Angelo Blackson said watching Mississippi State rack up 645 yards against Memphis last week has provided ample motivation. "I'm going to take that as: `You’re not going to put up 600-something yards on us,' " he said. "We've got that attitude – and Coach (Chizik's) emphasis on swagger, that ‘You ain’t going to come in here and whoop us.’

DT Ken Carter acknoweledged that the line made far too many mistakes in the Utah State game, but the sophomore said acclimation is the solution. "We don't give up numbers like that, but it was the first game," he said. "It was first-game jitters. We can fix them." Auburn played four first-year DTs last weekend.

LB Eltoro Freeman missed the Utah State game after being ruled ineligible for one game due to what Auburn said was as a clerical error. DC Ted Roof said he expects big things from Freeman against Mississippi State this weekend. "He's going to have a big role," Roof said. "He's going to bring some energy, and he'll help us put a charge in that defense."

Though Auburn and Mississippi State feature two of the SEC's most innovative offenses, DE Jeffrey Whitaker said this weekend's game will be about brawn. "There’s nothing about this game that is going to be pretty," he said. "It's going to be hard-nosed, old school."

DE Jeffrey Whitaker said external motivation is unnecessary this week considering the Tigers conceded 227 rushing yards and five rushing TDs to Utah State. "That was a tough pill for us to swallow. That deal was embarrassing," he said. "I know we’re going to respond."

CB T'Sharvan Bell said the defensive playbook is being streamlined ahead of this weekend's game against Mississippi State. "There will be a lot of stuff cut out this next week, and things will be simplified for us so we can go play fast," he said

WR Travante Stallworth demonstrated his health against Utah State, using an abrupt cut and juke to score a 39-yard TD. He missed most of 2010 with a torn knee ligament. "I felt my old self, and the coaches pretty much thought so, too," he said. Stallworth finished with 4 catches for 93 yards

Evan Woodbery, al.com

Auburn D-lineman Jeff Whitaker: “Miss. State is physical. I have much respect for their O-line. They’ve been like that for a hundred years.”

Auburn center Reese Dismukes: “We didn’t play as physical as we could. That’s one of the things we take pride in, and that didn’t happen.”

Auburn defensive coordinator Ted Roof on making personnel changes: “I don’t think so. We’ve just got to get better.”

DC Ted Roof: "There were way too many mistakes, things we can control....Not just 1 thing, but combination of many things."

Roof on alignment problems: "You can preach it and preach it in practice but until it happens in a game -- I think it really hits home."

Roof on Eltoro Freeman: "He's going to have a big role. I'm looking forward to getting him back."

More from Roof: "With communication comes confidence. They play faster. That's something we're harping on as coaches."

LB Jonathan Evans was back at practice tonight, per Roof.

Under Gene Chizik, Auburn has trailed by 10 or more in 8 games and is 6-2. In 14 years prior, AU was 4-44 in games trailing by 10 or more.

Andy Bitter, WarEagleExtra.com

Auburn DT Jeffrey Whitaker called giving up 227 rushing yards to Utah State "embarrassing." Said Tigers will respond.

Whitaker said MSU game always comes down to physicality. "It's who wants it more."

Jason Caldwell, Scout.com

Jeff Whitaker: "games like this against MSU come down to simple things. See ball and hit ball"

Justin Hokanson, Rivals.com

After post practice interviews, seems the Auburn players understand where they went wrong and what it takes, we'll see if it translates.

David Morrison, OANews

LB Jonathan Evans practiced Monday. Said he just got his shoulder a little banged up on onside kick.

Roof, on the defense as a whole: "We've all got to get better in a hurry."

DL Angelo Blackson, on MSU's 645-yard performance against Memphis: "We just take it as, 'You're not putting up 600 yards on us.'"

DL Jeffrey Whitaker said giving up 227 rush yards to USU was "embarrassing." "We can't keep doing that. We're going to get beat if we do."

Whitaker says MSU game on line comes down to "a pride deal. Can you knock me around? The answer is 'No.'"

I like the attitude from the players but words are one thing and actions are another. We need to prove it on the field. Show these puppies that we won't be pushed around in our house!

I like the attitude from the players but words are one thing and actions are another. We need to prove it on the field. Show these puppies that we won't be pushed around in our house!

+1

Letting a WAC team rack up yards on our defense should have embarrassed our players.  IMO, MSU is a much better team than Utah State, and these players will hopefully take them serious to avoid getting embarrassed again.  Having swagger and attitude is great if you can back it up on the field.  Time for the players to show what they've got and back up the tough talk.

Archived