Cody Parkey

AUfan_UAgrad

Not only that but according to one article I read, sometimes the coach doesnt want the ball kicked into the endzone.  So he could have more if the coach wanted him to.

Yea I have heard that before, but never really understood why.  To me if you can put them on the 20 on every kick off then do it.  Guess that's why I am not a coach and just a fan.

However just hope he is getting his credit because when you don't have to worry about kick offs, just one less thing.  And we all know how a special teams play can make/break a game.

If your cover team is loaded with fast, big hitting players who are doing a good job of maintaining their lanes, then a return means you have the opportunity to pin your opponent INSIDE the 20 or, even better, cause a turnover.

When we went down to the Outback Bowl they had the UA All-Star game in St. Pete that week. We went to see some of the recruits that had verbally committed (Dyer, Holland and company), one of which was Parkey. He was absolutely dreadful with his accuracy but when he struck the ball you could hear it echo throughout Tropicana Field. I was thinking we got him for strictly kickoffs but he has shown alot of improvement since the UA All-Star game.

:believe:

I was very concerned about our special teams play before the season started. There just was not that much talk about it in the offseason and I do not think Parkey even kicked in the Spring game. The punting game I felt the same. Last year we were not that great punting the ball. Punt returns were scary every time we received a punt last year.

Finally, kickoff returns were good last year and kick coverage was good, but we were not picking the ball out of the end zone.

I cannot believe how good we are in the kicking game this year. Parkey is a dream kicker. Punts are way more consistant this year. I no longer get the hives every time a punt is coming our way. Our return game is as good as last year.

I initiated many several threads this summer wondering about our special teams. I was concerned. WOW! I have no concerns here now. AWESOME!

Archived