Michael Wilbon on the NCAA clearing Cam

jmcrosson

Van Pelt asks Wilbon if the NCAA clearing Auburn is a "period" or a "dot, dot, dot" and he says, "it's a period and it was for me a long time ago."

He goes on to say that people need to "shut their mouths" concerning Cam and highlights that major news outlets, reporters, etc have been on this story for a year, and really 2 years counting his recruitment, and have found nothing. "maybe people are just wrong."

Best quote to me was when he commented on the 6 figures often thrown around and attached to Cam's name - he said it's a flat out lie, and that no one has that kind of money to throw at a college kid. "What's the return on the investment?"

Great statements throughout. Worth a listen.

Wilbon's stock just rose with me.  Finally some common sense from someone at ESPN.  No one in college football has ever been investigated as much as Cam.  They came up with Nada.  Between the reporters, the NCAA, rival fans and even rival coaches and even rival x-coaches and they all came up with zip.    They would have given anything to take him down.  Even if there was something that couldn't have been proved if they really had something they would have leaked it.  Time to move on but man my chest is puffed out and I really want a pound flesh that we will never get.

I still hope we get that pound of flesh from Updyke University. 

They are suffering now, I want their season to go down and I want Rent Richardson looked into by Yahoooooooooo and the NCAA.

I must say I was surprised by the NCAA letter 'cause they almost never do something like that and as people have noted many times over the past few days, I can't imagine anyone at NCAA writing such a letter if there was even the slightest possibility of something out there.   

Second I was amazed that something did not turn up somewhere that constituted a violation....not with Cam but with recruiting in general 'cause there are a thousand ways for coaches to screw up ....or to have over-eager supporters screw up.    Worse still, once a transgression comes to the NCAA's attention it seems that more of them just come out of the woodwork.  Look at UNC, UTk, USCw and Ohio State as examples...the more they looked the more they found and it did not take a year of investigations to uncover most of them.  Bama has been on probation for more than 15 consecutive years for every manor of violation by coaches, supporters and student-athletes.

IMO the fact that AU was exonorated is a minor miracle because I'm pretty sure that the NCAA wanted to find something and even thought they would find something.    The entire AU family deserves congrats on dodging a slew of bullets this year.....we were all out there with huge targets on our backs and a hundred people taking aim.....and anyone could have brought our house down. 

:thumbsup:

Van Pelt asks Wilbon if the NCAA clearing Auburn is a "period" or a "dot, dot, dot" and he says, "it's a period and it was for me a long time ago."

He goes on to say that people need to "shut their mouths" concerning Cam and highlights that major news outlets, reporters, etc have been on this story for a year, and really 2 years counting his recruitment, and have found nothing. "maybe people are just wrong."

Best quote to me was when he commented on the 6 figures often thrown around and attached to Cam's name - he said it's a flat out lie, and that no one has that kind of money to throw at a college kid. "What's the return on the investment?"

Great statements throughout. Worth a listen.

:believe:

Yes, great statements...a YEAR TO LATE IMHO!!!!  Where were these guys last year....during the recruitment of CAM???  The whole year that reporters (I use that term loosely by the way)....News Radio (again...used loosely)...and all the others were blasting us for CHEATING...but had NO PROOF what so ever.....and these guys just sat around and did NOTHING!!!!   Now that we are cleared...they come out on their BAND WAGON and say that they KNEW all along that this was going to amount to nothing?????!!!!!   WHERE WERE THEY THEN is my question!!!????  All the AUBURN FAMILY though.....were right there.....just us and no one else....THE FAMILY is what I listen too...not these so called reporters anymore!!!!

I must say I was surprised by the NCAA letter 'cause they almost never do something like that and as people have noted many times over the past few days, I can't imagine anyone at NCAA writing such a letter if there was even the slightest possibility of something out there.   

Second I was amazed that something did not turn up somewhere that constituted a violation....not with Cam but with recruiting in general 'cause there are a thousand ways for coaches to screw up ....or to have over-eager supporters screw up.    Worse still, once a transgression comes to the NCAA's attention it seems that more of them just come out of the woodwork.   Look at UNC, UTk, USCw and Ohio State as examples...the more they looked the more they found and it did not take a year of investigations to uncover most of them.   Bama has been on probation for more than 15 consecutive years for every manor of violation by coaches, supporters and student-athletes.

IMO the fact that AU was exonorated is a minor miracle because I'm pretty sure that the NCAA wanted to find something and even thought they would find something.    The entire AU family deserves congrats on dodging a slew of bullets this year.....we were all out there with huge targets on our backs and a hundred people taking aim.....and anyone could have brought our house down. 

As one gumpdyke put it, "Auburn committed the perfect crime!" Those morons are absolutely, unequivocally certain that that we cheat when there's zero evidence. But they'll proclaim their innocence to the high heavens when shown hard and fast proof (pictures included) of their transgressions. Their imbecility has no equal.

Wilbon has been one of the few from day one who has said he wants to see some proof and not rumors. I was watching PTI a few months back and kornhole asked Wilbon where was the best place he ever watched a college football game at, as far as atmosphere. Wilbon immediately said "Auburn". kornhole said "Auburn?". Wilbon said "hands down".

Wilbon has been one of the few from day one who has said he wants to see some proof and not rumors. I was watching PTI a few months back and kornhole asked Wilbon where was the best place he ever watched a college football game at, as far as atmosphere. Wilbon immediately said "Auburn". kornhole said "Auburn?". Wilbon said "hands down".

That is cool, Wilbon keeps impressing me.  The more I hear the more I like.  I don't need someone to always give us the nod but a few times in a row is nice to see.  thanks for sharing WDE

IMO the letter was written to the Bammers and to the media.  The message in the letter...SHUT UP AND GET OVER IT!  What other program has to put up with the insecurity of the morons who call themselves "Big Alabama Fans" as well as media more than willing to make a living exploiting that insecurity.

Second I was amazed that something did not turn up somewhere that constituted a violation....not with Cam but with recruiting in general 'cause there are a thousand ways for coaches to screw up ....or to have over-eager supporters screw up.    Worse still, once a transgression comes to the NCAA's attention it seems that more of them just come out of the woodwork.   Look at UNC, UTk, USCw and Ohio State as examples...the more they looked the more they found and it did not take a year of investigations to uncover most of them.   Bama has been on probation for more than 15 consecutive years for every manor of violation by coaches, supporters and student-athletes.

As one gumpdyke put it, "Auburn committed the perfect crime!" Those morons are absolutely, unequivocally certain that that we cheat when there's zero evidence. But they'll proclaim their innocence to the high heavens when shown hard and fast proof (pictures included) of their transgressions. Their imbecility has no equal.

The gumps bought the whole "Auburn pay for play" scheme for one reason and one reason only...it is exactly what they would have done if in the same position.  That's why it made perfect sense to them.

Yeah, I've liked Wilbon for some time now, and I didn't even know about his defense of Cam. He's the reason I continued to watch after Around the Horn went off back when I actually watched ESPN. Kinda cool to hear that he put us at the top of gameday experiences!

Today on PTI they asked which game would you rather attend LSU-bama or game 6 of the World Series.  Wilbon picked LSU game because of the atmosphere at Bryant-Denny.  He then goes on to name his must-visit iconic locations to watch a game: ...Wrigley, Fenway, JORDAN-HARE...  :thumbsup:

It took me by surprise and I almost thought I was hearing things cause he said it so "matter of fact".  And it flowed so effortlessly in the middle of his list of some of the most famous venues in sports.  War Damn Wilbon!!

Archived