My Thoughts on Chick-Fil-A Bowl

Ronald McDonald

Crowd/Atmosphere: The Chick-Fil-A Bowl put on a great time this weekend. Everything from the parade down Peachtree in the morning to the bowl celebration after the game was fantastic. It gave the feel of a big-time bowl game and was very well thought out. The Virginia fans were all very nice and I enjoyed their company more than any other opposing team in recent memory. Their tradition and cheers are very strange though. Overall, Chick-Fil-A knows how to put on a bowl game.

Offensively: Losing Dyer might have been the best thing that happened to our offense. It seemed that without Dyer, Malzahn was forced to open his playbook and become creative like we saw in 2009. Trotter was fantastic and his 11-18 could've been 13-18 or 14-18 if Lutzenkirchen hadn't dropped a pass and same with Blake.

McCalebb absolutely put on a show. It's been stated how well he played so I'll just leave it at that. Hope he stays on with us next year but if he goes I wish him luck.

The only negative I could really harp on would be the play of the OL. I was hoping for a large improvement from them and didn't really get it. I feel like next year we'll be much better on the OL with Robinson and Westerman coming off their redshirt year. One positive on blocking though is how the WR's blocked down field last night. It reminded me of the 2010 WR corp.

Defensively: I thought we played better defensively. How much better? Not much but I think a lot of it has to do with confidence and youth. I'm proud of them for continuing to play hard even though the results weren't always there.

Special Teams: How about Garrett Harper?!? When we needed a momentum swing the most, a freshman walk-on provided it. That blocked punt along with Blackson's punt block later on really sealed the outcome of this game. Parkey was as solid last night as he had been all year long. His onside kick was perfectly executed. Boulware has done a great job with this group and has our young guys motivated to make plays on special teams. It goes to show that special teams can determine the outcome of games.

In the End: This game gave Auburn lots to look forward to in 2012. Great win for the program.

I agree for the most part.  However, I hate to say it, but I was pretty disappointed in our fans.  They were for the most part, very flat and just looked to be bored most of the game.  I've noticed it some this season, and I cant for the life of me understand why we have been so flat this season.

I seem to remember Boulware working with the team during bowl practice while the rest of the staff was on the recruiting trail. If so it definitely showed last night.

On your Dyer statement, I have a couple thoughts concerning him after last night.

1. Our offense, especially McCalebb, Mason, and Bray sent out a humbling message! Most points scored all season without our top returning offensive weapon!

2. I almost wonder if Dyer and his rumored attitude problems could have caused some conflicts within the team, especially on offense. I have absolutely no inside knowledge or any facts to back up that statement, but it was something that crossed my mind after watching Auburn play last night. I do know that a talented player can lose his effectiveness if he doesn't mesh well with teammates.

I was not fortunate enough to be at the game. Just saw in on a big flat screen. I thought the game was awesome with all the big plays we had on all sides of the ball. Congrats to the coaching staff. They definitely had the players fired up and ready to play. WDE

I love going to Atlanta for a football game

Agreed.

2. I almost wonder if Dyer and his rumored attitude problems could have caused some conflicts within the team, especially on offense. I have absolutely no inside knowledge or any facts to back up that statement, but it was something that crossed my mind after watching Auburn play last night. I do know that a talented player can lose his effectiveness if he doesn't mesh well with teammates.

I doubt there were any conflicts. He, McCalebb, Reed, Bray, and others all hang around each other off the field. At least they do around campus anyways :dunno:

I was impressed with the showing of a lot of our freshman last night.Bray,KF,Mason,Whitehead,Blackson and others played well IMO.

I also noticed that we probably practiced well since the bammer game.The improvment is a tribute to Coach Chizik and the staff,and the willingness of the young guys to want to get better after a somewhat unsatisfing season.

:we:

I don't think that you play that well without improved O Line play. 

The word is "improved".

This is the team I was looking for all year.

The D looked like they had a plan in mind for the game and did look improved.

On the O, maybe Trotter needs to return and work on a PhD!

Per AUBlog:

@AUBlogDavid Morrison

Also: AU's win ensures that it didn't have the worst follow season to a BCS title. LSU went 8-5 in 2008 as well.

@FootballAUAuburn Football

Gene Chizik's 30 wins are the most by an Auburn football coach in their first three years.

What's a "wheel"?

A wheel is a device that allows heavy objects to be moved easily through rotating on an axle through its center, facilitating movement or transportation while supporting a load, or performing labor in machines. You asked. :yay:

As an employee of Chick-fil-A, I would 100% agree!!! Chick-fil-A knows how to do it right. And it was our pleasure to do so!

Virginia fans were 95% on the plus side. Unfortunately one of the 5% who might as well have been from LSU sat behind us for able one quarter before he decided to move on.

The Dome, Atlanta, atmosphere and organization of the Chick-fil-A group was well done.

Next year at the SEC CG, I'll bring ear plugs - the PA system was horribly loud.

Wahoowa?

First half defense was weak and reminded me of the rest of the season, except better pursuit and more gang tackling.

Second half looked more like a Chizik coached defense.

Special teams performed as they have for most of the year, stellar! 

Offense seemed to soar under Barrett Trotter. Perhaps it was the coaches figuring out the defensive schemes of Virginia, but from the second half with Barrett and Kiehl, the offense was on fire!! Ontario showed his speed and quickness. For the life of me I cannot understand how some fans do not realize how special Ontario's play and presence on the field is. I also disagree he will not make it in the Pros. He will not be an every down back, but he does not have to be either. Put him in a slot and let him catch it out of the backfield. Maybe Carolina will pick him up and he can join Cam, Darvin, Ziemba, etc.

Crowd/Atmosphere: The Chick-Fil-A Bowl put on a great time this weekend. Everything from the parade down Peachtree in the morning to the bowl celebration after the game was fantastic. It gave the feel of a big-time bowl game and was very well thought out. The Virginia fans were all very nice and I enjoyed their company more than any other opposing team in recent memory. Their tradition and cheers are very strange though. Overall, Chick-Fil-A knows how to put on a bowl game.

Offensively: Losing Dyer might have been the best thing that happened to our offense. It seemed that without Dyer, Malzahn was forced to open his playbook and become creative like we saw in 2009. Trotter was fantastic and his 11-18 could've been 13-18 or 14-18 if Lutzenkirchen hadn't dropped a pass and same with Blake.

McCalebb absolutely put on a show. It's been stated how well he played so I'll just leave it at that. Hope he stays on with us next year but if he goes I wish him luck.

The only negative I could really harp on would be the play of the OL. I was hoping for a large improvement from them and didn't really get it. I feel like next year we'll be much better on the OL with Robinson and Westerman coming off their redshirt year. One positive on blocking though is how the WR's blocked down field last night. It reminded me of the 2010 WR corp.

Defensively: I thought we played better defensively. How much better? Not much but I think a lot of it has to do with confidence and youth. I'm proud of them for continuing to play hard even though the results weren't always there.

Special Teams: How about Garrett Harper?!? When we needed a momentum swing the most, a freshman walk-on provided it. That blocked punt along with Blackson's punt block later on really sealed the outcome of this game. Parkey was as solid last night as he had been all year long. His onside kick was perfectly executed. Boulware has done a great job with this group and has our young guys motivated to make plays on special teams. It goes to show that special teams can determine the outcome of games.

In the End: This game gave Auburn lots to look forward to in 2012. Great win for the program.

Glad you mentioned the First punt block Mc.  Very little talk about this surprisingly. Maybe because Harper is an unknown walk-on and with so much praise going to bigger names McCaleb, Bray, Mason, Blake, Wright, Frazier, Trotter, Parkey, etc. he becomes the forgotten hero. But in my opinion Harper's play was the single biggest play of the game.  It completed reversed the momentum of the game.  Hope Garrett makes many more big plays for Auburn.  But I would expect him to follow CGM to ASU. Gus was quoted as saying he spent more time recruiting a walkon (Harper) to AU than he did for most schollie guys.  At ASU GH would be a scholarship player and probably their go to speed receiver eventually. Talented kid but not likely to get that chance at Auburn. Hope KF talk his good friend into staying here with the Good Guys.

I actually thought the O-line was improved, McW.

The biggest surprise is your switch from RMcD to the Round Mound of Rebound! Plus your love for Chick-Fil-A. Those cows must've gotten to you!  :tease:

Once our O and D settled into the game you could easily see this was a typical SEC vs ACC match up. To me everything looked improved. Yes we gave up a bunch of yards and 21 points but the effort on every play was at a high level and I'll take pure effort over everything everyday because you cant coach effort.

What's a "wheel"?

A wheel is a device that allows heavy objects to be moved easily through rotating on an axle through its center, facilitating movement or transportation while supporting a load, or performing labor in machines. You asked. :yay:

A wheel is also Air Force jargon developed during WWII for a boss or a higher ranking officer.

:believe:

I hope and pray that #1 - Mike Dyer gets his life and attitude right. #2 - Makes ammends with his teammates and coaches and lastly, decide he wants to fulfill the immense potential he has regardless of the school.

I agree for the most part.  However, I hate to say it, but I was pretty disappointed in our fans.  They were for the most part, very flat and just looked to be bored most of the game.  I've noticed it some this season, and I cant for the life of me understand why we have been so flat this season.

This was not the case in the section we sat in. The Auburn fans around us were loud and rowdy. It had the feeling of a home game against a decent opponent. This was my first bowl game to attend in person in my 40+ years of following Auburn football. It won't be my last Lord willing! We had a blast. Hats off to the Chick-Fil-A folks and the people at the GA Dome. This is a great venue for football and I look forward to Auburn playing there twice next year (Clemson & SECCG)!

Archived