Odd Baseball Rules

AUTUmike

I'm a sucker for strange rules and for baseball so anyone with a good one please post it here.

One of my favorites is if a player uses their hat or a catcher uses their mask to field a ball then it results in a three-base advance for the runners.

One that comes to mind is the rule about  pinetar not being allowed past a certain point on the bat.I had never heard of that one untill the George Brett Billy Martin deal. :laugh:

One that comes to mind is the rule about  pinetar not being allowed past a certain point on the bat.I had never heard of that one untill the George Brett Billy Martin deal. :laugh:

As if excessive pine tar would actually enhance your performance.  :dunno:

I'm a sucker for strange rules and for baseball so anyone with a good one please post it here.

One of my favorites is if a player uses their hat or a catcher uses their mask to field a ball then it results in a three-base advance for the runners.

It also applies to throwing a glove at a live ball. 

It also applies to throwing a glove at a live ball. 

Ah nice. I saw where the rule basically reads that you can't displace any equipment from its normal position on a player's body in order to field a ball so that makes sense, but I hadn't thought of that.

If a ball hits the foul line or the foul pole it is a fair ball.  So why are they called foul lines and foul poles? 

I think it was a pretty smart thing to put the screens on the poles in fair territory to tell if a ball is in or out. Smart move there.

The pitcher throws a 45' fastball that bounces through the strike zone.  The batter can hit the pitch and the ball is in play.  The umpire cannot call the same pitch that is not put in play a strike.

The pitcher throws a 45' fastball that bounces through the strike zone.  The batter can hit the pitch and the ball is in play.  The umpire cannot call the same pitch that is not put in play a strike.

That's not really all that odd. The ball must cross over plate on the fly through the strike zone in order to be a strike. The batter can swing at anything he chooses, so long as he stays in the box and doesn't step on the plate.

Weird way to balk. Almost never see it. When the pitcher Steps from the rubber and throws to a base where there is no runner or no possibility of a play.

Weird way to balk. Almost never see it. When the pitcher Steps from the rubber and throws to a base where there is no runner or no possibility of a play.

It is also a balk if the pitcher delivers the ball to the plate while not facing the batter--never seen that one...

It is also a balk if the pitcher delivers the ball to the plate while not facing the batter--never seen that one...

How could that happen? Look towards second base and just throw behind your back?

How could that happen? Look towards second base and just throw behind your back?

That's all I could figure.

Also, it is a balk if any player (other than the catcher) is lined up in foul territory as a pitch is made.

It is possible to have 4 outs in 1/2 an inning instead of 3.

Let me give an example:

Scenario:

• 1 out, runners on 1st and 3rd.

The play:

• Sacrifice fly hit to outfield and caught (2nd out).
  • Runners tag up and advance after catch. 
  • Throw comes to the plate too late to get runner from third, a run scores.  (The scored run is the critical part)
  • The catcher then throws to second base to catch the runner from 1st who has rounded 2nd base too far and he is tagged out.  (3rd out)

Ok, 3 outs would normally end the 1/2 inning.  The offense would be happy to have scored a run on the play.

However, before players clear the field, the defense appeals to the umpire that the runner from 3rd left the bag too early on his tag up.  (Defense must throw the ball to 3rd and simply tag the base)

The defense wins the appeal, a 4th out is declared, and the run comes off the board.

Hope I described that good enough.

I love this thread.  I umpired baseball for 5 years and loved it.  I've umpired little league, high school including playoffs,  and even some semi-pro league games. 

If you have the time, I highly recommend getting involved in your local sports official association.  To me it was very rewarding.  Plus, they never have enough good people willing to do it.

I'm not sure that one isn't talking about the pitcher being on the rubber to make the pitch. If that's not what it is, then the only thing I can figure is like when the pitcher watches second base as he's going through his wind up but then looks back to the plate just as he delivers the ball; if he were to make the pitch without ever taking his eyes off the runner, it would be a balk.

I'm not sure that one isn't talking about the pitcher being on the rubber to make the pitch. If that's not what it is, then the only thing I can figure is like when the pitcher watches second base as he's going through his wind up but then looks back to the plate just as he delivers the ball; if he were to make the pitch without ever taking his eyes off the runner, it would be a balk.

Interesting they included the prospect of a no-look pitch in the rule book. That's why I love baseball.

Here's another one. The Cubs shall not win another world series.

Here's another one. The Cubs shall not win another world series.

Not as long as Soriano is still on payroll, at least.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure but I think if cought in hat of fasemask in fair rule applies but in foul its only a foul ball...I think this is right but its so crazy im not sure...also if a ball gets lodged in a feilders uniform all runners safely advance one base and ball is dead.

Archived