Whats the worst thing that could happen from this Points Shaving thing?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NCAA can't do a thing to Auburn. This has nothing to do with rule breaking. This is about a selfish kid, making money, to ensure that Auburn doesn't cover the point spread.

The NCAA can't do a thing to Auburn. This has nothing to do with rule breaking. This is about a selfish kid, making money, to ensure that Auburn doesn't cover the point spread.

Are you with the FBI?

Kinda concerned -

What would be the worst they could do to Auburn since its the FBI thats investigating and its a former player?

:believe:

Depends on what is found out. If it is what appears on the surface and what's being reported now then not much of anything. If Ward acted alone then this will be his problem and he's probably facing jail time. If Barbee/Jacobs reported as soon as they found, which I believe they did, then I feel the NCAA will just back off.

Be what we don't know yet is this just a one player isolated incident, did Ward have a bookie, how far back does this go and are any other players involved? The absolute worst thing that could come out is for more players to be involved and an Auburn booster to have been paying them off while betting against the team with Barbee having some knowledge of what was going on. If that's the case become familiar with the term "Death Penalty".  

Are you with the FBI?

Nope, I just have common sense. What NCAA rule did Auburn break? As I said in another thread on this subject....This is no different than our 4 idiot football players going and kicking in a trailer door. This is about a federal crime committed by an individual who just happens to play basketball for Auburn. This isn't about Auburn and any wrongdoing in any shape, form, or fashion.

Are you with the FBI?

Nope, I just have common sense. What NCAA rule did Auburn break? As I said in another thread on this subject....This is no different than our 4 idiot football players going and kicking in a trailer door. This is about a federal crime committed by an individual who just happens to play basketball for Auburn. This isn't about Auburn and any wrongdoing in any shape, form, or fashion.

I'm with you on this. BUT....this story is only 4 hrs. old right now. IF this has been going on for awhile and the NCAA deems that either Barbee or Jacobs should have known about it, then it could be looked at as lack of institutional control.

Are you with the FBI?

I'm with you on this. BUT....this story is only 4 hrs. old right now. IF this has been going on for awhile and the NCAA deems that either Barbee or Jacobs should have known about it, then it could be looked at as lack of institutional control.

That is an extreme strecth IMO. From what I know, the yahoo article, Auburn contacted the SEC, NCAA, and FBI as soon as they learned of this accusation. Auburn suspended two players immediately. After questioning both of the players, one was deemed to have no part in this. The other apparently is neck deep in it. Now if Auburn tried to hide it we would be in serious trouble. To be in trouble with the NCAA you have to break rules as an institution. Do you think Barbee knew a player was trying to throw games and kept playing him? Again, this is about an individual breaking the law. The fact he plays for us sucks, but it is what it is. I heard about this on BSPN. They made it very clear that Auburn was the ones that contacted the authorities about this. This shows me Auburn in no way tried to cover it up.

Are you with the FBI?

That is an extreme strecth IMO. From what I know, the yahoo article, Auburn contacted the SEC, NCAA, and FBI as soon as they learned of this accusation. Auburn suspended two players immediately. After questioning both of the players, one was deemed to have no part in this. The other apparently is neck deep in it. Now if Auburn tried to hide it we would be in serious trouble. To be in trouble with the NCAA you have to break rules as an institution. Do you think Barbee knew a player was trying to throw games and kept playing him? Again, this is about an individual breaking the law. The fact he plays for us sucks, but it is what it is. I heard about this on BSPN. They made it very clear that Auburn was the ones that contacted the authorities about this. This shows me Auburn in no way tried to cover it up.

Again I agree with you. I have full faith in both Barbee and Jacobs. I'm just a hope for the best, prepare for the worst type. Not an expect the worst type though. I'll view this the same way I did with Cam...I'll be happy when the FBI/NCAA issues a statement clearing Auburn.

Also, if it is found that any coach had knowledge of this before Ward was suspended and he was allowed to play after that knowledge was gained then Auburn could be in trouble as well. 

Reality check... Why would a coach EVER play a player who he knew was shaving points and hurting the team?  The only way that would happen is if the coach was in on it.  If that was the case, they would never have reported it at all.  So logic states that the program knew nothing about it, found out about it, benched Ward and notified all of the proper organizations.  Case closed.  This will stew in the media for a while and Auburn fans will just have to put up with all of the other SEC schools claiming that we pay off the NCAA because they will, once again, say we are clean even though something happening around us isn't.

An Auburn booster....paying players to purposefully throw a game??  Um, I just don't see that happening.  These boosters throw money into AU to win...at all costs.  Especially NOT against Bama.  No way. 

I don't know how much it matters, but it stands out to me that Ward is a transfer. 

Does it seem odd that there is nothing about a person, as in who, paying for shaved points, if the player(s) were cashing in by betting themselves, player(s) got paid such and such, or whatever?  Just that as result of a rumor that yada yada.  It just doesn't seem like enough info and isn't there something factual?

An Auburn booster....paying players to purposefully throw a game??  Um, I just don't see that happening.  These boosters throw money into AU to win...at all costs.  Especially NOT against Bama.  No way. 

I don't know how much it matters, but it stands out to me that Ward is a transfer. 

I know it sounds farfetched, but who in the world would bet on Auburn basketball? The more I think about it the more nervous I get. It could very well be someone from Texas, Las Vegas or the Moon that was talking to Ward. But it is not out of the realm of possibility that it could be someone with ties to the program that got to him. I'm just saying it's a little premature to assume that no trouble will come from this.

Let me put it this way for those people concerned that Auburn might get in trouble from this....There is a greater chance that Alabama might get in trouble from this than Auburn. From what I have heard and read, the Alabama and Arkansas game are the 2 games under investigation. An Alabama booster of some sort couldve paid Varez to do this... a little far feched but definately realistic

NCAA came down pretty hard on past point-shaving scandals, didn't KY nearly get the death penalty? Also believe Tulane suspended the Bball program over their scandal? Now if found that Ward owed his bookie or drug supplier, and had to shave to avoid breaking both knees, AU will not get slapped as hard UNLESS an AU booster is involved. If Ward has any sense he will tell all to authorities so they can go after the person that set this up-

I don't think we will know anything until more comes out. I don't think we can assume what will happen or believe any rumors unless they are proven as facts. Waiting is the painful part of the process of finding out what will come of this.

Couple of interesting tweets.

Justin Hokanson ‏ @JHokanson

'I don't see any way for Auburn to be penalized for this': Ward allegations report (FREE) bit.ly/zPHLLS

Charles Robinson: "There's not been any indication whatsoever, that Auburn University was in the wrong."

Charles Robinson Audio: Auburn wasted no time reporting allegations bit.ly/zR3pAI

I have a feeling that the Auburn family should all be very concerned. The NCAA actions is child's play when you have the FBI knocking on your door.

Reality check... Why would a coach EVER play a player who he knew was shaving points and hurting the team?  The only way that would happen is if the coach was in on it.  If that was the case, they would never have reported it at all.  So logic states that the program knew nothing about it, found out about it, benched Ward and notified all of the proper organizations.  Case closed.  This will stew in the media for a while and Auburn fans will just have to put up with all of the other SEC schools claiming that we pay off the NCAA because they will, once again, say we are clean even though something happening around us isn't.

Good post

Let me put it this way for those people concerned that Auburn might get in trouble from this....There is a greater chance that Alabama might get in trouble from this than Auburn. From what I have heard and read, the Alabama and Arkansas game are the 2 games under investigation. An Alabama booster of some sort couldve paid Varez to do this... a little far feched but definately realistic

Farfetched, but not impossible IMO, why would you throw the game against your bitter rival? In any case Ward is done at AU and I know we have the best compliance department in the ncaa so I think AU will be clear

Yeah I don't sees a coach or AD fixing games so they can loss. They both stand to make way more money by winning those games.

[/

I know it sounds farfetched, but who in the world would bet on Auburn basketball? The more I think about it the more nervous I get. It could very well be someone from Texas, Las Vegas or the Moon that was talking to Ward. But it is not out of the realm of possibility that it could be someone with ties to the program that got to him. I'm just saying it's a little premature to assume that no trouble will come from this.

quote]You have been reading too many detective stories. You can take a very negative approach if you wish, but it will drive to crazy.

If this does turn out to be true, there are 2 possibilities (IMHO): Ward acted alone--had a bookie and had some money on the game or games; or, Ward was contacted by someone who put up some money for him to throw the game(s) in question. If it is scenario #2, would the FBI go easier on Ward if he were to turn state's evidence on the person or persons who possibly paid him to throw these games? Are referees involved, and why would someone pay Ward to throw a game if they already were paying referees to throw the game? Besides, the SEC is well-known for having possibly the worst officiating crew in basketball and football, so why would anyone suspect any of them of cheating?

We AU fans, alums, students need to get ready and brace ourselves for the media outcry on this. Once again, AU will be dragged through the mud, regardless of what Charles Robinson says. It strikes me as kinda funny that with all the crap about Saban and those 2 kids he screwed about scholarships and all the mess about Kouandjo (I know, misspelled) and the Calloway kid and the Gadsden Dodge Dealership and T-Town Menswear, that THIS would hit now. How fortuitous for those jerks in Tuscaloosa.

I rally don't seeing us getting in trouble for this one, now Ward on the other hand is going to be in jail with Updyke

We don't know that.  We only failed to cover the spread 4 times in SEC play. The arky game being investigated is NOT one of them.   

There were never any large bets placed in Vegas, nor were there any large point swings.

This is starting to be a very weird story.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/03/fbi_questioning_suspended_aubu.html

Archived