Whats the worst thing that could happen from this Points Shaving thing?

^^Sure man - you're "right" about it all. :rolleyes:

you right, i did put to many rights, right?  a little to smart allecky than i typically do.  a little squirrelly this afternoon.  i need to go exercise and drink a beer.

You can skip the exercise  ;)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is a shame but Auburn (even on FOX) needs to be hit and hit heavy.  I think it is coming and incidents like this may open the NCAA's eyes.  that would be awful to say the least.

Is that you Mike Dyer? 

It is a shame but Auburn (even on FOX) needs to be hit and hit heavy.  I think it is coming and incidents like this may open the NCAA's eyes.  that would be awful to say the least.

This guy is obviously not an Auburn fan. Please ban him  :zapbama::beatmullet:

I smell a rat, or a turd of some nature.

Who let this bammer on here?

Huh? Why does Auburn need to be hit hard and heavy? Please explain. What did Auburn do?

Really! That is kind of moronic!

If Auburn has 1 player that makes a horrible decision and they take immediate action, not sure I get why the University would get hit heavy!

It looks to me like that coach and the AD did exactly what they should have done. Therefore I do not think they will get in any trouble. I don't think the refs blew the bammer game. I know a lot of you do but I don't. What killed us in that game is our total inability to handle their defensive pressure. I am a little concerned that one player was very quickly cleared and the other was not. I do not know  if he is guilty or not. That will be for others to decide. I do know that throughout the season there were a lot of people complaining about his play. A frequently heard criticism was about how inconsistent his play was. The inconsistency of his play is the one thing that concerns me.

Bama was awarded 32 free throw attempts in that game and Auburn 12.  Does that not look a little one-sided to you??  A couple of the technicals were a little questionable also.  Sure AU played poorly in that game, but the main difference was the free throw advantage. Auburn hit 2/12 and Bama made 24-26/32 (forgot the exact number).

Bama was awarded 32 free throw attempts in that game and Auburn 12.  Does that not look a little one-sided to you??  A couple of the technicals were a little questionable also.  Sure AU played poorly in that game, but the main difference was the free throw advantage. Auburn hit 2/12 and Bama made 24-26/32 (forgot the exact number).

I watched that game.....and it was just strange right from the start. There was some extra tension in the air beyond  bama being in the house, and beyond AU not having a great team. That game just felt odd to me. I put it down as bad officiating coupled with the usual arrogance of bama, and my love for AU.

Now I do have to question why that game seemed to have such a heavy atmosphere. Maybe there was another reason for all the bad vibes.

... I am a little concerned that one player was very quickly cleared and the other was not. ...

I am too and I think it would be reasonable for Auburn to at least explain how that player was cleared.

There is an ongoing investigation by the FBI and the NCAA.  Don't expect any comments from anyone associated with Auburn University while the investigation(s) is being conducted.  I'm sure the university has been given a gag order. 

I must say that after all the initial fuss ...it seems to me that there might not be as much to this as first reported. I say that after thinking more about the empirical evidence and listening to some folks talk about the charges.   

The evidence favoring Ward .... mostly concerns the absence of betting line impact, nothing from Las Vegas, the fact that the spread did not come into play in any of the games, and that so far, there is no indication that anyone benefitted....either Ward or some gambler.   If Ward benefitted, that should be easy enough to find out.  On the other hand, if someone talked to him about the idea and Ward did not report it...that's different though not the same as him taking action against the AU team's interest.

Some more or less neutral observers opined that the idea that point shaving might have taken place made absolutely no sense...."nutty" was one term I heard.

Just for the record, I was on the "hang him high" bandwagon early on but am now having some serious second thoughts on the matter.

Otherwise, I have seen nothing (except from a few gleeful bammers) to indicate that AU failed to take action in a timely manner when the coaches learned of the POSSIBILITY that Ward had been involved in illegal activities.

I'm looking for the best possible outcome. ...Ward probably gone and that's the end of it.

:we:   

Anyone else think that this could possibly NOT be about gambling?  Remember, point shaving does not necessarily mean gambling was involved. 

If a player was paid to throw a game for the results of bolstering another team, that would still be point shaving. 

Now, how does Arky relate to all of this? 

And, could it be plausible that it was Denson that turned Ward in to the coaches, and he was suspended to insure he was "clean" to play since he had knowledge of a potential felony being committed?  Maybe that is why Denson was reinstated. 

Rumor from bammers believe one of there supended players were in with Ward.

I had thought about this the other day.  Is there any chance Tony Mitchell was in any way involved with this?  That would explain why he's been gone for so long. 

why would players from both teams need to be in on a fix?  or are they thinking turd players were involved with the same bookie but aside from ward?

if so we had players from both teams and the officials trying to fix the game.

why would players from both teams need to be in on a fix?  or are they thinking turd players were involved with the same bookie but aside from ward?

if so we had players from both teams and the officials trying to fix the game.

Don't know anything about rumors but don't get caught up thinking that having players involved from competing schools  is illogical.  Any 'fixers' could be trying to fix more than one game and if that was the case they would not necessarily need a player to shave points in every game they played.

I had thought about this the other day.  Is there any chance Tony Mitchell was in any way involved with this?  That would explain why he's been gone for so long. 

Tony Mitchell was suspended prior to the AU/UA game, was he not?

Tony Mitchell was suspended prior to the AU/UA game, was he not?

Yes, but it doesn't necessarily have to be that game.  Besides, if Varez was supposed to throw that game it wouldn't matter for Mitchell.  It could be about some other games earlier in the season for Mitchell. 

Wouldn't that be interesting if this were true and the bammers knew of the scheme but did NOT report it.  That could open them up to some pretty serious violations.

But I doubt that it is true, IMO.

There have been some posts in different threads on here about there being several bammers in the SEC offices. 

Maybe Mitchell was suspended and bama notified the SEC and the bammers in the SEC office kept quiet.  But when AU reported Ward, one of those bammers decided he just had to leak it and try to hurt AU.

There have been some posts in different threads on here about there being several bammers in the SEC offices. 

Maybe Mitchell was suspended and bama notified the SEC and the bammers in the SEC office kept quiet.  But when AU reported Ward, one of those bammers decided he just had to leak it and try to hurt AU.

That's possible.  Maybe they leaked it because we notified the FBI and made the SEC office look bad for not doing so itself?

That's possible.  Maybe they leaked it because we notified the FBI and made the SEC office look bad for not doing so itself?

Interesting name Velvet Beavis.  It got me to wondering:  Is there a Silk Butthead out there somewhere?

Archived