Basketball Uniform

dave69

I don't know how many people agree with me on this but I absolutely hate the basketball uniforms with the baggy pants that come almost to the ankles.  It not only is ugly to my eyes but it looks very uncomfortable.  I was curious about the change from the short shorts so I investigated on the internet.  From the information I found it appears that Michael Jordon was the main reason for this change.  It appears that when he was winded and having to lean with his hands on his knees he wanted something to support his hands and this apparently led to the ridiculously baggy long pants.  I know this is a stupid question, but does anyone else feel this way?

WDE

Jordan took the short shorts to a medium length. Jalen Rose and the Fab 5 took it to a whole new level. It's an issue of context and comfort for some people.

Jordan took the short shorts to a medium length. Jalen Rose and the Fab 5 took it to a whole new level. It's an issue of context and comfort for some people.

^^This^^ another little tidbet about the Fab 5 was they never won any kind of championship conference or national

Have you ever played in the long shorts? They are more comfortable than you think they are. Loose unis while you are playing hoop is the way to go.

Have you ever played in the long shorts? They are more comfortable than you think they are. Loose unis while you are playing hoop is the way to go.

No, I haven't but I guess I'm just a throw-back.  I grew up in the '50's and I just can't stand short-sleeve shirts with sleeves that go all the way to my elbows, and I can't stand short pants that are knee length or longer.  It's not just the feel, but I don't like the look either.  I guess in today's world I'm just weird.

WDE

No, I haven't but I guess I'm just a throw-back.  I grew up in the '50's and I just can't stand short-sleeve shirts with sleeves that go all the way to my elbows, and I can't stand short pants that are knee length or longer.  It's not just the feel, but I don't like the look either.  I guess in today's world I'm just weird.

WDE

You would get along great with a lot of the frat boys in Auburn today  :laugh:

WDE

Nah, you're not weird, I am with you on the sleeves going to the elbow. I can't stand it when sleeves touch my elbows.

I will take the long shorts over the short shorts anyday.  I found a poster of Larry Bird in short shorts and it looked like the before shot of a Nair commercial.   

I will take the long shorts over the short shorts anyday.   I found a poster of Larry Bird in short shorts and it looked like the before shot of a Nair commercial.   

Good one. Ha!  :thumbsup:

I've always hated those baggy shorts. There so long that you almost can't call them shorts.

10-4 on that.  Plus they look horrible.

WDE

When I read the title I thought this would be a post about how horrible our orange basketball uniforms are.  I don't understand why we wear them. 

When I read the title I thought this would be a post about how horrible our orange basketball uniforms are.  I don't understand why we wear them. 

Because a lot of fans like them.  :dunno:

Oh then if some small minority likes it I guess we should do it.  Hopefully the AD doesn't find out that someone wants to see them in 70's style shorts, or the football team wear orange jerseys or orange facemasks.  Those things make about as much sense as Auburn wearing Orange uniforms on a regular basis.

Oh then if some small minority likes it I guess we should do it.  Hopefully the AD doesn't find out that someone wants to see them in 70's style shorts, or the football team wear orange jerseys or orange facemasks.   Those things make about as much sense as Auburn wearing Orange uniforms on a regular basis.

I promise you it's not a "small minority". Just so you know every Auburn team outside of football wears an orange jersey on a regular basis. It's make perfect sense to me, ya know, sense Auburn's colors are orange and blue.

Oh then if some small minority likes it I guess we should do it.  Hopefully the AD doesn't find out that someone wants to see them in 70's style shorts, or the football team wear orange jerseys or orange facemasks.   Those things make about as much sense as Auburn wearing Orange uniforms on a regular basis.

I promise you it's not a "small minority". Just so you know every Auburn team outside of football wears an orange jersey on a regular basis. It's make perfect sense to me, ya know, sense Auburn's colors are orange and blue.

No it's not.  The school colors are navy blue and burnt orange and it wasn't that long ago (last 20 years) when the basketball team started wearing orange. I know the sayings lets go big blue, and kick em in the butt big blue are common Auburn cheers.  Lets go big orange, not so much.  I have not heard of any plans to change bodda getta?  And since I didn't see a memo that Auburn has changed to orange as the official primary color I will keep my opinion. It's okay though I will let you keep yours too. But even if orange was our primary color I honestly don't see how anyone would think those uni's are good looking.  And I have heard many say they don't like them, but i have never actually met an AU fan who thought they were appealing or liked them so much that they wanted to see them instead of blue uni's. 

BTW to be clear I love the fans wearing orange because it shows up in the stands and that actually makes sense. 

No it's not.  The school colors are navy blue and burnt orange and it wasn't that long ago (last 20 years) when the basketball team started wearing orange. I know the sayings lets go big blue, and kick em in the butt big blue are common Auburn cheers.  Lets go big orange, not so much.   I have not heard of any plans to change bodda getta?  And since I didn't see a memo that Auburn has changed to orange as the official primary color I will keep my opinion. It's okay though I will let you keep yours too. But even if orange was our primary color I honestly don't see how anyone would think those uni's are good looking.  And I have heard many say they don't like them, but i have never actually met an AU fan who thought they were appealing or liked them so much that they wanted to see them instead of blue uni's. 

BTW to be clear I love the fans wearing orange because it shows up in the stands and that actually makes sense. 

I'm confused. What do you mean no it's not. Auburn list it's school colors as orange pms 158 or 172, and blue pms 289. In that order too. Orange and Blue. One is not listed as primary over the other. I don't get why so many people are down on the orange. And I also know the basketball team has worn orange unis as far back as 1970. But you're right, the uniforms themselves are not great. But it's the design. The whites and navys aren't all that great either. If we could go back to a design similar to this it would be much better.

Archived