Toomer's Trees Update: April 2012

Ronald McDonald

While this is certainly not good news, it may not be all that bad.  I would imagine that the anticipated fate of the trees may impact Updyke's sentencing, so maybe he gets a longer term.  Then maybe a miracle occurs and the trees pull through and Harv rots anyway.  There's always hope until the trees are actually dead.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about this . . .

You cannot remove all the tainted soil from the site. You can remove the trees to a new location - I'm thinking about an open area - perhaps at the Heritage Farm by Hamm Wilson Arena and the lake there where the trees can be transplanted into untainted soil. You can bare root a tree this size (major undertaking no matter what) and plant with a proper irrigation and misting and nutrition system in place. Both trees. Close together. I've seen this done.

And then plant the seedlings around the remaining open acreage (about 5 acres there) around the damaged trees.

Instant new tradition - Toomers Oaks Grove

Instant new meeting place

and closer to the stadium . . .

THEN replant the corner of College and Magnolia with one suitable Oak (not a Live Oak) on a larger planned plaza constructed with porous brick and engineered soils to prevent the damage that thise tree have sustained over the years . . . 

Hmmmm, Stealthy are you just thinking of a very specific possible solution out loud  wink.gif  OR are you telegraphing what the actual plan is?!? lipsrsealed.gif  Inquiring minds want to know!!  dunno.gif 

Yeah, something tells me he's not just whistlin' Dixie there...

All I would like to see if they do indeed remove the trees is a final rolling that fills not only those trees with toilet paper but the entire street. A rolling so massive that it makes the rolling after the national championship look like nothing.

Hide yo kids, hide yo wife, and hide yo toilet paper too cuz they're rollin' everything out there!!!  laugh.gif 

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hide yo kids, hide yo wife, and hide yo toilet paper too cuz they're rollin' everything out there!!!  laugh.gif 

BRILLIANT!!!

Hmmmm, Stealthy are you just thinking of a very specific possible solution out loud  wink.gif  OR are you telegraphing what the actual plan is?!? lipsrsealed.gif   Inquiring minds want to know!!  dunno.gif 

Thinking out loud and Dit Dotting away to the suits to think outside the box a bit. I'm not very hopeful anyone will even like this idea in Samford. But there it is anyway . . .

Hmmmm, Stealthy are you just thinking of a very specific possible solution out loud  wink.gif  OR are you telegraphing what the actual plan is?!? lipsrsealed.gif   Inquiring minds want to know!!  dunno.gif 

Thinking out loud and Dit Dotting away to the suits to think outside the box a bit. I'm not very hopeful anyone will even like this idea in Samford. But there it is anyway . . .

Well I, for one, like the idea, though I would rather have saplings or young mature trees already sprouted from the seeds of the Toomers Oaks than to just plant the seeds around them. But :dunno:

seedlings = young trees, so we are in sync . . .

I brought up the idea of a grove from the seedlings a few pages back 0-- knowing it would be a long term project. Question for you stealthy -- Assuming the seedlings available to the university are a 2-3 feet tall, how big would they be in 10 years...if they were planted in the area you mentioned?

I walked around the Toomer Oaks yesterday after the game taking some photos and picking up some of the leaves showing the poison damage.  I was saddened by the obvious significant harm that continues to show on the trees. cry.gif

But while I was sitting there, I had an idea somewhat along the lines of what Stealthy was suggesting.  Clearly, the Magnolia Oak is the one that is the most unsightly among the two trees.  Instead of going all or nothing on a solution as most have suggested, why don't we use the Magnolia Oak as a first/test case--dig it out, bare root it and transplant it into a location where it would receive the best care and best possible chance of survival.  Then go in and excavate the tainted soil that would now be exposed and place an underground barrier to prevent any future possible leaching of any remaining poison into the replaced soil.  Then transplant a large oak tree into the Magnolia Oak's former spot using one of the methods we've seen/talked about earlier in this thread.  If it worked out, the College Oak could be removed maybe a year later using the same technique, culminating with a second large healthy oak taking it's place too.  If it doesn't work, then maybe some tough decisions would still have to be made. If nothing else, it would provide some good data on what to or what not to do with the College Oak. 

With a lot of luck and some good planning, maybe the two original Toomer's Oaks could live out their "retirement" as the star attractions in a new Toomer's Grove or possibly even in the arboretum?  Hopefully it would be a place where they are secure and healthy.  This is a possible long-term solution that might satisfy both crowds--the crowd that doesn't want to give up on the two original trees and those who think this is the time for us to move forward with a more perpetual solution.  What do you think?  Stealthy?  Anybody?  Bueller?  dunno.gif

I think that in order to replant anything at Toomer’s that whole area is going to have to be excavated. I don't think that you will be able to remove the poison without removing everything. It's just spread too far. I Feel that if you just did one tree that it would pick up residual contamination from the surrounding area. I don't think there would be any way to completely create a barrier from the rest of the infected area.

I like your idea of moving the 2 trees to another location for them to retire. I'm definitely down for this. It just feels like the responsible thing to do. Not sure they would survive the replanting process in the poor health state.

I think the whole area needs to be done all together. Move the trees. Dig up that whole area. continue to test the soil until all contamination is gone. Then replace the soil along with new trees and shrubs brought in.

Somehow I remembered reading "seeds", not "seedlings", so that's my mistake...and I meant younger trees as a way to differentiate between those around 10 years old and those around 2 or 3. Not sure exactly how the terminology changes as trees get older.

I brought up the idea of a grove from the seedlings a few pages back 0-- knowing it would be a long term project. Question for you stealthy -- Assuming the seedlings available to the university are a 2-3 feet tall, how big would they be in 10 years...if they were planted in the area you mentioned?

With variability you get fomr seedlings - they soul deasily be 15' to 20'. Remember that live oaks are a relatively slow growing species.

There are older and larger progeny available . . .

With variability you get from seedlings - they should easily be 15' to 20'. Remember that live oaks are a relatively slow growing species.

There are older and larger progeny available . . .

FIFY...you must be on your phone Stealthy tongue.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I went down Sunday afternoon to bring some of my daughters stuff home before finals and we went over to Toomers for lunch. There are a lot of empty limbs and the ones that do have leaves look pretty bad. I had not heard any news on how they were doing for a couple s of months and at the time things sound better but I really don't think the are going to make it no matter what happens at this point.

Archived