Toomer's Trees Update: April 2012

Ronald McDonald

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never thought I would care so much about the health of two trees. 

I never thought I would have to. Sometimes we just take things for granted.

I have never in my life been this excited about "Rhizomic shoots" as I am today.

:laugh: :laugh:

very encouraging news. Thanks for posting, Westie

That is one of the better summations to date.

Note that the trees are not exhibiting tissue damage on those areas that remain alive. If they remain whole, that's a positive. If there is toxin remaining, the leaves will 'burn' with the symptomatic marginal browning.

Once all is said and done, the trees have to survive on their own. Supplementing nutrients via injections is a one and done deal unless a continuous feeding is opted for. There are other studies that discuss the potential damage using sugar injections and it is a risk that seems to be worth taking.

Pruning the dead wood will remove a significant portion of the canopy. In a normal situation, the verdant branches would be pruned too to balance the tree. In this case it would be detrimental to remove any active areas - so the Oaks as they remain will look very different . . .

Note that the trees are not exhibiting tissue damage on those areas that remain alive. If they remain whole, that's a positive. If there is toxin remaining, the leaves will 'burn' with the symptomatic marginal browning.

Once all is said and done, the trees have to survive on their own. Supplementing nutrients via injections is a one and done deal unless a continuous feeding is opted for. There are other studies that discuss the potential damage using sugar injections and it is a risk that seems to be worth taking.

Pruning the dead wood will remove a significant portion of the canopy. In a normal situation, the verdant branches would be pruned too to balance the tree. In this case it would be detrimental to remove any active areas - so the Oaks as they remain will look very different . . .

That's one thing that has concerned me. If anyone has seen the trees lately you know they don't look too good, despite the new foliage. Now they are going to prune even more branches back. Odds are even if the trees ultimately survive they will never look the same. Now my question to everyone is would you rather the school plant new, healthy trees, or continue to try and save them even with the knowledge that they will likely never be the same again?

That's one thing that has concerned me. If anyone has seen the trees lately you know they don't look too good, despite the new foliage. Now they are going to prune even more branches back. Odds are even if the trees ultimately survive they will never look the same. Now my question to everyone is would you rather the school plant new, healthy trees, or continue to try and save them even with the knowledge that they will likely never be the same again?

Save them. It would be great to have updyke eat his own words.

Yeah definitely save them IMO. Their scars will just be a testament to the Auburn spirit for the remainder of their life.

I know I'm in the minority, but I think I would rather see the University replace the current trees with full grown oaks. They look pitiful in their current state, and are more than likely going to get worse.

That is a tough question.

I think replanting mature oaks would be an immense project and nearly impossible to get them to live. I am not a horticulturist so I could be wrong but the odds of planting mature oaks and them living are long.

I think the scars we will see will be a testament to the Auburn Spirit.

I seriously want to send Dr. Keever a fruit basket or something. I appreciate how hardcore they have approached the care of our trees.

I very much appreciate Westie posting the link.

Good on you Bro.

The day will come and the right thing to do will be to do the right thing.

The right thing is to help us heal and leave the actions of a fool behind us.

As much as it pains me, I think @ some point in time, the right thing will be for us to remove them.

Replanting I will leave to the experts.  They'll repair the scar on our landscape.

Let me say this,  once they are gone,  we need to leave the vitrol towards Harvey's Idols alone,

at least as it pertains to their part in spawning Harvey.

And we need to not let the fool or his fold have an impact on the Auburn image of ourselves.

It will be an Auburn decision made by Auburn for the best interests of Auburn.

The reason we made the decision is the past .

We do not need to remind some of our less "  luvable '' kin of their part in our decision.

WDE

I don't think it's possible to transplant fully grown oaks to the spot, and even if it is, I wouldn't want to do it. We can't just pretend it didn't happen, because then the pain festers underneath. Fully mature oaks would diminish everything about Toomer's Corner, because you can't just replace the history held in the dying timbers of those beloved trees.

At this point, I want to see if we can save them, and if so then how much we can save. I mean, the people working on this are literally the best in the world, so why not take the shot? If it is determined that the trees are going to die no matter what, or if there will not be much left, then the better thing to do, IMO, is to replant. Bring in saplings, preferably from the seeds of the old oaks, and give it around 15 years. Yeah, that's a long time, and we'll have to find somewhere else to roll for a while, but it's the best option I see.

However, there is still apparently hope that we can save enough that is worth salvaging to make the effort worthwhile, and thus the efforts continue.

Pruning the dead wood will remove a significant portion of the canopy. In a normal situation, the verdant [/color]

The Auburn family will never be the same.  We, like the trees, are a living organism on the earth. Adapting to the scorn and adversity we face. Ever growing and fighting to survive.  Both will have scars  and be different, but both will survive and evolve and endure.  We may be trimmed, maybe grow, sicker, healthier, we will lose critical branches of our Family and our oaks.  Both wil survive and adapt.  Yes the oaks will survive, somehow, someway.  Even if only throughthe saplings that have been planted throughout the south land, just like the Family.

I'd like to try and contact a "Plant a tree" organization in effort to plant a few Toomer's Corner seedlings as close to the stadium in Tuscaloosa as possible. Anyone know of such an organization for the cause?

We have the technology to transplant very large mature trees. There is a device that scoops a huge rootball and covers it in burlap and the tree can then be transferred by helicopter into place. If the trees do die then I would like to see this done. But I was by there yesterday and there is a lot of dark green growth. The sight warmed my heart!

I'd like to try and contact a "Plant a tree" organization in effort to plant a few Toomer's Corner seedlings as close to the stadium in Tuscaloosa as possible. Anyone know of such an organization for the cause?

You really think they'd last longer than a week?

Just try not to tell anybody for a loooong time.

Just a thought, replace the tr :party:ees with smaller ones.  make Updike stand there and let AU fans roll him until the smaller trees are mature.  jk, wouldn't want him involved in an AU tradition.

That's why I said contact them....let them do it. No one would have to know where the seeds came from. Just contact the organization and let them do the rest

I received my Toomer's seedling last fall, transplanted it to a large flower pot and keep it warm all winter.  It is now out side and already has about 6" of new growth.  I've got a spot picked out on the side of my lot (I live in the Memphis area)- right next to my next-door-neighbor-bammer-fan's house.  I am looking forward to the day it starts dropping acorns in a bammer's back yard.  Doubt I ever tell him where it came from - he's got too much updyke in him. 

We have the technology to transplant very large mature trees. There is a device that scoops a huge rootball and covers it in burlap and the tree can then be transferred by helicopter into place. If the trees do die then I would like to see this done. But I was by there yesterday and there is a lot of dark green growth. The sight warmed my heart!

Indeed.  Though it would certainly be challenging based on the location, my guess is Auburn University and city officials would do whatever was necessary (Closing roads, moving wires, etc.) if it meant replacing the storied Toomer's Oak Trees.  Of course, we're not there yet and my hope is that this isn't necessary for a very long time!! 

Heres a couple monsters being transplanted (below).  War Treagle!

picture_transplanting04.jpg

6666d1216378112-large-tree-transplants-giantboab.jpg

Still don't like the idea of transplanting fully grown oaks too much...

Archived