Toomer's Trees Update: April 2012

Ronald McDonald

How long ago did Auburn start growing trees from acorns of the Toomer trees? If there are any ten to fifteen years old then they would be good trees to transplant as replacements. Or even if the trees survive for now then transplant later when the young trees are larger .

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the link the information gives hope.

As far as replacing the trees or not my .02.  Until those who know say there is no hope we stay the course to save the trees. Transplanting a mature tree is a possibility and would be fine with me.  We do what we must to preserve the tradition.

My thanks goes out to all who have done so much to get us to this point.

How long ago did Auburn start growing trees from acorns of the Toomer trees? If there are any ten to fifteen years old then they would be good trees to transplant as replacements. Or even if the trees survive for now then transplant later when the young trees are larger .

Now that's something I could get on board with.

There are tons of oaks grown from Toomers Oaks acorns. I believe the University has a place they have been growing some for years. It may be best to keep the location secret, just in case.

There are tons of oaks grown from Toomers Oaks acorns. I believe the University has a place they have been growing some for years. It may be best to keep the location secret, just in case.

I would like to see a grove made from those toomers seedlings.

At a minimum I would like to see the current trees outlast updyke.  It would give him too much gratification to see them taken down.

I walked by and saw the trees this morning.  (BTW, what an absolutely beautiful day to be on Auburn campus!  Breezy, sunny, under 70 degrees.  Awesome!)  The Toomer oaks looked great, IMO.  A whole lot better than I remember them looking this same time last year. 

At a minimum I would like to see the current trees outlast updyke.  It would give him too much gratification to see them taken down.

That is a great idea. War Eagle.

Even though the trees have been pruned and they look different I would prefer to keep them there until they die. The canapy may grow back and look even healthier than before if they survive.

As for replaceing them. Hopefully they live and this will not be an issue for quite some time. but if they do, I would say there have to be some trees from the seeds of the two tree that are mature enough for transporting and are large enough for the tradition to continue once they take to the new location. Just grabbing any old oak to me just wouldn't be right.

Guest jrljr

Is there any way we could force Updyke to do upkeep on or near the trees? Say picking up leaves one at a time, pulling weeds, picking up debris, watering (supervised of course) or picking up trash? And could said days and times be made public so that an extraordinary amount of leaves and/or debris (accidentally of course) find their way to the area? I'm not saying I want to litter up the campus, but if it was known exactly what and where he was going to "asked" to maintain I'm certain there would be A'LOT for him to do. In fact I know I (and likely others) might just happen to be around to jeer (not cheer) him on!!!

:beatmullet:

Is there any way we could force Updyke to do upkeep on or near the trees? Say picking up leaves one at a time, pulling weeds, picking up debris, watering (supervised of course) or picking up trash? And could said days and times be made public so that an extraordinary amount of leaves and/or debris (accidentally of course) find their way to the area? I'm not saying I want to litter up the campus, but if it was known exactly what and where he was going to "asked" to maintain I'm certain there would be A'LOT for him to do. In fact I know I (and likely others) might just happen to be around to jeer (not cheer) him on!!!

HELL NO! I don't want him no where close to town or campus, Much less close to any vegitation on campus.

No, but I wouldn't mind getting one of our graphic designers to develop a virtual reality video game for him that made him do something like that, except tree branches would be firing down at him, trying to pin his hands to the ground. Or maybe just put the 2010 Iron Bowl on a continuous loop...

Guest jrljr

No, but I wouldn't mind getting one of our graphic designers to develop a virtual reality video game for him that made him do something like that, except tree branches would be firing down at him, trying to pin his hands to the ground. Or maybe just put the 2010 Iron Bowl on a continuous loop...

Yeah, I figured such. I would like to see that idiot ridiculed publicly though. Stockades perhaps?

Yeah, I figured such. I would like to see that idiot ridiculed publicly though. Stockades perhaps?

Actually, I don't. I've had many, many emotions run through me about that man, but I've come to the conclusion that the best punishment for him is nowhere near the spotlight, but rather in prison. I want him to rot in jail for the rest of his pathetic life, out of the public scope and watching helplessly as Gene Chizik runs Saban out of the state (which I do think will happen within the next five years, btw). The only mention I want to hear of him (as in actually him, not the use of his name to describe other such idiots) going forward is a notation of his passing while in federal prison, hopefully a good decade or two in the future so he has plenty of time to ponder the error of his ways.

Thats not good.

:'( :(

Not good news this morning, for sure.  :(

I'm wondering if we keep feeding the trees,  will the poison in the trees lessen over time?  Would the trees live long enough for that to happen?

I think the article in the OP link said the poison had a 5 year span but of course it lessens every year. I guess the idea is to counteract the poison by artificially feeding the tree in hopes of getting the trees to the point where the  effect of the poison is subsiding.

I would like to see a grove made from those toomers seedlings.

I've seen this grove before, and it's quite impressive...

manyents.png

Terrible news.. This story is likely to be up & down for quite awhile longer, hang in there Toomer's tree5.gif:we:

At this point I don't think there's any chance that they're going to pull through. Of course, my first thought when I heard that we'll be rolling the trees this fall regardless was, "Well, if that is the case, we'll just have to make sure we give 'em a grand send off by having reason to roll every single game day..."

Archived