McCalebb and Spring Practice

ballrun44

How come I didn't hear much about Ontarrio this Spring?  Anyone?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No need. I think everyone knows what Mac can do. We had three backs that needed evaluation time.

Dang I wish it were mid August!

I don't think OM will play a big role in this offense at RB. I'm thinking they may have some special stuff for him, but I don't see him being a work horse at all.

We're changing styles and we have a group of smaller RB (OM beng the smallest). Should be interesting when Jovon makes it in this summer.

JMO

The coaches know what O'Mac can do.  If you remember Dyer only got a handful of carries during the spring game in 11.  O'Mac will be there in September.

A lot of people are saying they don't think Omac will play a big part in the running game, but I have to disagree.  I know Mason, Grant and Blakely are more prototypical RB's in the SEC, but Omac is a perfect change-of-pace runner, who also catches the ball out of the backfield very well.  With Prosch blocking for him, Omac won't be asked to blast through the line, but only to hit the hole Prosch creates and turn on the jets.  I also still think we incorporate some version of the speed sweep, which is Omac's bread and butter.  He seems to be relentless in the weight room, and is one of the toughest players I have seen in a long time.  Some knock his willingness to get hit, but as long as it doesn't cost us games by not getting that extra yard, I think he is smart not to challenge a 240 LB running full steam. 

I can't wait to see defense trying to figure out how to stop Mason, Grant, Blakely and Omac, with Prosch blocking for them!!!  It is going to be fun to watch.

War Eagle!!!

I know we are moving away from the spread but I hope we keep a speed sweep or two for Omac.  He is so fast on the outside.  In fact, with the new pro-style I think we might catch defenses off guard with one. 

I don't think OM will play a big role in this offense at RB. I'm thinking they may have some special stuff for him, but I don't see him being a work horse at all.

We're changing styles and we have a group of smaller RB (OM beng the smallest). Should be interesting when Jovon makes it in this summer.

JMO

Disagree.. Why in the world would you not use OMac as RB, when he has been one of our most productive offensive players with 4 years experience? Will his role be more specialized and expanded? Yes, I see that. Saying he will not be a RB in this system, WRONG!!

No need. I think everyone knows what Mac can do. We had three backs that needed evaluation time.

Dang I wish it were mid August!

Correct.. OMAC has been playing for 3 years. This will make his fourth. OMAC is not a secret and he has cemented his position and status.

Doesn't mean he will not have to work to learn his place and role in the new system, but he is a well known quantity. No need to risk injury to OMAC... Notice Mason did not get many carries either in A-DAY game. That does not mean they are down on the depth chart, just the opposite. They are the two projected starters, at least for now.

JMO

Disagree.. Why in the world would you not use OMac as RB, when he has been one of our most productive offensive players with 4 years experience? Will his role be more specialized and expanded? Yes, I see that. Saying he will not be a RB in this system, WRONG!!

Calm down and read again.....(I said he would have some special stuff).

We have different opinions, but that doesn't mean either of us are wrong at this point.

My two cents.

Ontario will still get carries (Rightfully so).  In my opinion he just doesn't have the moves a running back must have to be successful.  He has speed to burn but does not have lateral quickness (He just is not the type to make a man miss).  They will identify a role for him but I don't understand how fans can watch him run and think he has the quickness (not speed) to be a running back.  His natural instincts are not those of a running back.

I love the guy but if you truly watch his film I believe you will understand those that are hesitant to pencil him in as a big time player in this scheme. 

We are all pulling for him but can't have blinders on about the kind of player he is.

SEC defenses have figured out OMac. I think Clemson has too. Defend the perimeter, and he'll run out of bounds. UVA wasnt prepared, and he had a huge game. He has value in that when he is on the field, that is something you consciously have to defend and gameplan for. But he will not be a feature SEC back. I have said since his freshman year that he has a valuble niche in the offense, and he should be used for that. Don't try to put OMac in a position he isnt built for.

OMac and Mason both will no doubt be featured heavily in the offense. I think Luper has already said that they know what OMac can do so they have been trying to see what the others can. From all indication Mason had the most consistent spring with Grant showing big play ability. I think Mason, OMac, and Grant get the bulk of the carries. Although Blakely did look good Saturday

My two cents.

Ontario will still get carries (Rightfully so).  In my opinion he just doesn't have the moves a running back must have to be successful.  He has speed to burn but does not have lateral quickness (He just is not the type to make a man miss).  They will identify a role for him but I don't understand how fans can watch him run and think he has the quickness (not speed) to be a running back.  His natural instincts are not those of a running back.

I love the guy but if you truly watch his film I believe you will understand those that are hesitant to pencil him in as a big time player in this scheme. 

We are all pulling for him but can't have blinders on about the kind of player he is.

^^^This.

Speed Sweep is his play gives him a chance to get momentum plus he can find a seam and run through it. Catching the ball out of the back field should also be his bread and butter. Lefty has plenty of tape on this guy and will design plays to feature his abilities.

To be fair, in the past few years he has only averaged like 5 carries per game. I can easily see him keeping those 5, and then having an increased roll in the passing game. I don't think he'll be the feature back, but who is honestly expecting him to be? That said, I think his roll will increase overall because lefty is going to throw to his running backs more often and OMAC is probably the best receiver of the bunch.

Speed kills...every time he touches the ball it could be for 10-15 yards or a touchdown...as an OC you find ways to get a guy like that the ball in space...And please let not discount his leadership as a senior..

As for his lateral quickness he had some nice runs in the meltdown in TTOWN going lateral...and he had few fakes that mares some guys miss..

I think the bowl game against Virginia showed how he can be most effective. I would love to lineup in some sets where he is split out and Mason is behind Kiehl. Playfake to mason and throw a quick little swing pass or out route to OMac and let him find some open spaces. There is no doubt that he will be an integral part of our offense. Also his KR abilities will be important as well

IMHO....he stayed for his senior season for a reason. I don't think he would've stayed if there wasn't a plan to use him. He's more than earned his time on the field.

If Onterio could make better cuts laterally without slipping all the time he would be consensus all american

Its his lack of cutting ability thats keeping him from putting up Percy Harvin type numbers.

I think we'll see him get plenty of touches out of Ace 3 wide sets though

Glad you guys didn't jump on me for my opinion because that is all it is.

Ontario will be a great asset in the passing game and playing special teams.  People seem to lump Mason in the same boat as Ontario.  I don't see it that way at all.  Mason is very fast but he is much larger than Ontario, cuts on a dime, and explodes through the hole.  My opinion about Ontario does not reflect how I feel about Mason.  

Tre Mason will be a household name by the end of this year.  

Great vision, speed, quickness, and follows his blocking as an RB should.  I LOVE the RB's we have on campus already and Robinson should bring added size and skill we don't currently have.  I look for an LSU type of rotation at RB.

Some of you guys are funny. OMac has 2,016 career rushing yards with 6.5 yds per carry and 18 TD. How can anyone think he won't have a prominent role in the offense? He has the ability to take it to the house on any play. No way  he doesn't touch the ball 10-15 times per game.

Glad you guys didn't jump on me for my opinion because that is all it is.

Ontario will be a great asset in the passing game and playing special teams.  People seem to lump Mason in the same boat as Ontario.  I don't see it that way at all.  Mason is very fast but he is much larger than Ontario, cuts on a dime, and explodes through the hole.  My opinion about Ontario does not reflect how I feel about Mason.  

Tre Mason will be a household name by the end of this year.  

Great vision, speed, quickness, and follows his blocking as an RB should.  I LOVE the RB's we have on campus already and Robinson should bring added size and skill we don't currently have.  I look for an LSU type of rotation at RB.

Mason reminds me of Felix Jones. Kid is going to be special.  :we:

OMac will have a large role in the offense, and if he can move back towards the hard nosed running that he began to display after getting advice from Bo but has since reverted from, then he can have an even larger one. But he isn't big enough to be the featured back.

I gotta tell ya guys, Tre Mason and Corey Grant are both guys that I have loved since high school (it tore me up that Corey signed with Bama...I knew he'd be miserable there, but I didn't expect him to smarten up quickly enough to transfer to AU), but I really think Mike Blakely is going to be starting by midseason, if not sooner. I think he's going to make people forget about Dyer pretty quickly...I hate to put that kind of pressure on, considering the success MD had in two years, but guy is REALLY impressive to me.

Note: my opinion on Blakely has absolutely nothing to do with A-Day.

Mason reminds me of Felix Jones. Kid is going to be special.  :we:

Not a bad comparison, actually. I've always been extremely impressed with Tre's vision in traffic, and seems I remember Jones had similar ability.

Archived