Starting Lineups?

Anyone have any guesses or knowledge of practice/scrimmages to get a feel what our lineup will look like?

Based on who played last year and info here and there on incoming guys, here's a guess:

1. Bobby Andrews - RF

2. Ryan Tella - CF

3. Damek Tomscha - 3B

4. Garrett Cooper - 1B

5. Patrick Savage - DH

6. Cullen Wacker - LF

7. Dan Glevenyak - SS

8. Blake Austin - C

9. Jordan Ebert - 2B

Weekend Starters - Daniel Koger, Rocky McCord and Trey Cochran-Gill

Mid Week Starters - Trey Wingenter (although I've seen posts here and there that suggest he might force his way into the weekend rotation). Lots of guys could probably fit the 2nd mid week spot.

I think Sam Gillikin is supposed to be the real deal in the outfield; maybe if Andrews wins that job we'll get a but more production from him at the plate than last year. Also, Tanner Cimo could possibly win the starting job at 2b. Does anyone happen to know a possible closer?

A good piece in "Inside the Auburn TIgers" with details on each player some expectations about who will start and play. The team looks much improved from last year with some good guys coming back. Experience makes a difference and I hope the fundamentals are improved. Too many games last year where some guys did not seem to have their heads in the game....errors, base running issues, etc. etc.

Also there was an indication that there might be a bit more emphasis on hitting for power and not just depending on 4 singles in a row to drive in a couple runs. We had a ton of LOBs last year and with the ability to hit for average.....plus some additonal power, the team should be able to put up more runs.

Re Closers....looks like some JC guys coming in to help in that role but the article mentions Dedrick and Kendrick among others.

• 2 weeks later...

I have heard that there is a decent level of competition from some JUCO guys at various positions. Some players, I have seen listed at certain positions, and I know they are competing at others. We had the best team batting average in the league last year and the top four are back; plus they did address power in the signing class this year. DH is going to be interesting. Keep a close eye there early. That's where we will learn new names. New starters.

A good piece in "Inside the Auburn TIgers" with details on each player some expectations about who will start and play. The team looks much improved from last year with some good guys coming back. Experience makes a difference and I hope the fundamentals are improved. Too many games last year where some guys did not seem to have their heads in the game....errors, base running issues, etc. etc.

Also there was an indication that there might be a bit more emphasis on hitting for power and not just depending on 4 singles in a row to drive in a couple runs. We had a ton of LOBs last year and with the ability to hit for average.....plus some additonal power, the team should be able to put up more runs.

Re Closers....looks like some JC guys coming in to help in that role but the article mentions Dedrick and Kendrick among others.

See, that's why I can't get too much enthusiasm going. Last year was Coach Paw's fourth year and our players were still doing that mess. Unless and until those things are cleaned up it won't matter who's pitching and how many hitters we have. It's discouraging.

See, that's why I can't get too much enthusiasm going. Last year was Coach Paw's fourth year and our players were still doing that mess. Unless and until those things are cleaned up it won't matter who's pitching and how many hitters we have. It's discouraging.

College baseball is still in transition from big ball to small ball with the dead bat changes. JMO but AU (JP) over-reacted to the change and assumed the HR was not longer a weapon in college. And for whatever reasons, his team did not adjust to the changes. Apparenlty they did not respond to the fact that each run in a game was much more valuable than in the past. Therefore, every LOB. WP or defensive error had a bigger effect on the outcome of the games. We squandered too many runs with LOBs and helped the opposition to often with baserunning mistakes and fielding errors. If those fundamentals don't improve, we are in for another disappointing season but at least in the preview articles I've read, the coaches make a point that the fundamentals must get better so perhaps the emphasis (and time spent) will show up in the games.

Archived