2014 3* QB Kendrick Doss (Ole Miss signee)

ellitor

http://www.al.com/sp...spect_kend.html

Florence 2014 QB prospect Kendrick Doss could be 'perfect fit' at Auburn

Florence High quarterback Kendrick Doss said Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn and offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee told him he was a "perfect fit" for their system when he visited Auburn last month.

Trouble is, coaches at Ole Miss, Mississippi State and Tennessee have said the same thing.

"They all told me the same thing," said Doss. "They told me I was the face of the program."

Doss has become a hot commodity in the last six weeks, getting offers from all four of those schools last month. He's also been offered by Southern Miss and believes North Carolina could be next.

The 6-foot-3, 215-pound dual-threat star runs a 4.4 40 and has a "cannon for an arm," according to Florence head coach Jamey Dubose. He amassed about 3,000 yards of total offense (1,800 passing, 1,200 rushing) and 41 total touchdowns last season.

Doss has visited Auburn, Oxford, Starkville and, just last weekend, Knoxville, and came away impressed with all four. He plans to return to all four, starting with Auburn in a couple of weeks.

"It was really fun down there," he said. "I got a lot of one-on-one time with coach Malzahn and coach Lashlee. The facilities are nice -- top of the line."

Doss, whose size and running ability could tempt some into considering a position switch, said the Tigers, Rebels, Bulldogs and Vols are all recruiting him as a quarterback. Dubose, who coached former Vanderbilt starter Larry Smith and Kentucky's Jalen Whitlow at Prattville High, said Doss has all the tools.

"This kid's got something different," Dubose said of Doss. "He's got that thing that's really going to make him successful in the world. ... Ever since I've gotten to Florence, anything you put in front of him that you don't think he can do, he always gets it done.

"I think he's truly a quarterback. The kid really understands the game. He really knows how to run a system."

While Doss believes he'd fit in the system of any of his top four schools well, he's particularly familiar with Malzahn's scheme, which is similar to the up-tempo spread Doss runs at Florence.

"We ask the quarterback to read a lot in the run game," Dubose said. "At the same time, he's got to be a passer also. That's the thing I think is so overlooked about him -- he's not just a runner. He's a tremendous passer."

Doss, who is on track to graduate in December, said the fit of the offense and the feel of the school will play a role in his final decision, which he hopes to make before the season.

"It all depends on how it plays out," said Doss, who is expecting his choices to get more complicated before they get clearer. "My phone is blowing up."

Highlighting my favorite parts:

If he wants to run a spread offense, Bama may not have a shot at him regardless of any Crimson influences in Florence. Wonder if the reference to "size and running ability could tempt some into considering a position switch" might be a hint to what Saban's thinking.

Malzahn needs a thinking QB in his offense, and apparently this kid has been running it well in high school.

If he graduates in December, maybe we can get him and back count him into a left-over 2013 scholly!

I doubt he would play QB for sabear. That doesn't mean he won't go to bammer but in his case I feel it is unlikely. I believe he is looking to buy what Gus is selling so this one will be fun to watch.

I doubt he would play QB for sabear. That doesn't mean he won't go to bammer but in his case I feel it is unlikely. I believe he is looking to buy what Gus is selling so this one will be fun to watch.

What will be fun to watch is which QB gets the only commitable offer from Auburn.

What will be fun to watch is which QB gets the only commitable offer from Auburn.

That is a factor, no doubt. I wish we could sway the Watson kid up here in Gainesville. They are only 30 mins. away from here and play a couple of local teams so I need to see him play. For a town of chicken pluckers, they have produced a fair amount of professional athletes over the years.

Yes, I wouldn't think this guy is on top of our QB list. No Jeremy Johnson, but seems like a good prospect.

He's not... There are definitely QB's higher on our list.

• 2 months later...

I am excited for this young man, he seems like he has a good head on his shoulders. I just hope that when he is a JR or a SR, he doesn't end up biting us in the butt!

We are in a QB dream offensive. I can't believe we wont get a 5 star soon. Cam is the best example not to mention our biggest cheerleader. Im for Harris. Has a strong chin.

Do you guys think our current situation is hurting our QB recruiting? As a recruit looking at our current QB's I'd be licking my chops. But when one throws Nick Marshall and JJ into the mix the opportunity for early snaps doesn't look good. Prospects might be inclined to wait a while and see if those guys are as good as advertised.

Do you guys think our current situation is hurting our QB recruiting? As a recruit looking at our current QB's I'd be licking my chops. But when one throws Nick Marshall and JJ into the mix the opportunity for early snaps doesn't look good. Prospects might be inclined to wait a while and see if those guys are as good as advertised.

No. Nobody is proven yet. When whoever we sign in the class gets through his first year as a redshirt Nick will be gone and JJ will be an unproven redshirt sophomore. Open competition in 2015 between JJ and whoever we sign in this class.

• 2 weeks later...

In the this surprises nobody department

@JTalty 22m

Ole Miss gets the QB it was looking for in Florence (Ala.) Kendrick Doss. Doss had an impressive offer sheet.

Hope he does well but not "that" well. Glad the kid got the SEC offers for sure. He would have been swallowed up in our depth chart next year. Unlike certain teams I'm not a fan of that.

If I were an Ole Miss fan I would be very disappointed if KD was "THE QB" we were looking for.

One would think what with their certain future dominance of the SEC (based on 5-6 highly ranked recruits) that they would be in it for the best!

:drippingsarcasm7pa::drippingsarcasm7pa::drippingsarcasm7pa::drippingsarcasm7pa:

If I were an Ole Miss fan I would be very disappointed if KD was "THE QB" we were looking for.

One would think what with their certain future dominance of the SEC (based on 5-6 highly ranked recruits) that they would be in it for the best!

:drippingsarcasm7pa::drippingsarcasm7pa::drippingsarcasm7pa::drippingsarcasm7pa:

Dixie, you really should make you sarcasm more obvious. :moon:

Ole Miss signed two 4-star QBs last year so that position was probably not their highest priority. But like "E" says you need to sign at least one quarterback each year. Doss will probably be given a shot then move to another position. Of course he would probably flip to AU in a heartbeat so don't be too hard on the kid.

True. It does make me laugh a little when I read "Ole Miss beats out Auburn for in-state recruit." On some sites of course.

True. It does make me laugh a little when I read "Ole Miss beats out Auburn for in-state recruit." On some sites of course.

In a small bit of fairness to the media, since teams can't talk about recruiting the media can only report what the recruits say.

Every recruiting service says he had an offer from Auburn so it does look that way to someone who doesn't understand Modern Day Recruiting.

I doubt he ever sees game time at QB. He will likely be moved to another skill position or a Safety IMO. He could get there and grow a bit and work hard and be a QB just as well. He is a good kid from all I have seen and wish him luck except when he plays us of course.

Archived