men vs. uat Game Thread

WarTiger

AU will not be able to lure a coach with a record of success in the NCAA tournament. If JJ fires Barbee, he's gonna hire another up-and-comer to the plains. Probably to see the same results. That's all AU can atract right now. My advice is, let him turn this thing around. At least 2 more years... when Shaq and crew are juniors.

The coach at St Mary's gets paid like $270K a year. You think he wouldn't take a stab at coaching AU for 3 or 4 years for $1.5M a year? Of course he would. The man has gotten a team that plays in a high school gym to the sweet 16 and to post season play 5 straight years, 6 counting this season. At least paying him a large salary would be justified to get him to move to AU.

He wouldn't come to Auburn... if he cared about his career, he wouldn't.

You do realize, the only reason Barbee is at AU is because of Calipari...? Calipari had to talk him in to taking the job. Cal is the one who told him AU was a great place, and a great fit in a good league. Tony didn't initially want the job! He viewed it as a dead-end... which it very well might be.

Now... we have a coach, and I say we play the hand that we're dealt, and give him a chance to turn this thing around! It takes time... not 2 or 3 years. More like 5 or 6 years! It's AUBURN BASKETBALL!!! We've only had a hand-full of decent seasons in the last 30 years! Nothing can be done to make us a Kentucky or Florida... We are gonna have to fight, for several years, to be middle of the road in the SEC. Sorry, but thats reality.

We all know AU is not UK or UF. But Barbee is not just struggling because of talent. He is a terrible coach with the worst 3 years ever for a new coach at AU and that says a lot. I love that AU is finally willing commit resources to win in basketball. But Barbee was a terrible hire. I don't care if John Calipari told you that story himself it doesn't make me forget the product Barbee has put on the court at AU. He is not getting the 5 star players he needs to run the dribble-drive offense at AU. 3 years, 5 years or 7 years. Never. Players see what a hot mess we are right now and they are not going to want to play for Tony Barbee. Barbee is a dead end, a lame duck. Alabama is going to feast on the next in-state recruiting class while we get more 7 foot, 180lbs projects. Go watch video of Butler vs UTEP when Barbee coached his only NCAA tournament game and see what he might look like in 4 or 5 years. Pretty much exactly what AU looks like now only we don't play in Conference USA.

If he had of built a foundation for success for next season I could understand people wanting to give him more time. Because then I would have some hope that he is not as bad the past results prove. But since there is zero proof of any growth in the program during his 3 years it is hard to ignore the failure or the probable repeated failure in year 4.

You're giving us WAY too much credit in basketball... AU basketball doesn't build a foundation for success. We get lucky and stumble across (1) truly great player every 15 years. That's how Auburn has been and will be successful every once in a blue moon. We'll get a decent Juco guy, or get a transfer from another program... Big-time high school talent just isn't coming to AU. Very few ever have...

I just don't understand this new desire for immediate success for AU basketball...? It's never been this way, and will never be this way. AU will never be a perineal post-season team! We need to quit talking like we are, and have some legit expectations.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AU will not be able to lure a coach with a record of success in the NCAA tournament. If JJ fires Barbee, he's gonna hire another up-and-comer to the plains. Probably to see the same results. That's all AU can atract right now. My advice is, let him turn this thing around. At least 2 more years... when Shaq and crew are juniors.

The coach at St Mary's gets paid like $270K a year. You think he wouldn't take a stab at coaching AU for 3 or 4 years for $1.5M a year? Of course he would. The man has gotten a team that plays in a high school gym to the sweet 16 and to post season play 5 straight years, 6 counting this season. At least paying him a large salary would be justified to get him to move to AU.

You do realize, the only reason Barbee is at AU is because of Calipari...? Calipari had to talk him in to taking the job. Cal is the one who told him AU was a great place, and a great fit in a good league. Tony didn't initially want the job! He viewed it as a dead-end... which it very well might be.

Now... we have a coach, and I say we play the hand that we're dealt, and give him a chance to turn this thing around! It takes time... not 2 or 3 years. More like 5 or 6 years! It's AUBURN BASKETBALL!!! We've only had a hand-full of decent seasons in the last 30 years! Nothing can be done to make us a Kentucky or Florida... We are gonna have to fight, for several years, to be middle of the road in the SEC. Sorry, but thats reality.

We all know AU is not UK or UF. But Barbee is not just struggling because of talent. He is a terrible coach with the worst 3 years ever for a new coach at AU and that says a lot. I love that AU is finally willing commit resources to win in basketball. But Barbee was a terrible hire. I don't care if John Calipari told you that story himself it doesn't make me forget the product Barbee has put on the court at AU. He is not getting the 5 star players he needs to run the dribble-drive offense at AU. 3 years, 5 years or 7 years. Never. Players see what a hot mess we are right now and they are not going to want to play for Tony Barbee. Barbee is a dead end, a lame duck. Alabama is going to feast on the next in-state recruiting class while we get more 7 foot, 180lbs projects. Go watch video of Butler vs UTEP when Barbee coached his only NCAA tournament game and see what he might look like in 4 or 5 years. Pretty much exactly what AU looks like now only we don't play in Conference USA.

If he had of built a foundation for success for next season I could understand people wanting to give him more time. Because then I would have some hope that he is not as bad the past results prove. But since there is zero proof of any growth in the program during his 3 years it is hard to ignore the failure or the probable repeated failure in year 4.

You're giving us WAY too much credit in basketball... AU basketball doesn't build a foundation for success. We get lucky and stumble across (1) truly great player every 15 years. That's how Auburn has been and will be successful every once in a blue moon. We'll get a decent Juco guy, or get a transfer from another program... Big-time high school talent just isn't coming to AU. Very few ever have...

I just don't understand this new desire for immediate success for AU basketball...? It's never been this way, and will never be this way. AU will never be a perineal post-season team! We need to quit talking like we are, and have some legit expectations.

Careful Altima...you are talking reason and facts....and that will get you into trouble on this board.

Firing Cliff Ellis is turning out to be similar to Tennessee firing Phil Fulmer.

Cliff got us in trouble with the NCAA ....he had to go....but in basic theory, you are correct. Lots of schools shoot themselves in the knee or higher by firing a good coach ...as they search for a perfect coach.

Unfortunately....I agree.

Sadly, this is what I think too. The problem isn't so much the buyout or letting Barbee go. The problem is more what will we do then? I hate to say it, but we will not be able to get a coach on the level of even a St. Mary's, VCU, or Murray State. Everyone seems to think if you throw enough money at someone they will take the job because it is the SEC. The problem is the SEC (outside of florida and kentucky) is not a good basketball conference right now. And with all the hiring and firing going on at these basketball programs when things don't turn around, up and coming coaches would serve a better chance of making a name for themselves by making a run in NCAAs with a team like St. Mary's, VCU, etc. Then if they do leave after a few years, it is for the Big East, ACC, etc., not the SEC. Not saying we couldn't get anybody, just saying it probably won't look good if we do. New coach, new system, players transfer or leave the team, new coach doesn't fix recruiting over night, etc. And in 3 years we are right here again. Not saying I support Barbee, just saying the reality of the situation is not looking good either way.

Careful Altima...you are talking reason and facts....and that will get you into trouble on this board.

You're angry, not factual. You guys must be very young. Auburn MENS basketball has been on serious skids for a decade but the men went to the sweet 16 as recently as 2003 and for 2 decades before that consistently put a parade of competitive NCAA tournament teams on the floor w/ a LOT of fan support and pretty average facitlities. For years we got knocked out of the NCAA tournament by the eventual winner, the question was just always how early in the tourny we'd play them. Auburn made the final 8 in the '80s, something Bama and every team in the state except UAB has yet to accomplish.

Auburn's WOMEN went to the championship game 3 years in a row in the late '80s, early '90s and but for Tenn being in the same conference would have won the SEC consistently for many years.

THIS years squad and coach are not getting it done but whether or not Barbee deserves more time, blaming it on "Auburn Basketball" is intellectually lazy at best.

If CTB is fired now then JJ gets to make another hire. Keep all coaches in place until the end of thier contracts as long as JJ is AD.

Wow, this is such a horrible attitude to take. Never? Just accept mediocrity? New stadium, top notch facilities, resources to recruit... There is no reason for us to not be at least competitive in the sec each year. How is MSU so successful over the past ten years? 8/10 years they have played in NCAA or nit.

You're angry, not factual. You guys must be very young. Auburn MENS basketball has been on serious skids for a decade but the men went to the sweet 16 as recently as 2003 and for 2 decades before that consistently put a parade of competitive NCAA tournament teams on the floor w/ a LOT of fan support and pretty average facitlities. For years we got knocked out of the NCAA tournament by the eventual winner, the question was just always how early in the tourny we'd play them. Auburn made the final 8 in the '80s, something Bama and every team in the state except UAB has yet to accomplish.

Auburn's WOMEN went to the championship game 3 years in a row in the late '80s, early '90s and but for Tenn being in the same conference would have won the SEC consistently for many years.

THIS years squad and coach are not getting it done but whether or not Barbee deserves more time, blaming it on "Auburn Basketball" is intellectually lazy at best.

I think i will always remember the 2003 game against Syracuse. The Syracuse that had Carmelo Anthony, Warrick, and Gerry MacNamera that went on to win the NCAA championship that year.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/games/2003/03/28/auburn-78-syracuse-79

We definitely have the history of being a competative basketball team. Just wish we could get back to it.

I think i will always remember the 2003 game against Syracuse. The Syracuse that had Carmelo Anthony, Warrick, and Gerry MacNamera that went on to win the NCAA championship that year.

We definitely have the history of being a competative basketball team. Just wish we could get back to it.

If you want to get back to that.... Then you're gonna have to cheat. B/c that's why Cliff was let go. He had some decent teams, and had to cheat to do it.

Guest jojo1515

If you want to get back to that.... Then you're gonna have to cheat. B/c that's why Cliff was let go. He had some decent teams, and had to cheat to do it.

Thays one of the dumbest statements anybody has ever made in this board.

I know I'm a broken record here,but how in Hades do we manage to find so many basketball players that can't shoot the ball and have no idea how to play the game ? You can be well coached and competitive and still get beat. But at least you look like a TEAM while doing so. This is awful.

http://statsheet.com...-78-syracuse-79

How is that dumb???

Cliff Ellis had some success... He had a few talented players... His problems with the NCAA also led to his dismissal.

(I'm not saying he paid players or anything... )

How is that dumb???

Cliff Ellis had some success... He had a few talented players... His problems with the NCAA also led to his dismissal.

(I'm not saying he paid players or anything... )

Ellis may look like John Wooden compared to Lebo and Barbee so far but he had 3 winning conference seasons in ten years and

built a good team not program. Thats crap. I would rather us be like the Sonny Smith era 5 straight tourney bids with an elite eight.

Ellis cheated at every school he has been at,. Hell he got in trouble at coastal carolina.

Sonny Smith says hello.

These coaches at Butler, St. Mary's, etc. don't get top recruits every year. They take reasonably talented, coachable kids and make a competitive BB team out of them. I think that's what most of the frustration comes from....save 3 or 4 games this year, AU is not fielding a competitive team in Barbee's 3 year and no real prospects of next year being any better. Barbee's best record was 15-16 last year? This year it will be a stretch to win 10 games!!!! Let that sink in.....10 games!!!!

Is this the same Sonny Smith who left (or was encouraged to leave) for Virginai Commonwealth? A big step up for certain. And Cliff left Lebo with nothing...though he was not able to do much to get back on track.

No one likes it, but a critical look at the history of AU basketball is pretty demoralizing. It's been in the crapper for decades (except for a couple bright years) and now TB is supposed to turn all that around in three years?

People aren't looking for a BB coach, they are looking for a magician.

Sonny Smith says hello.

Yes... You are correct.

Sonny built a decent program during his tenure at Auburn. But... he was given time to do so! His teams weren't good right off the bat, but they stayed the course and got some pretty decent talent over the years. Combine that with some veteran leadership, and you're winning some games, period!

Unfortunately, fans want Barbee fired after year 3... The man needs time.

Is this the same Sonny Smith who left (or was encouraged to leave) for Virginai Commonwealth? A big step up for certain. And Cliff left Lebo with nothing...though he was not able to do much to get back on track.

No one likes it, but a critical look at the history of AU basketball is pretty demoralizing. It's been in the crapper for decades (except for a couple bright years) and now TB is supposed to turn all that around in three years?

People aren't looking for a BB coach, they are looking for a magician.

PREACH!!!

But how long has it been since AU failed to reach 10 wins in a season???? If they don't win one of their last 3 (MSU is a possibility) then they will finish this season with 9 wins!! 9 wins!!!

Even Tommy Joe Eagles did better than that. Lebo or Ellis never has seasons this bad.

I'm sick of people thinking that UF is superior to our program. We lead the overall series between them by around 15 or 20 I believe.

Leading the overall series = yawn. It would be like Vanderbilt claiming that their football program is better than ours because they lead the overall series over us in football.

Florida's basketball program is superior to ours using pretty much any meaningful metric you'd like...national titles, Final Fours, Elite Eights, NCAA appearances, SEC titles. To say otherwise is borderline delusion.

As for our basketball program, looks like it's getting darker before the dawn...reminds me of that awful '88-'89 season when we were 2-16 in conference.

how much better would auburn be now with varez ward and earnest ross? there are a few others that somehow got gone that i dont remember names. he has had an uphill battle. if he didnt have a big buyout it wouldnt matter but i say keep him because its going to be a repeat situation. just dont pay the next bb coach this type money until he wins.

Oh my goodness. That is LBS personified. Now I understand why you are okay with Barbee and his 20 loss seasons.

Auburn did not have to fire Ellis, the admin did so to soften the blow from the NCAA. In hindsight any additional penalties we would have been assessed if Ellis had been retained would not have mattered b/c in the long run I believe we would be a lot better off now. Back to my point, Auburn has not been able to recruit any top level talent and/or keep it long enough to make an impact with Lebo and now with Barbee. Whomever said that Auburn has never or will never be able to get top level talent is flat out wrong!! I dont expect a whole team of 4 and 5 stars, but there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON that we shouldnt have 1 or 2 NBA prospects on our team almost every single year. There is not another team in the SEC that has been even close to the wasteland Auburn has become in regards to NBA level prospects. You would have to try pretty hard to find another team in the SEC right now or in the last 3 years BESIDES AUBURN that doesnt have at least 1 guy that is a NBA prospect. Barbee has been an complete and utter failure in finding and recruiting top talent. The few times we have either been in the mix for one or signed a guy that is a difference maker we have lost out to another team or the guy never makes it on the team for a variety of reasons. Heck, a lot of guys we have had on the team that were not NBA prospects but solid college players transfer out or quit and its been like that since Lebo was hired.

Archived