men vs. uat Game Thread

WarTiger

Prior to attending AU, I grew up in Lexington Ky a UK basketball fan so I have been spoiled in that regard. I dont expect Auburn to be UK, but I do expect to have a team capable of beating UK occasionally like we had when I was a student from '98 to '03. Firing Cliff Ellis was the worst mistake AU ever made. It has been ALL downhill since then. One terrible team after another, and every single one of them have looked VERY poorly coached from Lebo thru Barbee. When will the AD face the music it was a bad hire? The ESPN televised game against UK this year put AU on the national stage as a laugher of a team and you had Barkley sitting there at halftime saying Barbee had AU on track to be a good team. How wrong you are Sir Charles!!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We had a good plan tonight...

ONCE AGAIN we were in good position to score points tonight, and we just couldn't... We beat their zone and had opportunities against their man, but shots wouldn't go down. Its frusterating, but its not coaching... its players unable to make plays!

Layups (wide-open and contested) we missed.

Mid-range jumpers (wide-open and contested) we missed

3 pointers... we missed all of them!

It doesn't matter... When bammer is hitting EVERYTHING they blindly throw up there in the 2nd half, you're gonna lose... period.

I'm sorry, but tonight wasn't coaching. It hasn't been the entire year.

When are some of you going to admit its bad coaching? Next year the same excuses will be made that have been made the past three years. And the year after, and the year after. The team has gotten progressively worse this year, and many of you Barbee lovers proclaimed this would be the year because of experience and leadership. Funny how quickly you change your tune.

Prior to attending AU, I grew up in Lexington Ky a UK basketball fan so I have been spoiled in that regard. I dont expect Auburn to be UK, but I do expect to have a team capable of beating UK occasionally like we had when I was a student from '98 to '03. Firing Cliff Ellis was the worst mistake AU ever made. It has been ALL downhill since then. One terrible team after another, and every single one of them have looked VERY poorly coached from Lebo thru Barbee. When will the AD face the music it was a bad hire? The ESPN televised game against UK this year put AU on the national stage as a laugher of a team and you had Barkley sitting there at halftime saying Barbee had AU on track to be a good team. How wrong you are Sir Charles!!

We kind of had to let Ellis go or face an even bigger hammer from the NCAA.

This is flat-out ridiculous. I have sat back patiently waiting for Barbee to field a competitive team and what we have on the floor these days does not fit that description in any way, shape, form, or fashion! Oh how I miss the days of Coach Ellis. When Cliff was the coach you could count on having atr least 1 NBA talent level guy if not 2 every year, a team that could play with anyone or at least keep it close, and a team more often than not tournament worthy. Lebo put Auburn in the crapper, there is no doubt about that. Barbee hasn't yet gotten us out of it and he has had plenty of time to do so. Next!..............

There was a reason Ellis got that kind of talent too. It's the reason we have such a hard time recruiting today.

ONCE AGAIN we were in good position to score points tonight, and we just couldn't... We beat their zone and had opportunities against their man, but shots wouldn't go down. Its frusterating, but its not coaching... its players unable to make plays!

It doesn't matter... When bammer is hitting EVERYTHING they blindly throw up there in the 2nd half, you're gonna lose... period.

This reminds me of the people that were blaming the players not executing as an excuse to why our defense was bad under Chizik. This is the worst 3 year start of any coach in AU history. I think this team and it's experience level would be a 20 game winner under Lebo, Grant and most any coach in the SEC.

Not sure about the plan...but we have been missing layups and jump shots all over the court all year, with very few exceptions....and have played defense very, very sparingly. It is frustrating because there is some talent on the team, espec. some of the new guys. And while the coach is not taking and missing the shots, it is his responsibility to put a competitive team on the court....he has had time to do that and has not gotten it done. There has been zero improvement in his tenure and with a few exceptions, these are his players. He has gambled on marginal players in years past to no avail. i am not expecting us to be great yet, but there should be some improvement, if not from season to season, from the beginning of the season to the end...and it is not there.

Let's see.....you can't coach a kid to make good shots or play defense??? A bad game? I can accept as being a player's fault. When a team has game after game with these results; the coach has to take a significant amount of the blame. If not, we owe our previous football staff a sincere apology.

And everyone can keep throwing JJ out there as this being his fault but I don't see it. He hired a rising talent that obviuosly had hit his peak already. Most thought (including me) that Barbee was a great hire. If I blame JJ for anything it's that he signed him to contract for too long of a term. I do however, agree, it's time to send JJ on his way. The huge buyout for Chizik along with Barbee being on the clock for a $3.25MM buyout is unacceptable business practice.

If Barbee gets another year, expectations should be stated clearly so that he understands lack of significant improvement will get him fired. My goals for this team this year was two out of theses three: 1) .500 in SEC play, 2) a tournament bid (NIT or NCAA), 3) get to the 3rd round of the SEC tourney. At this point, AU must win the SEC tourney to get a bid and make my goals. No chance......

One can tell that few care about basketball at this point. The game's over and were only on page 6 for this topic!!!!

This reminds me of the people that were blaming the players not executing as an excuse to why our defense was bad under Chizik. This is the worst 3 year start of any coach in AU history. I think this team and it's experience level would be a 20 game winner under Lebo, Grant and most any coach in the SEC.

I don't see (any) players on our basketball squad that would start for any other team in the league... well, maybe MSU!

Again, our defense was bad the last 2 years under Chizik because there was NO talent!... Wrong board I know... but if the D is gonna be good this season, it's gonna be because the newcomers are making noise! Upper classmen still have no talent.

Let's see.....you can't coach a kid to make good shots or play defense??? A bad game? I can accept as being a player's fault. When a team has game after game with these results; the coach has to take a significant amount of the blame. If not, we owe our previous football staff a sincere apology.

And everyone can keep throwing JJ out there as this being his fault but I don't see it. He hired a rising talent that obviuosly had hit his peak already. Most thought (including me) that Barbee was a great hire. If I blame JJ for anything it's that he signed him to contract for too long of a term. I do however, agree, it's time to send JJ on his way. The huge buyout for Chizik along with Barbee being on the clock for a $3.25MM buyout is unacceptable business practice.

If Barbee gets another year, expectations should be stated clearly so that he understands lack of significant improvement will get him fired. My goals for this team this year was two out of theses three: 1) .500 in SEC play, 2) a tournament bid (NIT or NCAA), 3) get to the 3rd round of the SEC tourney. At this point, AU must win the SEC tourney to get a bid and make my goals. No chance......

One can tell that few care about basketball at this point. The game's over and were only on page 6 for this topic!!!!

I never understood the AU fans that claimed Barbee was some kind of great hire and then acted like we beat out a top 25 program for him. IMO it was an amateurish, flavor of the minute hire and not a professional hire. CTB had no record of success in the NCAA tournament but JJ gave him a contract like he was Brad Stevens. CTB took over a successful program (UTEP) that was coming off two straight NCAA trips and he got them back to the tourney once in 4 years. JJ should have been asking is that the type of coach we need at AU? At the time common sense should have said guys like Steve Donahue (Cornell) or Randy Bennett (St. Mary's) that had tourney success at small time programs were the direction AU should proceed. Cerebral coaches with a proven record of creating competitive teams out of 2 and 3 star players. Teams that could beat top 25 programs with the same type of kids AU had on the roster and would be recruiting until the program improved. Not the 4 and 5 star guys Barbee needs to make his dribble-drive offense work. At the time we hired CTB, Brad Stevens was making about half of what Barbee makes now.

Not sure how much longer they will let Barbee run the basketball program down but I hope when they replace him the AD hires some consultants to pick the next coach.

I don't see (any) players on our basketball squad that would start for any other team in the league... well, maybe MSU!

Again, our defense was bad the last 2 years under Chizik because there was NO talent!... Wrong board I know... but if the D is gonna be good this season, it's gonna be because the newcomers are making noise! Upper classmen still have no talent.

Our players are not nearly as bad as the scheme has made them look. There was a lot of under developed talent in our seniors. Our young guys (including ADT) still play like they just stepped on campus.

AU will not be able to lure a coach with a record of success in the NCAA tournament. If JJ fires Barbee, he's gonna hire another up-and-comer to the plains. Probably to see the same results. That's all AU can atract right now. My advice is, let him turn this thing around. At least 2 more years... when Shaq and crew are juniors.

AU will not be able to lure a coach with a record of success in the NCAA tournament. If JJ fires Barbee, he's gonna hire another up-and-comer to the plains. Probably to see the same results. That's all AU can atract right now. My advice is, let him turn this thing around. At least 2 more years... when Shaq and crew are juniors.

exactly, this is not football. He is going to have to get lucky in recruiting and put it together. So far he has been very unlucky. He was a very big hire for auburn let it play out.

We don't have a coach now with NCAA tournament success!

Maybe we should give Barbee 2 more years....no NCAA tourney in those 2 years? No buyout and he works for 1/2 of his salary. Makes the NCAA? Bump him up $500,000 a year and extend his contract!

Our players are not nearly as bad as the scheme has made them look. There was a lot of under developed talent in our seniors. Our young guys (including ADT) still play like they just stepped on campus.

So by putting AU players on other teams, that would automatically make them better? You put Wallace, Chubb, N Johnson on other teams, they never leave the bench! Frankie would get some very situational minutes.

I'm not getting the problem with the scheme? Offensively, our scheme puts us in position to get WIDE-OPEN layups... we miss! Our scheme leaves us with WID-OPEN jumpers... we miss! I don't know how it could gee-t any easier. Players are not taking advantage of simple / easy opportunities. We shot as low as 27% at one point tonight. That can't beat an R.A. team...

The coach at St Mary's gets paid like $270K a year. You think he wouldn't take a stab at coaching AU for 3 or 4 years for $1.5M a year? Of course he would. The man has gotten a team that plays in a high school gym to the sweet 16 and to post season play 5 straight years, 6 counting this season. At least paying him a large salary would be justified to get him to move to AU.

The coach at St Mary's gets paid like $270K a year. You think he wouldn't take a stab at coaching AU for 3 or 4 years for $1.5M a year? Of course he would. The man has gotten a team that plays in a high school gym to the sweet 16 and to post season play 5 straight years, 6 counting this season. At least paying him a large salary would be justified to get him to move to AU.

He wouldn't come to Auburn... if he cared about his career, he wouldn't.

You do realize, the only reason Barbee is at AU is because of Calipari...? Calipari had to talk him in to taking the job. Cal is the one who told him AU was a great place, and a great fit in a good league. Tony didn't initially want the job! He viewed it as a dead-end... which it very well might be.

Now... we have a coach, and I say we play the hand that we're dealt, and give him a chance to turn this thing around! It takes time... not 2 or 3 years. More like 5 or 6 years! It's AUBURN BASKETBALL!!! We've only had a hand-full of decent seasons in the last 30 years! Nothing can be done to make us a Kentucky or Florida... We are gonna have to fight, for several years, to be middle of the road in the SEC. Sorry, but thats reality.

You do realize, the only reason Barbee is at AU is because of Calipari...? Calipari had to talk him in to taking the job. Cal is the one who told him AU was a great place, and a great fit in a good league. Tony didn't initially want the job! He viewed it as a dead-end... which it very well might be.

Now... we have a coach, and I say we play the hand that we're dealt, and give him a chance to turn this thing around! It takes time... not 2 or 3 years. More like 5 or 6 years! It's AUBURN BASKETBALL!!! We've only had a hand-full of decent seasons in the last 30 years! Nothing can be done to make us a Kentucky or Florida... We are gonna have to fight, for several years, to be middle of the road in the SEC. Sorry, but thats reality.

No, reality is the worst 3 year span in Auburn basketball history. Reality is that progress has not been made in those three years, and god-awful reality is that we have, in fact, regressed as a program since Barbee took over. Where's that experience and leadership that was touted at the beginning of the year? Where's the amazing recruiting that Barbee lovers rambled about? It may be unfair to ask spectacular things of Barbee in 3 years, but simple improvements in fundamentals and techniques are not unfair things to ask.

We all know AU is not UK or UF. But Barbee is not just struggling because of talent. He is a terrible coach with the worst 3 years ever for a new coach at AU and that says a lot. I love that AU is finally willing commit resources to win in basketball. But Barbee was a terrible hire. I don't care if John Calipari told you that story himself it doesn't make me forget the product Barbee has put on the court at AU. He is not getting the 5 star players he needs to run the dribble-drive offense at AU. 3 years, 5 years or 7 years. Never. Players see what a hot mess we are right now and they are not going to want to play for Tony Barbee. Barbee is a dead end, a lame duck. Alabama is going to feast on the next in-state recruiting class while we get more 7 foot, 180lbs projects. Go watch video of Butler vs UTEP when Barbee coached his only NCAA tournament game and see what he might look like in 4 or 5 years. Pretty much exactly what AU looks like now only we don't play in Conference USA.

If he had of built a foundation for success for next season I could understand people wanting to give him more time. Because then I would have some hope that he is not as bad the past results prove. But since there is zero proof of any growth in the program during his 3 years it is hard to ignore the failure or the probable repeated failure in year 4.

It would take him 21 years at St Mary's College to earn what he would earn at AU in 4 seasons. And that does not count the difference in cost of living in Cali vs Alabama. And he would easily get another job equal to St Mary's if he did not make it at AU. Not sure you appreciate how much money AU is paying the current basketball staff.

It would take him 21 years at St Mary's College to earn what he would earn at AU in 4 seasons. And that does not count the difference in cost of living in Cali vs Alabama. And he would easily get another job equal to St Mary's if he did not make it at AU. Not sure you appreciate how much money AU is paying the current basketball staff.

that st marys coach you are referring to is the same guy as barbee was 3years ago. the hottest up and comer out there. without some good fortune in recruiting we still suck. the same as lebo 10 years ago. no reason to pay a 3 million$ buyout to do the same thing all over again. if he can pull a chris porter and develop another player or 3 and have a couple of good seasons i think he can build on that and improve. auburn basketball does not have the tradition to pull top recruits without a rockstar coach and we aint pulling a rockstar coach. we need some luck. the best thing jj could do right now is give barbee a public vote of confidence but be clear there will be no extensions until we see improvement. let the contract play out then part ways if no improvement.

mod edit: Thread cleaned of the bashing Jacobs posts. We have more than enough threads with that discussion already. Stick to the topic. There is no reason to have a fire jacobs discussion in every thread.

Unfortunately....I agree.

Archived