men vs. Tennesse Game Thread

WarTiger

It's really irrelevant. No one, including Barbee, is even really trying anymore. There's really no explanation for any of it other than lack of talent and coaching. The new arena isn't going to fix what Barbee lacks. I don't really see him getting AU to the tournament at all anymore. Watching him flounder his way through the season, doing the dumbest thing possible to an already fragile psyche (the quick hook) just shows me that he lacks real coaching skill. That's not to say that he can't get better, but he's clearly the weakest link in the program. He can claim it was in a huge mess before he came, but it's only gotten worse since then. With five years left on his contract at $1.5 million (no idea what the buyout is), I don't know how JJ can justify giving him the remainder of his contract really. If next year goes like this year, he should be looking for employment elsewhere. There's got to be plenty of guys out there who can do just as good or better for half the price. But I don't know if JJ can survive another coaching dismissal. Of course, he could be out before Barbee and that would change a lot.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest jojo1515

Barbee's career winning percentage at Auburn............................... 0.38%. He has averaged over 3 years a little over 1 win out of every 3 games. Not sure if that makes him officailly the worst bball coach ever at AU or not, but he's got to be up there. 1,000,000% out of excuses. Praying that JJ gets fired or "retires" very soon and Barbee is shown the door immediately after. This has gotten out of hand.

Not sure what cutting bait would cost us and who we could get that would do better but what are the realistic chances of a coach that ends his third year with a team playing like this will turn things around in a meaningful way ever? Please don't say 50-50. I put it at about 10% and that's being generous.

It's time for a new direction for AU basketball. Barbee just isn't getting the job done.

Yep....Barbee turning over the ball at critical moments near the end of the game. Why is he still playing at his age?

On the other hand, FS spoke the truth when he noted in a post-game interview that the team can't win when he turns the ball over 7 times. That was the reality of last night...when the game was on the line, one guy took over the game, started forcing shots... and everyone else started standing around watching...and it didn't work again.

IMO, TB's biggest failure this year is his inability to create a "team concept" with his older players. I lost track trying to keep up with the number of times a player brought the ball down and took a quick shot right away while team mates were still coming down the floor. And of course, they stopped, so it was one and done with a miss.

On the main, this just looked to me like a selfish team....guys afraid to pass the ball because it would never come back.

Much as I like our kids as individuals, it's probably good for Auburn that we start fresh with TB's players next season, most of whom got good floor time this season and should be able to develop their own personality and style.

fwiw, last time we won as few as 9 games was Sonny Smith's last year (1989). Of course unlike Barbee, Smith preceded that disasterous season w/ five (5) consecutive NCAA tourny appearances.

It's time for a new direction for AU basketball. Barbee just isn't getting the job done.

Yep....Barbee turning over the ball at critical moments near the end of the game. Why is he still playing at his age?

On the other hand, FS spoke the truth when he noted in a post-game interview that the team can't win when he turns the ball over 7 times. That was the reality of last night...when the game was on the line, one guy took over the game, started forcing shots... and everyone else started standing around watching...and it didn't work again.

IMO, TB's biggest failure this year is his inability to create a "team concept" with his older players. I lost track trying to keep up with the number of times a player brought the ball down and took a quick shot right away while team mates were still coming down the floor. And of course, they stopped, so it was one and done with a miss.

On the main, this just looked to me like a selfish team....guys afraid to pass the ball because it would never come back.

Much as I like our kids as individuals, it's probably good for Auburn that we start fresh with TB's players next season, most of whom got good floor time this season and should be able to develop their own personality and style.

I am assuming that you also wanted to keep Chizik after this year, and it was the players fault we went 3-9, right? It's time to stop pumping sunshine over Barbee, and start looking at facts. He has the worst three-year stretch ever for an Auburn basketball coach, and that's saying something. You can't honestly tell me that Barbee has improved anything since he has been here. And if you are objective at all, the stats prove that he has regressed since he's been here. I understand you and others, just like with Chizik, have some kind of man-crush or something with Barbee, but he's just not the right fit for Auburn. I believe Barbee would be a good coach at an established basketball program, like UK, North Carolina, Florida, etc., but he is not a coach who can rebuild programs. Auburn needs someone who has proven success of rebuilding programs, like St. Mary's coach, Butler's coach, Belmont's coach, etc. Anyway you cut it, Barbee needs to be fired after this season. For those of you who don't want him fired, there is no way we could get worse in basketball. Heck, I could coach this team, and get similar results. Trust me, it is not hard to win at basketball if you are a competent coach....

I am assuming that you also wanted to keep Chizik after this year, and it was the players fault we went 3-9, right? It's time to stop pumping sunshine over Barbee, and start looking at facts. He has the worst three-year stretch ever for an Auburn basketball coach, and that's saying something. You can't honestly tell me that Barbee has improved anything since he has been here. And if you are objective at all, the stats prove that he has regressed since he's been here. I understand you and others, just like with Chizik, have some kind of man-crush or something with Barbee, but he's just not the right fit for Auburn. I believe Barbee would be a good coach at an established basketball program, like UK, North Carolina, Florida, etc., but he is not a coach who can rebuild programs. Auburn needs someone who has proven success of rebuilding programs, like St. Mary's coach, Butler's coach, Belmont's coach, etc. Anyway you cut it, Barbee needs to be fired after this season. For those of you who don't want him fired, there is no way we could get worse in basketball. Heck, I could coach this team, and get similar results. Trust me, it is not hard to win at basketball if you are a competent coach....

Is there a reason to trust you? Considering that there are as many losses as wins in basketball overall.....and some teams have many more wins than losses (say Duke or Indiana or ??)then it makes sense that some teams will have more losses than wins....it's simple math and if just anyone had the ability to be a winning basketball coach, the winners (the ones who defy the odds) would not be making the millions they do.

As for hiring coaches from the schools mentioned, people might recall that TB was one of those guys too ...who took and nothing program and got to the NCAA... and three years ago everyone was just positive that JJ was going to run him off by insisting that TB sign a contract that had tough sanctions for the coach if the NCAA came calling. But the contract issue got resolved and everyone seemed happy....but not for long.

As for the coaches at the afore mentioned schools....they are at basketball schools where basketball is THE sport and for a number of years they have rejected better opportunities than AU because they have no interest in being the step-child program at a football school.

I'm not a TB fan to any extent so fire him if you want....my point is that when he is fired, also leaving will be many of the kids he brought in and probably all of a good recruting class that is on the hook for the coming year. It will be back to square one...like with Lebo and then Barbee when their predecessors were fired. Back to playing walk-ons and last minute recruits that can be rounded up from Jucos or discontented transfers...and of course, the "projects" that no one wanted to take a chance on. Playing "coaching roulette" is the permanent road to nowhere. JMO.

Is there a reason to trust you? Considering that there are as many losses as wins in basketball overall.....and some teams have many more wins than losses (say Duke or Indiana or ??)then it makes sense that some teams will have more losses than wins....it's simple math and if just anyone had the ability to be a winning basketball coach, the winners (the ones who defy the odds) would not be making the millions they do.

As for hiring coaches from the schools mentioned, people might recall that TB was one of those guys too ...who took and nothing program and got to the NCAA... and three years ago everyone was just positive that JJ was going to run him off by insisting that TB sign a contract that had tough sanctions for the coach if the NCAA came calling. But the contract issue got resolved and everyone seemed happy....but not for long.

As for the coaches at the afore mentioned schools....they are at basketball schools where basketball is THE sport and for a number of years they have rejected better opportunities than AU because they have no interest in being the step-child program at a football school.

I'm not a TB fan to any extent so fire him if you want....my point is that when he is fired, also leaving will be many of the kids he brought in and probably all of a good recruting class that is on the hook for the coming year. It will be back to square one...like with Lebo and then Barbee when their predecessors were fired. Back to playing walk-ons and last minute recruits that can be rounded up from Jucos or discontented transfers...and of course, the "projects" that no one wanted to take a chance on. Playing "coaching roulette" is the permanent road to nowhere. JMO.

That statement I hilighted in red is completely false. UTEP has a known program, and they actually regressed when Barbee took over until his final 2 seasons at UTEP. Look, I'm all for stability, but if you are paying a coach 1.5/2mil a year, that coach better be showing improvement in his three years. Facts don't lie. There has been no improvement since he has been here. I actually see it the other way if we fire him: It shows outsiders that we do not accept mediocrity. Auburn is not on probation, so there's no reason we cannot have at least a .500 record in the SEC, which by the way is the worst power 6 conference, and one of the worst conferences overall in basketball. I have a little basketball experience, having played for 10 years, and it is not difficult to be competitive, especially in the weak SEC. As a player, my teammates and I bought in our coach's system, and he made us believe we could win. He had leadership skills through the roof. He also never chastised or degrade us when we made mistakes. These are characteristics that Barbee lacks. The players have no respect for him because he has no system in place. To be successful in sports, you have to have a system that you believe in, and in turn your players will start believing in it, which culminates into wins. No, I'm not asking Auburn to get a coach who will take us to a Final Four every year, although I would love that, but do you not think we can get a coach who can do better than what Barbee is doing?

Also, I hate using them as an example, but do you know why Alabama is successful right now in basketball? It's because their coach has a system that he believes in, and knows that it will work. The players have seen the results of buying into Anthony Grant's system, and now they are on their way to winning 20 games this year for the third straight year, the first time ever for Alabama's basketball program. Again, it's not hard to win in basketball, as long as you have a system that your players will buy in, you will always be competitive...

Barbee's downfall is going to be due to the absolute horrible job he did recruiting players his first two years here. And until next basketball season starts we can't be sure how many guys from this last signing class will stick around either. Its true that the basketball program was decimated when Barbee came in, but the problem now is that after three years the program is still decimated. I think Barbee gets another year and then he'll be gone. I do not have much hope for Auburn to be any better next year than they were this year. Lets just all hope Jacobs isn't around to hire the next guy. I liked the Barbee hire but a guy can only get so many missing before you cut him loose and Jacobs has had several misses.

Hate the seniors couldn't get another win under their belt though

I really hated it for those guys too. I loved how Spencer opened the game with a big 3, frankie had 24 pts (i think) and wallace had 10 pts at the half. Proud of the guys. Hate they had to go out with a season like this.

Auburnguy101 - I have a legit question for you. You seem to be basketball savvy. Your reference to coaching seems to be a sophisticated high school or college. Most of the time when someone references a timeframe as long as 10 years then that would extend beyond college. Are you playing pro ball? Auburn affiliated? If that was the case, then the "been there done that" carries more weight with me.

I personally don't know what to think anymore about our bball program. What a mess. Unlike football, I just don't think we can stomach another coaching hook this short into the stay. I just pray we have some miraculous season next year. We had 10 guys average dbl digit minutes. I hope these young guys along with Harrell and the newbies have an epiphany next season.

Archived