1993 Auburn Tigers

WarEagle1982

Oh yes, I remember laying in my bedroom floor listening to the Vandy game. I believe they played two Thursday night games that year. I want to say Ole Miss in the opener was on Thursday night as well.

• 9 years later...
On 3/10/2013 at 8:41 AM, FHeal said:

Look a little like this...

0105_mid.jpg

Yup I’ve got one shadow-framed with Bowden’s autograph. The orange on the front cover has faded from seeing sunlight. Also have a new one still in its mailing package that has never seen light. 

On 3/11/2013 at 8:37 PM, ausburn said:

My wife I made every game that year. It was a great year of no expectations or TV. You could either go the games or as Jim would say watch them on the radio. The road game on Oct 30 to play Arkansas in Fayetteville was very cold and snowing. One of the coldest October games I have ever attended. Now when we go to games and it is cold we always say "at least it is not Arkansas cold" and trooper thru the weather.

I can’t imagine AU ever playing in a colder October game, unless we schedule a game at Michigan or Wisconsin. That ARK game had to be brutal to play in. I have some TV footage surrounding that game and needless to say, it was a headache for the AU equipment guy to find appropriate gear for everyone in such a short timespan. He said they managed to scrounge up five waist-hanging hand-warmers for Stan White & four skill position players to wear. When they arrived in Fayetteville, they snagged as many propane heaters from Walmart as they had.

On 3/12/2013 at 10:28 PM, WarEagle1982 said:

I believe they played two Thursday night games that year. I want to say Ole Miss in the opener was on Thursday night as well.

Nope, just one. The opener v Ole Miss. It was originally scheduled for ESPN.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2013 at 11:27 PM, PowerOfDixieland said:

While that was truly a great team, my first orange and blue love was the one from a decade earlier. I started school on the plains as a seventeen year old babe that fall. Finished the season fishing my brother out of Orleans Parish central lockup after the 9-7 win at the Sugar Bowl. Shoulda' won the MNC that year also.

We did win it….bias can’t be overcome but that team was the champions of 83.

I was stationed at Camp Casey, South Korea during the 93 season. News paper clippings kept me abreast. Hate I missed those games. 

Edited by autigeremt

On 3/9/2013 at 7:23 AM, WarEagle1982 said:

I was looking through some old stuff the other day and came across some magazines (one of them being the Sports Illustrated with Ace Atkins on the front) and videos I have on the 93 team. I was like, " Has it really been 20 years?" That was one of the best falls ever even though they were not on t.v. I was recently sitting next to Patrick Nix at a coaching clinic, and it took me back to the exact place where I was huddled around that little radio when he threw the 4th down touchdown to Frank Sanders to spark the comeback in the Iron Bowl. Great memories!

That team had so much confidence even before season started.  I graduated that spring, watched practices.  Players told me they could beat anybody they played.  I thought 8 wins based on who we had returning and how close we were the previous year.  Moved to Atlanta, and came back to see every home game with parents.  Good tailgating times. 

I was working in a telecenter the night we beat Vanderbilt.  You couldn't pick up am games in there.  I scheduled myself to work 40 minutes that night so I could listen to the game at my apartment.  I couldn't believe I was able to come in and leave.  I was going crazy in my apartment as we stopped them four times on the goal line. 

The UF game and Alabama games were special.  We were getting beat early by UF, and the stadium was quiet.  Still, there was an optimism that something was going to break-and then Calvin Jackson.  

• Like 1

On 3/9/2013 at 7:23 AM, WarEagle1982 said:

I was looking through some old stuff the other day and came across some magazines (one of them being the Sports Illustrated with Ace Atkins on the front) and videos I have on the 93 team. I was like, " Has it really been 20 years?" That was one of the best falls ever even though they were not on t.v. I was recently sitting next to Patrick Nix at a coaching clinic, and it took me back to the exact place where I was huddled around that little radio when he threw the 4th down touchdown to Frank Sanders to spark the comeback in the Iron Bowl. Great memories!

I was a much younger Swamp Eagle at the time, and I remember listening to all of the season on radio. What a year. 

This is great!  I pulled this thread up, but I didn't realize that I was the one that made the original post.  Still love those wonderful memories from 93.  I was 13 years old and in love with Auburn football in a very pro-Bama area and high school (our school actually had a player that was a freshman at Bama in 93 and a few others that came along a few years later).  That fall was one of great joy and excitement over Auburn football.  I will NEVER forget those days as long as I live!

• Like 1

Also, if you have never had the privilege of listening to Patrick Nix, in person, tell the story of how he had been preparing for that 4th and 15 play in the Iron Bowl for his entire life you have missed out.  I got to hear him tell that story at an event in Florence about 10 years ago.  He had tears streaming down his face as he talked about growing up in Haleyville and having to fight every day in elementary school because he was about the only Auburn fan in the school.  I literally had the hair standing up on my neck and wanted to go out knock the hell out of the first Bama fan I saw.  It truly was amazing.

• Like 3

Although we beat #1 UF and several quality teams that season, our '93 fan base was classic Auburn: we don't "need" to be playing a top bowl team for the national title anyway - we're not THAT good.

On 3/11/2013 at 8:10 PM, tiger88 said:

[quote name=Gibson SG'

timestamp='1363006814' post='1825359]

The loudest I have ever heard JHS was when Calvin Jackson returned a 95 yard interception against UF. I was 12 at the time. It was overcast and a little drizzly, but that place was full and loud. Can't wait for JHS to be rockin' again very soon.

He ran right by us on the way to the end zone. It was pandemonium. Good times.

But do you have photographic evidence that Jackson ran by you, like the handsome devil circled here?

1993.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, WarEagle1982 said:

Also, if you have never had the privilege of listening to Patrick Nix, in person, tell the story of how he had been preparing for that 4th and 15 play in the Iron Bowl for his entire life you have missed out.  I got to hear him tell that story at an event in Florence about 10 years ago.  He had tears streaming down his face as he talked about growing up in Haleyville and having to fight every day in elementary school because he was about the only Auburn fan in the school.  I literally had the hair standing up on my neck and wanted to go out knock the hell out of the first Bama fan I saw.  It truly was amazing.

I heard him share that in person at a wild game supper.

20 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

But do you have photographic evidence that Jackson ran by you, like the handsome devil circled here?

1993.jpg

I was across the field from you there. That was an electric play in an electric atmosphere.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

I was across the field from you there. That was an electric play in an electric atmosphere.

One of the best ever.

After the game ended, Aubie jumped up on his platform with an inflatable alligator on a noose. He had been swinging it around the entire game. I'm standing up on the wall on the other side of the bushes from him and yelled at him to throw it to me. He did. A couple of days later I had Terry Bowden sign it. Still have it somewhere in the house. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Sitting in student section...10-0 and about to be 17-0 until Calvin Jackson took it back 100yds.  Thank you, Mr. Wuerffel.

The Dillard four....Bostic, Sanders, Robinson and Jackson were amazing.  

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

Well, now I have a visual. Thanks.

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, autigeremt said:

I was stationed at Camp Casey, South Korea during the 93 season. News paper clippings kept me abreast. Hate I missed those games. 

Interesting. Jim Fyffe’s opening monologue for the 93 Iron Bowl included military fans listening via “a remote outpost in South Korea.” Were you not able to listen?

1 hour ago, WarEagle1982 said:

He had tears streaming down his face as he talked about growing up in Haleyville and having to fight every day in elementary school because he was about the only Auburn fan in the school. 

Exact same junior high experience I had. Grew my thick skin those four long years.

Then Bo went over the top. 

nick-cage-con-air.gif

• Haha 1