Roller-Coaster Season has Auburn Women in NCAA Championships

augolf1716

Bet very few Auburn people knew what the womens team had to go thru this year

One of their top golfers didn't play for three months as she dealt with her mother's illness. Their assistant coach left the team early in the season to deal with a medical condition. Their head coach was diagnosed with ovarian cancer shortly before the NCAA regionals.

But here they are, this resilient Auburn women's golf team, ready to tee off Tuesday in the NCAA Championships at the University of Georgia Golf Course.

Auburn has come a long way, first emotionally and then competitively, especially after a slow start to the season and a first-round score on their home course at the NCAA East Regional last week that almost ended their season right then and there. But the Tigers rallied in the final two rounds and now find themselves among the 24 teams battling for the national title at Georgia.

Auburn knows the course as a regular at Georgia's Liz Murphey Collegiate Classic, where the Tigers finished third in October.

"I think we have the momentum going now and our confidence level is much higher than it was," said Marta Sanz.

It's been a roller-coaster season.

"Seeing our results — last place, last place — we were just hoping to make it to regionals," remembered Carlie Yadloczky. "I think it was a shock because we never thought we'd make it to regionals, but we're our confidence is really booming right now.

"We've come back from a really bad season."

It's been difficult, but, "I think it's just made us stronger," said Yadloczky.

The physical part was only half of Auburn's game. Their coach, Kim Evans, learned she has ovarian cancer just days before the regional. She plans to be with her team at Georgia.

Great great rebound by the women. Really amazing to get into 9th place after the way they started. Kim is an amazing woman

The Auburn women's golf team made some major moves Thursday as the Tigers carded a 3-under-par 285 to finish the day at 18-over 882 for the tournament. Auburn tied for the lowest round of the day and moved up into a tie for ninth heading into Friday's final round.Hosted by Georgia, the NCAA Championship is a 72-hole stroke play championship taking place at the University of Georgia Golf Course in Athens, Ga. The par-72 course plays at 6,372 yards for the tournament. The tournament field is made up of 24 teams, eight advancing from each regional site, and six individuals for a 126-player field.It was an early start for the Tigers as the team had to come in and complete Wednesday's weather-shortened round before starting the third round. Auburn did so in fine fashion, carding two birdies to finish the second round with a 4-over 292.Auburn kept the momentum going through the rest of the morning as the Tigers combined 17 birdies in the third round and its second-lowest round of the season."The first day, the team seemed a bit rattled, but I think Coach Evans flying in and the team seeing her out of the course really settled them," said student assistant Danielle Downey. "She gave a couple tips and it seemed to work. Each day, we've gotten better and hopefully tomorrow will be our best day."We've bounced back two days in a row, and it's good to see. It's a sign of character and strength. I think they tried to win the tournament the first day, but they learned a lot that first day and applied it yesterday and today."Auburn was in last place after the first round and moved up five places to a tie for 19th after 36 holes. The Tigers made another big leap in the third round, moving up 10 places into a tie for ninth, mostly on the strength of three Tigers with sub-par rounds.

The young ladies and coaches deserve a great round of applause. Wound up finishing 6th overall, and finished the highest of any SEC school. Tough situation they were faced with, but they showed tenacity we all can be proud of. War Eagle!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

The young ladies and coaches deserve a great round of applause. Wound up finishing 6th overall, and finished the highest of any SEC school. Tough situation they were faced with, but they showed tenacity we all can be proud of. War Eagle!!!!

I just saw this. What an amazing group of coaches and young women. I am absolutely proud of them! WDE!

Archived