Chizik's New Gig

TecmoBoJackson

So apprently Gene has a new job with Sirius as an analyst. While I am very happy that he has found something that he wants to do and seems he enjoys, I also was wondering if that means Auburn is now off the hook for his salary??? You know, so we can cut down on the coaches we pay who aren't on the sidelines.

http://www.wareagleextra.com/2013/07/18/gene-chizik-joins-siriusxm-radio-show/

So apprently Gene has a new job with Sirius as an analyst. While I am very happy that he has found something that he wants to do and seems he enjoys, I also was wondering if that means Auburn is now off the hook for his salary??? You know, so we can cut down on the coaches we pay who aren't on the sidelines.

http://www.wareaglee...sxm-radio-show/

His AU buyout will still be paid, just reduced by his salary with Sirius. It's no big deal - AU's been paying steep buyouts to former coaches for a long while and the funds are still there.

2010 BCSNC.... Pay the guy and email JJ. I wish Chiz was our AD over JJ. Can't wait to hear his input TBH

It'll be interesting to hear Chizik on SXM. He doesn't strike me as the media personality type (that seems more like Tuberville's forte), but he can't be any worse than Houston Nutt is on there.

Paying former coaches goes on for the life of their contracts unless they find equal paying jobs. Otherwise we make up any shortages in salary for them.

UAT only recently stopped payments to their other head football coach, Mike Shula. Shula had signed a multi year contract with UAT before they fired him.

Oddly enough Shula was still getting money from UAT while he coached Cam as Carolina.....

Va tech got leoffler and grimes for almost nothing because auburn opened the checkbook on them. Its a good way to get cheap help. Chiz probably only wants to work to stay active and market himself for when the free auburn $ goes away. Thats my speculation.

A good decent man. I wish him all the best.

2010 BCSNC.... Pay the guy and email JJ. I wish Chiz was our AD over JJ. Can't wait to hear his input TBH

Oh we are paying him for that 1 year. AU meets their obligations.

And thankfully, it's not ESPN so I can listen to him. Way to go coach

He is a gazillion times more desireable to listen to than Finebaum!!! Hopefully he will do a great job and enjoy it. He's a man of great character and I am sure he will speak well of Auburn whenever he has to talk about us. Congrats to CGC

A good decent man. I wish him all the best.

Absolutely!

On that point, I don't think there is any question.

i would imagine he will represent auburn well, with class, as a former auburn coach

Keelser is right, it's an offset to the $203K per month, >:( , we are paying him to hit the road.

It is tough being Gene. :drippingsarcasm7pa:

Keelser is right, it's an offset to the $203K per month, >:(/> , we are paying him to hit the road.

It is tough being Gene. :drippingsarcasm7pa:/>

You'd rather not have the 2010 national championship? Whatever we're paying him, he deserves it for guiding our team to the ultimate goal under the most trying of circumstances. No Chizik, no championship. It's as simple as that.

Keelser is right, it's an offset to the $203K per month, >:(/> , we are paying him to hit the road.

You'd rather not have the 2010 national championship? Whatever we're paying him, he deserves it for guiding our team to the ultimate goal under the most trying of circumstances. No Chizik, no championship. It's as simple as that.

I respectfully disagree in terms of Chizik deserving the huge buyout. Had he deserved it for winning the NC we would have paid him a $7 million bonus, right then. Instead JJ gave him a raise to be earned for FUTURE work. JJ gave him an unheard of buyout when no one was chasing him and he was not going anywhere. As I understand it Lowder was very much against such a crazy high buyout. I don't know of anyone before or since in college football with that kind of buyout.

Having said that, I do agree without Chizik chances are we would have not one the BCS. He hired Gus. He also made some gutsy calls (like the 4th and 3 against UAT). I just don't think that kind of buyout was necessary. Jacobs was not under external pressure to agree to that kind of buyout, IMHO. Maybe JJ thought Florida would make a run at Gene if Muschamp didn't work out. I don't know what his thinking was. But the buyout was too high IMHO.

And my original comment was meant (as I said) sarcastically. It is kind of nice to make $230K a month sitting at home. I think we all can agree with that.

I think the story is a little more complicated because unfortunately it didn't end there. His complete body of work encompassed 2 levels of performance not seen in 60 years. One on the positive end of the scale and one on the negative. As long as that is recognized, we don't get in to the mode like some other places that think a mythical championship is all that matters over everything else, because it isn't.

So while I am sure most Auburn fans are glad we won the trophy, the reality is that AU football also paid a heavy price in many areas the following 2 years. When making a judgement on whether he deserves "whatever we're paying him", many people in doing so also rightfully reflect on the damage that was done. Having said that, the reality is of course that he is getting paid that amount because most renegotiated contracts are done after something positive has occurred and future negatives usually won't effect it. So it's 2 different issues, one a judgement issue and one an issue of the reality of a contract. It is what it is.

This is a good place to mention that many people can make the mistake of thinking that criticism or judgement of a person's job performance means the person's character is also being criticized. That is not and should not be the case. In fact for a successful organization to exist, it is a requirement that job performance must be honestly judged. So it is important for people to understand that a person's job performance is separate and apart from their character, although one can definitely effect the other.

Over the years, I have observed several people of very good character and high morals that did not have the skill set to perform a given job over the long term. They were well intentioned and very good people but the results of their performance finally reached a point where they were dismissed. Such is the case here. A case of a good man who accomplished some good things and was paid well for that, but a man who also did some serious damage. A decent man of good character who in the end did not possess the skill set, to match the ability that was necessary to perform the job or fulfill the responsibilities he was given.

I agree about CGC being a good and decent man. He gave us a NC, and that counts for a lot in my book. Of course, he needed to be let go after the horror of 2012. But in the end, he is a good man who deserves a lot of respect no doubt.

I agree Chiz is a good guy. He proved not to be such a good coach. Chiz did not give us a BCSNC, Newton did.

I agree about CGC being a good and decent man. He gave us a NC, and that counts for a lot in my book. Of course, he needed to be let go after the horror of 2012. But in the end, he is a good man who deserves a lot of respect no doubt.

Agree 64. I wish Chizik the best and appreciate the 2010 NC. That said, no HC is going to turn down the contract JJ offered. This is a JJ issue all the way.

War Eagle !

Archived