Loeffler's Comments

Sid

Dude was set up to fail because Chizik wanted to be saban/miles2.0. We had the correct system offensively, and it left when Gus left. Glad he is back!

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad he's gone, if Alabama wants a substitute Defensive Coordinator, I already know what play he's going to run. And this is coming from a die hard Auburn fan. I hope Alabama stomps them 70-0.

Can't go along with you here. I am pulling for the Va. Tech upset. I hope Lof. calls the best game of his life. :wareagle:

tbh I don't take offence to it because I don't think he meant it bad. We weren't a good fit for him. He's a pro guy.We had a dual threat QB who had pretty much never even taken an under-center snap, much less run a Pro Style offense. We also didn't have any up-the-middle runners. Also, everyone talks of Gene hampering Gus's offense. Well, how do we know he didn't meddle in Loeffler's? I remember our offense being pretty decent against clemson. Had like 360 yards. Sure that's not amzing but it's pretty good compared to the rest of the season.

I'm glad he's gone, if Alabama wants a substitute Defensive Coordinator, I already know what play he's going to run. And this is coming from a die hard Auburn fan. I hope Alabama stomps them 70-0.

Can't go along with you here. I am pulling for the Va. Tech upset. I hope Lof. calls the best game of his life. :wareagle:/>

Same here and then lose the rest of his games by double digits.

Can't go along with you here. I am pulling for the Va. Tech upset. I hope Lof. calls the best game of his life. :wareagle:

Amen, brother. I'll never hope Bama beats anyone. I can't possibly despise anyone more than I do Bama and their fan base.

As for all the animosity towards Loeffler, I'm not sure I get it. Yea, our offense sucked last year, yea, he was responsible for the horrible play calling, but he was offered a job, making a lot of money, in the most high profile conference in the country. I don't blame him for taking the job and doing what was probably his best under the circumstances. So he was in over his head and not ready, he sure wasn't going to turn it down. He must have some potential to coach, as VT is not a huge step back, so other coaches see something in him. He took advantage of an offer he couldn't refuse and is capitalizing on it. I'm going to stay focused on where we are going and erase the pain of last year the best I can. But I sure don't despise and hate someone enough to say I hope Bama beats them! That would take a lot more anger than I could muster, and I would be scared to see me with that much anger as it couldn't be healthy for me and I would surely need some professional help to get over it! ^-^

I don't think Loeffler is a bad coach, actually. Last year was going to be a disaster from the start due to having personnel to go with a spread offense and Chizik handcuffing the coaches. His recruiting comment simply means that the players at AU were not suited for his offense. It was like a square peg in a round hole. If he had gotten to run the offense his way and if he had gotten to recruit HIS players, I think we'd actually be in pretty good shape.

He probably did mean that the recruits weren't tailored for his style, but even if he didn't remember this:

When he came in and evaluated his players, all he saw were small, slow, weak, underdeveloped players that were the result of lackadaisical conditioning and undisciplined coaching. He and Van Gorder were duped by Chizik. Even Van Gorder said after one of the many beatdowns that the players just weren't big or strong enough.

Also, although we always had high rankings in recruiting, we have lost a TON of 4 and 5 star players for various reasons, and very few have been because they went to the NFL early...

I guess what I'm saying is, regardless of his reasoning, when I take off my orange and blue glasses, I can see the comment being justified.

He probably did mean that the recruits weren't tailored for his style, but even if he didn't remember this:

When he came in and evaluated his players, all he saw were small, slow, weak, underdeveloped players that were the result of lackadaisical conditioning and undisciplined coaching. He and Van Gorder were duped by Chizik. Even Van Gorder said after one of the many beatdowns that the players just weren't big or strong enough.

Also, although we always had high rankings in recruiting, we have lost a TON of 4 and 5 star players for various reasons, and very few have been because they went to the NFL early...

I guess what I'm saying is, regardless of his reasoning, when I take off my orange and blue glasses, I can see the comment being justified.

Gotta call BS on this..."duped by Chiz" ? That must be a joke. Both lefty and BVG inherited a couple of top ten recruiting classes of 4* and a few 5* players and failed to turn them into a team. These were two coaches who failed miserably and basically quit about mid-season...quit on their players and quit on Auburn fans too. JMO of course but lefty and 'stache deserve absolutely no sympathy from AU and I'm more than happy that they are somewhere else.

Leoffler was an amazingly terrible hire for us last year. However; I think we might find out that he is a better coach than most are giving him credit for. I don't believe Leoffler was running his O last year at all. I think he was running Chizik's.

wde

To me these statements are a cop out. As a coach you should never blame your players for your faults. That just shows your inability to coach. I never liked the Lefty hire anyways. I admit I was excited because he coached some big names but he should have stayed a QB coach not a OC. He wasted the talents of Prosch by sitting him on the bench a lot and not sticking with Mason when he was moving the ball well. Our QB play was horrible to say the least.

I wish Auburn would have flashed the cash to Chad Morris to pull him away from Clemsux to replace Gus when he left. It will be nice to see the Malzahn offense fully unleashed this season with no holding back.

I'm still hoping VT beats Bama but i just don't see that happening. Although i feel like VT will not be as bad as the Mich debacle. Lefty seems to be a better fit for VT although i think Logan would be better served in the shot gun. He's a big Qb that has some decent mobility but is more of a bruiser and short yardage running Qb more than anything.

Logan didn't have a good spring game and the VT fans are a little worried. Don't blame them b/c much like KF, Logan worked out of the shotgun before Lefty came to town. He just doesn't seem comfortable or excited with the new offense and Lefty. I saw an interview he did a few weeks ago talking about the offense and he seemed kind of nonchalant / blah like. Logan's a senior too so the change can't be easy for him.

I'm sure he knows all about Auburn last season. Why on earth would he be excited?

He could've faked it. He is suppose to be their leader. Just was an observation. That's all.

Can his Qb execute it is VT's problem. I'm pulling for them too but Logan has to have the game of his life. He is capable but is very unpredictable. His main issue is throwing too high which of course leads to INT's. VT fans are calling for the next man up but they know with Logan being a senior it's not likely to happen. They are not very confident about the Bama game esp. after a bad spring game but Logan is their best chance to beat Bama. Their OL wasn't good at all last year which hampered the running game. Grimes has all jobs on the OL open.

When Loeffler was hired I said it was a BIG mistake, and was blasted by many, including a player's father who said I had no idea what I was talking about. Well, the hire wasn't Chizik's first choice I'm sure but I think it did cost him his job, why would you run a pro style offense with players specifically recruited to fit Coach Malzhan's no huddle type offense?

I seem to remember that too, wasn't this the same guy that everyone had a cute nickname for, "lefty"? If I recall, anyone questioning his credentials was greeted with "Tom Brady says hello." Maybe a lesson should be learned for this year's coaching staff before anointing this the best staff in the country without playing a single game.

Also, this the second coordinator that has hinted that last year's team wasn't that talented. Hopefully they are wrong, but before it is outright dismissed we should remember that just like many said of Chizik last year, these guys "didn't forget how to coach overnight."

:thumbsup:

Can't go along with you here. I am pulling for the Va. Tech upset. I hope Lof. calls the best game of his life. :wareagle:/>

Thats right!

Gotta call BS on this..."duped by Chiz" ? That must be a joke. Both lefty and BVG inherited a couple of top ten recruiting classes of 4* and a few 5* players and failed to turn them into a team. These were two coaches who failed miserably and basically quit about mid-season...quit on their players and quit on Auburn fans too. JMO of course but lefty and 'stache deserve absolutely no sympathy from AU and I'm more than happy that they are somewhere else.

Uhhh it's not a joke. It's widely known that Chizik was terrible. He meddled in everything and it showed. He wanted to create that best friend family atmosphere and it lead to a gang of softies instead of a football team. Our players under Chizik will never live up to their full potential because they wasted 1 or more years that could have involved real coaching, discipline, and training.

What did you expect them to do with not even a full year and an ego maniac as their boss? I'm not saying these guys are without fault, but if you don't believe by now that Chizik was the main offender, I don't know what to do for you.

Uhhh it's not a joke. It's widely known that Chizik was terrible. He meddled in everything and it showed. He wanted to create that best friend family atmosphere and it lead to a gang of softies instead of a football team. Our players under Chizik will never live up to their full potential because they wasted 1 or more years that could have involved real coaching, discipline, and training.

What did you expect them to do with not even a full year and an ego maniac as their boss? I'm not saying these guys are without fault, but if you don't believe by now that Chizik was the main offender, I don't know what to do for you.

By all accounts Chizik did meddle, micro-manage, and stripped away authority (and thereby respect from some of the players) from his staff. Loeffler landed in a bad situation. But none of that was the fault of the 18-22 year old kids Loeffler was hired to coach.

He may not have had the ideal players for his scheme - but isn't it the job of the OC to tailor the scheme to fit the players?

Even if it wasn't his inability to create an offensive identity, to create an effective game plan, to call effective plays, or to develop the players (all of which Chizik may have hampered) - it is inexcusable for any coach to lay the blame for his failures on the players.

He is probably a good coach. He was at Auburn at a bad time. He didn't have the right personnel, and from everything I have heard, he had a meddlesome HC. I saw an Auburn DC, who looked like he had no clue, go to a school that was under intense scrutiny and field a top 25 D.

^^^This^^^

I see where Loeffler is coming from on this one,

First we had an offense which with the exception of 5-6 guys was 95% spread offense players

He was stubborn and didn't try to help incorporate any of the spread stuff that they had done before into his offense (Bad Coach Comment)

And finally recruiting is the world because if you don't have the right players for your system (Quarterback) you will fail.

Finally like Malzahn and Auburn, Loeffler still has a lot to prove to see how good he truly is, the next 5 years for both will show that

I do think its funny that the only player calling Loeffler out is the kid who can't help but snap the ball over the QBs head, but do I like Tunde's passion

I've gotta say that I don't think Lefty is a bad coach. The only game we saw his offense was against Clemson, a game which I attended, and the matchup was a very good one. Clemson caught fire after playing us in the Dome, if memory serves me, while we went the other direction (save for a very strong defensive showing against LSU). I suspect that had he been given more of a free rein, he would have fashioned the offense more to the talents of the players, but let us not forget the point about conditioning: cutting the legs out from under Yox was one of, if not the, worst moves Chizik could have made. Watching the defensive line get manhandled week in and week out was far from refreshing, and that was with mostly veterans in the two-deep.

I do have to say, however, that I suspect those same players will be back up to par this year. The renewed vigor of Ryan Russell seems to have gotten the edge back into strength and conditioning, and I'm not of the school of thought that we're so far behind in that area that it cannot be overcome. Too many kids come in from high school and as second year players and make a difference for me to believe that veterans who have been lifting (because most of them were still pushing, even if it wasn't as hard) can't make up ground.

I do like seeing Tunde fired up about Loeffler's comments, however, and I strongly suspect that he isn't the only one motivated by the shot fired by our former OC.

He was QB coach and not one them could adequately execute a three step drop back....not one of them. They all looked bad and this was supposed to be his area of expertise. Like someone said I think he folded up shop once he realized how Chizik was micro managing everything. Fortunately we all get to see him work this season and then we can compare with more accuracy.

I think our recruits that were not strong enough, quick enough, or talented enough last season played good enough, to beat two of the best teams in the country last season. (LSU and Dumbo's thugs)

Recruiting wasn't the issue unless the players simply were not recruited to fit into Lefty's system. If that is the case it begs the questions: why was Lefty hired, and who hired him? Oh yea Chiz's ego, I almost forgot!!

He is probably a good coach. He was at Auburn at a bad time. He didn't have the right personnel, and from everything I have heard, he had a meddlesome HC. I saw an Auburn DC, who looked like he had no clue, go to a school that was under intense scrutiny and field a top 25 D.

^^^This^^^

I've always thought Roof was a good coach who got a raw deal at Auburn. According to Chip Kelly our defense won the national championship game, "The matchup with our offensive line against their defensive line was really the changing point in the football game," Ducks coach Chip Kelly said. Is Georgia Tech running the Tampa Two? I don't think so.

Sorry.....I must have been dreaming about Chiz's three bowl wins and an NC during his 4 years at AU. Guess I was thinking of some other school and some other coach. Otherwise .....to hear some on here tell it....Chiz gets 100% blame for the 3-9 season and none of the credit for the BCS championship and three bowl wins :-\ I get it....he just become the actual HC in 2012 and was merely a spectator the previous 3 years.

Sorry.....I must have been dreaming about Chiz's three bowl wins and an NC during his 4 years at AU. Guess I was thinking of some other school and some other coach. Otherwise .....to hear some on here tell it....Chiz gets 100% blame for the 3-9 season and none of the credit for the BCS championship and three bowl wins :-\/> I get it....he just become the actual HC in 2012 and was merely a spectator the previous 3 years.

I understand what you are saying, I really do........but let's not forget Chiz had Gus, Roof, and Tubbs recruits every year but last.

Both Vangord and Lefty were terrible hires. Way too many Avg 4 star recruits that didn't pan out. Then last season was the worst or second worst in the HISTORY of AU!

IMO Chiz does deserve the majority of the blame! Who cares anyway, It is a new day!!!!

Archived