AU Basketball travels to the Bahamas

RunInRed

On the way to Atlanta airport. Going to the Bahamas today with my brothers! #surreal #WDE #MBK

@CD3__ (Chris Denson)

More on the trip ...

The Auburn basketball team will spend the first week of August in the Bahamas as Coach Tony Barbee prepares his fourth team for the 2013-14 season. The team will leave Auburn on Friday, Aug. 2 and return on Friday, Aug. 9, playing a pair of games against teams from the Bahamas Basketball Federation.

"With the number of newcomers entering the program this year, a foreign trip like this comes at a good time," said Barbee, "not just for the games, but more importantly, for the practices, the team building and the experience of working together. This gives us a chance to establish early on who we are and how we do things. Plus the educational benefits our student-athletes will derive from traveling outside the country is invaluable."

Auburn will have two days of practice in the Bahamas before facing the Real Deal Shockers at 9pm on Tuesday, Aug. 6 at Sir Kendal Isaac's Gymnasium. A practice session will follow on Wednesday before the team plays the Bahamas All Stars at 7pm on Thursday, Aug. 8, and returns home the following day.

Other schools scheduled to travel to the Bahamas during the same period as Auburn include Maryland and Kent State, among many others. Schools are prohibited from playing each other.

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/062413aac.html

More here as well: http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/073013aaa.html

Anybody know the quality of the two Bahama teams we will be playing? Will it give us any kind of gage on the quality of players we have this year? Especially the Freshman.

Probably just provides an opportunity to practice against someone beside their team mates and a very nice way to get in some development work before the season starts. Hope the PG situation gets some clarity.

So what is the setup of this? Is it a round robin tournament or more along the lines of just playing everybody there and not necessarily having a winner of the whole thing?

It's not a tournament in any way. We play 2 teams from the Bahamas and get a couple extra practices in.

9114976.jpeg

NASSAU, The Bahamas - The Auburn basketball team participated in its first team practice since arriving on the island of the Bahamas on Sunday morning, spending a spirited two hours at The Kendal G. L. Isaacs National Gymnasium.

"It was good to get back in the gym," Auburn head coach Tony Barbee said. "We had a productive 10 days of practice back in Auburn before we made the trip. After a day of travel and a day of getting settled in we finally got back in the gym. There was a little rust after two days but the guys went hard and they competed hard. We weren't as sharp in our execution but that's to be expected since we haven't had a lot of practice time."

More: http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/080413aaa.html

Won the 1st game in the Bahamas, 99-63. Denson & Griffin led in scoring each 20-points plus. The two point guards combined for 20.

Link

Won the 1st game in the Bahamas, 99-63. Denson & Griffin led in scoring each 20-points plus. The two point guards combined for 20.

Link

i just started a thread ... You got ahead of me by 1 minute! I should type faster!

It is hard to say what these two wins means. More importantly the cooments from players seem to show a bonding and the second win was against a team that pushed Maryland a little bit. I am not sure how good Maryland is so that might or mightnot mean anything. I started out as a very big Barbee supporter. I have slowly but surely joined the camp of this has to be last year unless we see some solid play from the team with solid improvement. Winnig record .500 in SEC play would deserve another year. Two weeks ago I would have bet that is not possible. Still may not be, but the bonding and the positive comments by Barbee give me some hope.

So here is to hoping team pulls it together.

Like what I am hearing so far but as well all know; it is a long time until Nov. and then SEC start in Jan. Like what I am hearing from KTH and some of other players. There may be more camaraderie on this team than recently. I believe having the extra time as a team for this trip will prove very beneficial; at least I hope so.

Like what I am hearing so far but as well all know; it is a long time until Nov. and then SEC start in Jan. Like what I am hearing from KTH and some of other players. There may be more camaraderie on this team than recently. I believe having the extra time as a team for this trip will prove very beneficial; at least I hope so.

I believe we are of the same mind. We want to be hopeful but recent Basketball history makes us afraid to be anything more than very, vERY, vERY CAUTIOUSLY HOPEFUL.

It is hard to say what these two wins means. More importantly the cooments from players seem to show a bonding and the second win was against a team that pushed Maryland a little bit. I am not sure how good Maryland is so that might or mightnot mean anything. I started out as a very big Barbee supporter. I have slowly but surely joined the camp of this has to be last year unless we see some solid play from the team with solid improvement. Winnig record .500 in SEC play would deserve another year. Two weeks ago I would have bet that is not possible. Still may not be, but the bonding and the positive comments by Barbee give me some hope.

So here is to hoping team pulls it together.

I personally don't think these two wins mean a whole lot, but I'd rather win them than lose for sure. We should have won and we did. Hopefully we can improve and then maybe we can look back and say this was a springboard to that improvement. Or maybe we simply beat a couple of crappy teams from the Bahamas. I dunno. Ha!

Looks like a lot of good team chemistry out there. Along with some nice ball play. I have been befuddled at how our teams have played under his direction, after watching his UTEP teams play. I do believe he is a good coach and that perhaps the attrition we have seen in the past was necessary, although unsavory, to us as fans. I think that this team will be the one to turn the corner and begin Barbees successful career as OUR head coach.

Looks like a lot of good team chemistry out there. Along with some nice ball play. I have been befuddled at how our teams have played under his direction, after watching his UTEP teams play. I do believe he is a good coach and that perhaps the attrition we have seen in the past was necessary, although unsavory, to us as fans. I think that this team will be the one to turn the corner and begin Barbees successful career as OUR head coach.

How dare you bring that optimistic tone to an AU bball forum! Just kidding, I'm with you on this.

Why was the attrition necessary when he was the one bringing them in to begin with? Year one I get as that's often the case. After that, Im not so sure. I certainly hope your right though.

The years of unprecedented attrition is due to Barbee either: 1)Mis-jusging his signee's playing abilities or 2) mis-judging his signee's character. Neither case is a good reflection on the coach.

Archived