2013 Fall Camp -- Practice 1 (Fri, Aug 2)

RunInRed

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jonathan Mincy on new QB Jeremy Johnson: "He doesn't look like a freshman, but just excited to see what he can come in and bring to the table."

Mincy said Josh Holsey looks "comfortable" at safety after moving from cornerback.

CB Jonathon Mincy said the secondary "had a lot of pass breakups," but there were no interceptions.

LT Greg Robinson asked about Scot Loeffler's "recruiting is the world" comment. He said he'd rather keep past in past and not bring it up.

Robinson said it's "a great competition" at QB, and nobody stood out above the pack on Day 1.

Malzahn said Ryan Russell has before/after pics players going thru conditioning: "They're really enlightening. They're changing their body."

@AUBlog

Auburn's Jeff Whitaker after first day of practice: "It's just a different atmosphere among the whole crew."

@AUGoldMine

Jonathan Mincy on new QB Jeremy Johnson: "He doesn't look like a freshman, but just excited to see what he can come in and bring to the table."

@AUBlog

Yes, it's interesting. I wonder what JJ might do this fall!

What's the deal with the sportswriter from Arkansas, Bob something or other? The room just busted out when his name was mentioned, twice.

Mincy said Josh Holsey looks "comfortable" at safety after moving from cornerback.

CB Jonathon Mincy said the secondary "had a lot of pass breakups," but there were no interceptions.

LT Greg Robinson asked about Scot Loeffler's "recruiting is the world" comment. He said he'd rather keep past in past and not bring it up.

Robinson said it's "a great competition" at QB, and nobody stood out above the pack on Day 1.

Malzahn said Ryan Russell has before/after pics players going thru conditioning: "They're really enlightening. They're changing their body."

@AUBlog

Auburn's Jeff Whitaker after first day of practice: "It's just a different atmosphere among the whole crew."

@AUGoldMine

I would LOVE to see those before and afters hahaha

These are my favorite threads of the year. Thanks for all the info RIR, it really is appreciated.

-There seems to be a plethora of raw talent at QB. Just how raw it is could go a long way towards determining what kind of season we have.

-Overall, the team looks to be in better shape than last year. It's hard to speculate after only seeing one practice, but from what I saw they do look bigger and stronger.

-One young DT with a single digit # looked rather small in comparison to the rest of the DL during drills. I realize it'll take him time to be physically prepared for that position, but I think a couple of people might have to temper their expectations for him this coming fall.

-It'll be interesting to see exactly where Avery Young fits into this OL once he's 100%. The guy is extremely talented but so is Miller. Robinson looks to have LT on lock down.

Can't wait for practice #2. Thanks again for putting this thread together, RIR.

What's the deal with the sportswriter from Arkansas, Bob something or other? The room just busted out when his name was mentioned, twice.

I think he said "This is Bob Holt from the Arkansas Democrat Gazette." I think folks were just laughing because of Malzahn's reaction to the first question being from this guy from Arkansas. It looked like Gus smiled and said something like, "Bob's following me. I like Bob." That cracked a few folks up. Then, at the end of the press conference, Gus thanked all the reporters -- then cracked "And thank you, Bob!"

You know, there's football smart, and then there's the smart that is evidenced by being funny. I am happy to say it looks like Gus has both.

9113543.jpeg

Nick Marshall shows off his arm in Auburn's first practice

(Todd Van Emst photo)

"The first part of practice we let the older guys who went through spring, and let our two new guys sit back and watch and see how everything went.

"It was very equal among the four of them all day."

Malzahn's assessment of Nick Marshall went like this: "Very good arm strength, there's no doubt, not just the long throws, but he throws the short throws real hard, too. It's going to be a matter of him learning the offense."

Malzahn said Jeremy Johnson "has run a similar offense before, so a lot of the communication stuff he's got down. It's just a matter of learning a few new schemes. He also has an outstanding arm. We recruited him for this offense."

http://www.auburntig.../080313aah.html

Random comment but I just noticed this... they misspelled Marshall's last name on his helmet!

You would think that he would catch a mistake before he put it on. It may be a newby joke, and he went along with it. WDE.

That's what I'm thinking. ...some sorta inside joke. ..or could be a backwards way of saying your no more important than any other nrw guy rather than having him think the starting job is his....who knows

Guest NC1406

-One young DT with a single digit # looked rather small in comparison to the rest of the DL during drills. I realize it'll take him time to be physically prepared for that position, but I think a couple of people might have to temper their expectations for him this coming fall.

Which DT are they referring to? Would this be Adams?

That would be the one.

That would be the one.

He looks fairly stout to me so it could be just an illusion from the number. The one thing I did notice about Adams was how quick he can move his feet.

That would be the one.

He looks fairly stout to me so it could be just an illusion from the number. The one thing I did notice about Adams was how quick he can move his feet.

Probably just a matter of opinion. I know he weighs 300+ but in a all the pics I've seen(most notably the one where he's issued his jersey #) and the 1st practice video, he just looks a little under sized. Watch the video again and compare him to Whitaker and Wright. I know they've been here much longer but that isn't my point. They just appear to be more powerfully built, at least at this point. As with anything, we'll have to wait and see how it all plays out on the field.

That would be the one.

Probably just a matter of opinion. I know he weighs 300+ but in a all the pics I've seen(most notably the one where he's issued his jersey #) and the 1st practice video, he just looks a little under sized. Watch the video again and compare him to Whitaker and Wright. I know they've been here much longer but that isn't my point. They just appear to be more powerfully built, at least at this point. As with anything, we'll have to wait and see how it all plays out on the field.

Yah, I know what you're saying. It could also be that his 300 pounds contains less body fat compared to the other 2 you mentioned. He could look smaller but would have more muscle at the same weight. Anyway, watch his footwork in that drill, he is noticeably quicker on his feet.

That would be the one.

i thought he looked bigger than I expected.

Archived