Question about Recruiting

aubfan36078

527081_10151537109125870_2014270912_n.jpg

Found this picture on line and something about it has me a little puzzled. Read the #1 " things you should know ". How would you feel as a High School football player or the parent of a player , and the school that your child commits to basically threatens to pull their offer if you take a single visit or entertains the idea of taking a phone call from another coach?I think the high school kids should enjoy this part of the recruitment. The visits , and the pampering they will get from the schools is just part of the recruiting monster. Why take that away from a kid?

I have no problem with it. It's saying you shop, we shop. If you want to "enjoy the process of recruiting" then don't commit. Realistically if you're still looking then you're not 100% committed so why should a school fully commit to you? If a program wants you bad enough they will hold a spot for you. However if you think your spot has a timetable on it and you want to be apart of that particular program you better jump on board and shut down your recruitment. Remember, it's a privilege for these kids to go through this process, not a right.

Found this picture on line and something about it has me a little puzzled. Read the #1 " things you should know ". How would you feel as a High School football player or the parent of a player , and the school that your child commits to basically threatens to pull their offer if you take a single visit or entertains the idea of taking a phone call from another coach?I think the high school kids should enjoy this part of the recruitment. The visits , and the pampering they will get from the schools is just part of the recruiting monster. Why take that away from a kid?

Because soe coaches are so afraid of losing their recruits they try to scare them to dropping communication with other schools. I agree with you. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity and one of the top 5 choices in a person's life. The recruits should feel free to take all their visits or not if they choose.

Because soe coaches are so afraid of losing their recruits they try to scare them to dropping communication with other schools. I agree with you. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity and one of the top 5 choices in a person's life. The recruits should feel free to take all their visits or not if they choose.

However to his point, the recruit does not have anything taken away from him. He doesn't have to commit to Texas. He also doesn't have to commit to Texas until he is ready. In both of those cases, he is free to do whatever he wants and nothing is taken away.

However to his point, the recruit does not have anything taken away from him. He doesn't have to commit to Texas. He also doesn't have to commit to Texas until he is ready. In both of those cases, he is free to do whatever he wants and nothing is taken away.

I don't follow it looks to me based on the photo that his offer at the very least is implied that it will be taken away or in jeopardy of being taken away if he communicates with other schools.

A University has a limited number of scholarships. If they commit to you and then quit looking because you have said you are coming then you go some place else and commit to them they don't have any good options. If you don't tell them you are committing you can look and they can look. Once you make a promise thay are making a promise. Even though #1 says they can drop you that does not mean they will. Until the National Letter of Intent is signed and delivered there is really no binding commitment on either side.

There are lots of cases where kids commit get this type letter than tell the coach that they want to enjoy this once in a lifetime chance to visit other schools and get treated like a king for a day. If the coach really likes the kid and feels that the kid is telling the truth just because they visit doesn't mean they will pull the offer. The relationship that has developed on both sides will probably determine whether this clause is enforced or not.

I have 2 boys playing football in high school and another starting 7th grade this year. If they are fortunate to be recruited by college programs ( oldest one is getting attention now) I as a parent will tell them to enjoy the attention. Be humble, but make sure you take in all of the recruiting process. I mean the head coach of said university will have control over you for the 3/4/5 years that you play for them . They do not have the right to control you during your senior year as a high school student athlete. I would not want my son playing for a coach that takes this approach . You know the coach has not stopped watching highlight films of other kids that play the same position so why should you have to stop " window shopping"?

I have 2 boys playing football in high school and another starting 7th grade this year. If they are fortunate to be recruited by college programs ( oldest one is getting attention now) I as a parent will tell them to enjoy the attention. Be humble, but make sure you take in all of the recruiting process. I mean the head coach of said university will have control over you for the 3/4/5 years that you play for them . They do not have the right to control you during your senior year as a high school student athlete. I would not want my son playing for a coach that takes this approach . You know the coach has not stopped watching highlight films of other kids that play the same position so why should you have to stop " window shopping"?

How much money you gonna ask for?

How much money you gonna ask for?

I moved to Baldwin County with hopes that Danny Sheridan can introduce me to the infamous "bag man". lol

I don't follow it looks to me based on the photo that his offer at the very least is implied that it will be taken away or in jeopardy of being taken away if he communicates with other schools.

Maybe I missed something but hadn't he already given Texas a verbal before that letter was sent out ?

Yes. I think we are talking 2 seperate issues thoughcuz I am lost at what you are trying to get at.

The first sentence of the letter in the photo reads to me that he had already given Texas a verbal commitment before the letter was sent out.

The first sentence reads to me that he had already given Texas a verbal commitment before that letter was sent out.

Right which leads to my point that at the very least it is implied that if he communicates with other teams it puts his offer in jeopardy.

The first sentence reads to me that he had already given Texas a verbal commitment before that letter was sent out.

Right which leads to my point that at the very least it is implied that if he communicates with other teams it puts his offer in jeopardy.

Yah and ? That was a given, but he didn't have to commit, in which case the letter wouldn't apply and nothing would be "taken away" from him. It was his choice which is the point I was addressing. He can also choose to decommit right now and play the field all he wants.

Yah and ? That was a given, but he didn't have to commit, in which case the letter wouldn't apply and nothing would be "taken away" from him. It was his choice which is the point I was addressing. He can also choose to decommit right now and play the field all he wants.

Nobody said he had to. No point in speculating if he didn't.

Nobody said he had to. No point in speculating if he didn't.

Apparently there is a point when there is confusion between speculation and explanation. Y'all opined that something was taken from him. There was not. I explained why that is not the case. If he controls the situation with his own choices, he has had nothing taken away from him. Texas has it's choices on how they want to conduct business. He has his choices and I explained what they were.

At least they know what the rules/agreement is. If you don't want to abide by that agreement then ya better find a school that will let you run around.

Well exactly. The analogy would be verbally committing to go in the Marines but not yet signing the papers then claiming they are going to take away your long hair. If your hair is that important to you, don't verbally commit but if you already did, then just decommit. It's your choice.

At least they know what the rules/agreement is. If you don't want to abide by that agreement then ya better find a school that will let you run around.

That's right. It's a two way street. Player committed= school committed. Player not committed= well, you know. It's not rocket science. If a player and his family wants to enjoy the process and take all the visits, then by all means do so, just don't commit to a school and then go shopping. I will have no sympathy if a player commits, continues to shop for a better deal, and then gets his whittle bitty feelings hurt by said school when they pull the offer and move on. JMO.

That's right. It's a two way street. Player committed= school committed. Player not committed= well, you know. It's not rocket science. If a player and his family wants to enjoy the process and take all the visits, then by all means do so, just don't commit to a school and then go shopping. I will have no sympathy if a player commits, continues to shop for a better deal, and then gets his whittle bitty feelings hurt by said school when they pull the offer and move on. JMO.

And as I said....Are the coaches deleting emails they are getting from other WR in that same class as this young man? Are they not watching game film of other WR in the same class? They can claim to be 100% committed to this kid but you know they are still scouting other top WR. Example : This kid has zero stars on the Rivals profile I found for him.( will change the kid is a 6' 5'' WR) You think Mack Brown does not have scouts at the high school games of 4* and 5* WR's all over texas?If the kid has to 100% shut down all other contact with other programs/coaches then back up your word and stop recruiting other WRs in this class. And as far as a kid " don't committing if they want to enjoy the process" . Im willing to bet you the initial conversation went like " if you will commit NOW we will extend an offer. ". If you are 16 or 17 years old what would you do?

A kid commits to one school, the school has 25 or so schollys to fill. Obviously you keep recruiting more players. We will sometimes sign 4 or 5 recievers in a year. What's your point? You think we should just sign one player for every position? A school signing multiple players per position in no way equals a kid commiting to a school and then looking around at other schools if that was the analogy you were trying to use.

It isn't a fair system for the players. They are one of many in a her large pool. Very very few players a year can call their shots. The college has the upper hand. If a high school kid doesn't like the system then he can feel free to get himself an academic scholarship, pay his own way or choose not to go to college.

No one is forcing that young man to play by Texas' rules. He can do whatever he wants. He is not entitled to any athletic scholarship anywhere. If he does not like the parameters then he is free to do whatever the heck he wants to do.

He can quit football and go get a job ... Join the military ... Peace corp ... Clergy ... Whatever his dear heart desires. He isn't entitled to anything. Abide by the agreement laid out or go elsewhere (unless you are one of a handful of the super elite recruits)

It isn't a fair system for the players. They are one of many in a her large pool. Very very few players a year can call their shots. The college has the upper hand. If a high school kid doesn't like the system then he can feel free to get himself an academic scholarship, pay his own way or choose not to go to college.

No one is forcing that young man to play by Texas' rules. He can do whatever he wants. He is not entitled to any athletic scholarship anywhere. If he does not like the parameters then he is free to do whatever the heck he wants to do.

He can quit football and go get a job ... Join the military ... Peace corp ... Clergy ... Whatever his dear heart desires. He isn't entitled to anything. Abide by the agreement laid out or go elsewhere (unless you are one of a handful of the super elite recruits)

'Stache gets it.

My question in this deal is and I may have missed it would be; Was this explained to the recruit before he committed to Texas or was this explained after he committed. This letter was obviously sent after his commitment but what was explained beforehand. Just curious.

My question in this deal is and I may have missed it would be; Was this explained to the recruit before he committed to Texas or was this explained after he committed. This letter was obviously sent after his commitment but what was explained beforehand. Just curious.

Before. It's been a Mac Brown policy for at least a year now.

Archived