Bad Calls last night.

DKW 86

Cooper could not have fumbled because he never had possession which is defined as control, two feet on the ground and a football move (head bob, a step, shifting the ball from one arm to another, etc.). It was clearly an int.

Wesley Britt was Bama's leading tackler by the way. He had seven text book tackles on McClover.

OMG ! ! ! I wonder if the uaters will be as upset over this OBVIOUS cheating as they were last week when they got spanked by lsWHO?

:poke:

Exactly what is that ref looking at in your picture, David? He seems to be staring right at Britt's enormous posterior! Too bad he can't see the holding going on. :au: WDE

Guest Tigrinum Major
Also i had no idea that if the recieving team on a punt  was caught in a hold that the team punting got 10 yards AND the ball back.....    Section QQ couldn't figure out what the heck was happening...

124791[/snapback]

The rule states that if the holding occurs within three yards of the line of scrimmage, it is enforced as it happened before the kick. Therefore, it is enforced from the original line of scrimmage and the team retains possession if it is enough to give them the first down. That call didn't really hurt as we got the ball back 9 yards closer after we shut them down the next time.

It is one of those funky rules that rarely get called, kind of like the call against LSU on the extra point.

I am a high school basketball referee and understand that, most of the time, bad calls are going to even out over a ballgame/season. Overall, the crew in this game did a decent job.

Holding NEVER gets called anymore.

Bad spots are a part of the game and a VERY imperfect science. Too much human factor in it.

Possession/fumble - that was a very close one. I don't know the rule about feet down, but I don't think he was on the ground before he got the ball knocked out. Chalk that one up to good hustle by the defense. And while I am on the Coop issue, I have seen some people bust on him for a bad game. While he had some miscues, the only ones that I could even remotely say he was directly responsible for were the false starts. He also had a good catch or two. He is a good player who had some bad breaks this week. And from everything I have heard, he is a good kid with a good head on his shoulders. Besides, remember that we won the game and he has two weeks to get prepared for UT. Coop will be back.

War Eagle.

Archived