Lower-seamed baseball for 2015

This is per Jason Caldwell at ITAT.

The NCAA Baseball Committee passed legislation today to move to a lower-seamed baseball for the 2015 season. It will be similar to what minor league baseball uses now. Should allow for more carry while not changing the exit speed significantly off the bat. Very good move in my opinion. It was a unanimous vote.

Pitchers will hate this for two reasons:

1. The "lab" tests showed that batted balls carried on average 20 feet farther.

2. Flat seams = less drag = less bite on breaking balls.

This is an attempt to offset the offensive reduction caused by going to the BBCOR .50 bats.

I love the college game and am in favor of anything that positively affects offensive production short of going back to the BESR bats.

http://www.baseballa...-on-ball-seams/

I didn't really think about the additional carry, although 20 feet is significant. But I still think pitchers not having the bite on their breaking balls will have a bigger impact. I'm sure with a proliferation of HRs everyone will point to the additional carry though rather than more pitches being left over the plate because of less grip on the seams.

I like this move too.

By and large things had gotten where a 3 run lead in the 6th pretty much guaranteed a win....rarely saw a team come from two or three runs behind in the 9th....just took too many singles and doubles to do the job.

As for the pitchers, I sure don't mind seeing them have to work a little harder. Watching the pitchers tossing up their 75mph curve balls all day long just had no drama.

I like the move.....should add a little more excitement to the game. We all knew there was a happy medium between last season and the ball / bat combination used back in 2010 where no lead was big enough....hope this is it.

By and large things had gotten where a 3 run lead in the 6th pretty much guaranteed a win....rarely saw a team come from two or three runs behind in the 9th....just took too many singles and doubles to do the job.

As for the pitchers, I sure don't mind seeing them have to work a little harder. Watching the pitchers tossing up their 75mph curve balls all day long just had no drama.

I like the move.....should add a little more excitement to the game. We all knew there was a happy medium between last season and the ball / bat combination used back in 2010 where no lead was big enough....hope this is it.

The problem with pitchers having to work harder is that in trying to get the breaking pitches to work they will be torquing the elbow that much more. The only down side I see with this new regulation is we will see more pitchers having elbow problems.

The problem with pitchers having to work harder is that in trying to get the breaking pitches to work they will be torquing the elbow that much more. The only down side I see with this new regulation is we will see more pitchers having elbow problems.

Perhaps...but also perhaps they will quit making their curve ball their primary pitch......and develop their fast balls and change-ups. College is about the only place pitchers can get away with a bunch of junk as their main weapons. The teams that made it to Omaha did not live off "stuff" and I hope Golloway finds some guys like we faced from Vandy, LSU and the like...guys who can find the plate with a 93-95mph fast ball.

• 3 months later...

The problem is it isn't just the curve ball that will be effected. Lots of these guys have gone to more of a split finger or cutter which gives the movement without the strain on the elbow. Heck, some guys get by on wicked movement on their fastball. Its a shame that these pitches will lose much of their effectiveness. I guess they will all have to learn to throw it 95.

Archived