Coaching Strategy

juscAUse

I know I have orange and blue glasses on at all times and in all sports. Basketball was my favorite sport to play and is still my 2nd favorite sport to watch, and I consider myself somewhat knowledgeable on the subject. That being said, could someone enlighten me on just exactly what our basketball team is trying to accomplish offensively and on defense? I am serious about this. I know Barbee must have a plan, I just don't have a clue what it is. I'm sure he's forgotten more about the game than I know, so I figure I must be results oriented, and am missing the big picture. Any help will be.appreciated.

No, you are not missing the big picture. I don't think there is a big picture at this point actually- save trying to not get blown out- and Barbee is on this last leg. If there is a big picture plan going on, I hope its by JJ and involves who he is going to hire to get this ship headed in the right direction.

Defense is about effort and knowing where you are supposed to be. Teaching D is about energizing the players and teaching them where to be, how to rotate in a zone, how to communicate when to fight through a pick in man to man versus calling for a switch. Rebounding is about effort and desire.

Since Auburn can't play d and can't rebound that means bad effort and bad coaching. I am not even going to talk about the total lack of flow on offense.

Our team has no clue. We need a new coach, lets get rid of Barbee and let one of the assistants finish the year maybe one of them can coach. Then it is time to find a new coach.

I have never seen a Barbee team with a discernible offensive strategy. They don't try to establish anything. Maybe the strategy is "There is no strategy. If they can't plan for it, they can't stop it." I'm sure they have plays but they don't seem to stay in them very long.

Defensively, I think they try to wear teams down.... by allowing them to take all the uncontested three pointers they want.

I have never seen a Barbee team with a discernible offensive strategy. They don't try to establish anything. Maybe the strategy is "There is no strategy. If they can't plan for it, they can't stop it." I'm sure they have plays but they don't seem to stay in them very long.

Defensively, I think they try to wear teams down.... by allowing them to take all the uncontested three pointers they want.

Well, that didn't work. I saw some plays we ran last year after time outs that gave me hope. But they were few and far between. I see no commitment to the post, no movement (backscreens, weave, etc), and no lock down d and strong d rebounding to promote a fast break offense. I just don't get it.

He comes from Kentucky's Coach Calipari stable of coaches.

It is a dribble drive O which requires someone who can break down the D with penetration and either complete the play or dump to someone open and likely crashing the basket. Requires a lot of standing around and someone sharp enough to make the penetration and others who can make a shot. Works great at UK. But what would not work great with all that talent? We do not have the talent, nor the coaching to match what talent we have, nor have we had the ability to keep our players around long enough to allow some sort of meshing of talent.

Time to go!

So Calipari has mesmerized the basketball world as Saban has the football world. Play MY game and I win every time. But if you don't, you'll never get your players to the pros. Unbelievable. And Chizik and Muschamp and Barbi and countless others fall for it? I'm not sure if my theory is correct, but....

I'm not gonna lie. I have always been a bit uncomfortable that Barbee is a disciple of John Calipari. I have always thought "Cal" was as crooked as a dog's hind leg, even though he has always avoided direct implication in the scandals at UMass and Memphis. But Calipari can both recruit and coach. Barbee can do neither. As a reformed season ticket holder, if Barbee is there, I am not.

Archived