Way-too-early 2014 schedule predictions?

AUwent

There's no reason to think we can't win every game on that schedule.

We certainly have the talent to win them all, but running the table usually takes a little luck along the way. I can see AU at 15-0 if the stars align, or 10-3 if we suffer some key injuries and things don't bounce our way. My rosy prediction: 14-1 and another NC.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't begin to make any type of projection at this point. We should be good with all the people we have coming back but we had a bunch of breaks go our way last year until the last game, then they went the other way. Remember, this time last year most of us would have been happy with 8-5 or 9-4.

Yes, it's just late January, but that's the thing, isn't it? It's late January, and I don't know about you, but I need to talk about next year.

8/30 Arky W

9/6 SJSU W

9/20 @ KSU W

9/27 La Tech W

10/4 LSU W

10/11 @ MSU Tossup, really not sure

10/25 USCe W

11/1 @ Ole Miss W

11/8 TAMU Tossup, really not sure

11/15 @ Ga L

11/22 Samford W

11/29 @ Turds L

The team itself should actually be better, but our schedule is MUCH tougher than last year. I see 8-10 wins, and then a bowl victory.

Pretty conservative given the season we just had and what we have returning. I don't expect MSU to be easy, but I would hardly say it's a toss up. How many times have we thought MSU was finally going to be good and then they were just the same ole MSU? TAMU is losing Manziel and while they have a lot of talent, I think they are at least a year away. I also think Sumlin is highly overrated as an X's and O's coach. I'm not sure why everyone is so high on UGA. They are losing Murray and their replacement looked pretty bad in their bowl game. Perhaps they figure it out, but I think being undefeated going into the Iron Bowl is pretty realistic. Anything can happen, but IMO an 8-9 win season would be a bit of a disappointment.

Every game on our schedule is winnable for us. And yet we could lose 4 or 5. I'm more focused on certain factors for our team, namely:

Special Teams. We will have big play threats at both returner positions, with Corey Grant as perhaps the lead kickoff returner. I expect the new kicker and punter to be solid, but the toughest spot to fill on special teams will be a punter who can drop so many kicks inside the 10.

Secondary. The return of Holsey from injury and the potential move of Therezie to safety will help with filling starting positions. I'm very curious to see how Trovon Reed adjusts. I think he has the potential to be a solid starting corner if he works hard in the spring and summer. This is the defensive unit where I expect the most improvement.

Linebackers. No more Holland scapegoating. Year 2 for CEJ with some young depth on board. Spring

and summer will be huge, namely in the LBs improving chemistry and pass coverage responsibilities. If Therezie moves to safety, look to Justin Garrett to be the starter at Star, remembering that Garrett was the best defensive player in Spring practice last year.

Defensive Line. Ford leaves big shoes to fill, but Lawson will contend for first team All SEC. I look to Daniel to develop into a bigger threat on pass rush situations. To what extent will Adams improve in the middle, and how much of an impact will Whitaker make returning from his injury? I expect Wright to lead in the middle.

Offensive Line. I expect a healthy battle for Left Tackle, and for the Offensive Line to be the best unit on the team. Our O-Line will give us a chance to win every game this year, and barring injury, has no real weaknesses.

Running Back. Whether Roc starts or plays a good role off the bench, CAP is ready to be an every down back, and Corey Grant has the strength to be more than just the jet sweep guy. Will Barber be the running back or H-back? He could play either, but I expect him to be the workhorse along with Roc in 2015. I expect Ford to inherit Grant's speed role after a year as well. No back will match Tre next year, but we may see three backs break 800 yards.

Receiver/End. Duke Williams is the story here, and he and Coates on the outside will open the middle for Uzomah and our smaller receivers. This will be the most improved offensive unit.

Quarterback. Marshall 2.0 will be even better, and Johnson is a very capable understudy who may receive more playing time in easier games to keep Marshall fresh for tougher games.

Coaching. The entire staff returns. Year Two allows for more development, and better chemistry among the staff. Gus will learn from last year's mistakes. I expect a more balanced offense, and fewer games decided in the last five minutes.

Intangibles. This team needs to continue to play with a chip on its shoulder. Part of that comes from new leaders emerging to replace Ford and Prosch. The return of Marshall and Dismukes is huge. We need new leaders to emerge on defense as well.

Moving past my rambling, I see UAT and LSU as toss-ups due to their talented rosters and experienced staffs. I expect little trouble in most other games, but don't underestimate Spurrier as a coach, or the talent of Georgia as they rise from the ashes of injury. This should be a 10-2 to 12-0 season, depending on injury avoidance.

Undefeated and crowned National Champions! What happened to the pre-season game with University of Louisville?

Yes, it's just late January, but that's the thing, isn't it? It's late January, and I don't know about you, but I need to talk about next year.

8/30 Arky W

9/6 SJSU W

9/20 @ KSU W

9/27 La Tech W

10/4 LSU W

10/25 USCe W

11/1 @ Ole Miss W

11/15 @ Ga L

11/22 Samford W

11/29 @ Turds L

The team itself should actually be better, but our schedule is MUCH tougher than last year. I see 8-10 wins, and then a bowl victory.

Pretty conservative given the season we just had and what we have returning. I don't expect MSU to be easy, but I would hardly say it's a toss up. How many times have we thought MSU was finally going to be good and then they were just the same ole MSU? TAMU is losing Manziel and while they have a lot of talent, I think they are at least a year away. I also think Sumlin is highly overrated as an X's and O's coach. I'm not sure why everyone is so high on UGA. They are losing Murray and their replacement looked pretty bad in their bowl game. Perhaps they figure it out, but I think being undefeated going into the Iron Bowl is pretty realistic. Anything can happen, but IMO an 8-9 win season would be a bit of a disappointment.

On the same hand, how many times have we almost lost to MSU? They start the season off with alot more power than they end, usually. Also, this seems to be Mullen's last chance, and it's safe to say Prescott is their best QB in a WHILE. This is gonna be an interesting game

8/30 Arky W

9/6 SJSU W

9/20 @ KSU W

9/27 La Tech W

10/4 LSU W

10/25 USCe W

11/1 @ Ole Miss W

11/15 @ Ga L

11/22 Samford W

11/29 @ Turds L

On the same hand, how many times have we almost lost to MSU? They start the season off with alot more power than they end, usually. Also, this seems to be Mullen's last chance, and it's safe to say Prescott is their best QB in a WHILE. This is gonna be an interesting game

Well I conceded it won't be easy, but we are still the better team and better coached team on paper. It has trap game written all over it, because it is right after LSU and the week before a Bye, but if this team is going to live up the expectations games like MSU are ones that shouldn't be a toss up.

It is the SEC and you cannot just waltz into games and beat teams on talent like you can in the ACC or Big 10, but I have a lot of faith in Gus and this coaching staff, and the collective chip on the shoulder this team will have after the way 2013-14 ended.

It is VERY early to be breaking down games, but the only game on the schedule I see where we shouldn't be definitive favorites heading into the season is Bama. If it were at the beginning of the season I think we'd be favorites, because while Bama has a lot of talent they also have a lot of question marks. QB situation? New offense? Can Saban adjust to the up-tempo game on both sides of the ball? But, by the end of the year Bama will have had the chance to figure these things out.

My only prediction is that the Iron Bowl will have everything at stake again.

My prediction for 2013 was 7-5 so I'm sticking with that. Worked pretty well this year.

Same here. I predicted 7-5, so this year I'll say 5-7 hoping the two less predicted wins will end up in two more actual wins than '13 :D

15-0 National Champs

Final Four:Auburn,Oklahoma,Florida St, Ohio St

Arkansas- Very easy win, their back to Arkansas after Petrino left them

San Jose St- David Fales gone easy win

Kansas St- gives us test for first off since its a road game we pull away in 2nd half

La Tech- we're lackluster with LSU looming but win

LSU- team is gutted gone is Mettenberger,Hill,Landry,Beckham,Johnson,Ferguson at home we dominate and get revenge

Miss St- Prescott keeps them in it we hold on like usual with them

S Carolina- All they return is their rb the rest of their talent from last year is gone easy win, S Car takes a rebuild year.

Ole Miss- this game is for the west title we survive a thriller

Tex A & M- No Johnny,Mike, Jake and the defense doesnt exist with their head coach anywhere he's been easy win

Georgia- reverse prob from last year gutted offense will win a low scoring nail biter

Samford- back up time

Alabama- I think Bama takes step back but its still a ball game but we win

Florida- SEC title game they return with a vengence but we crush them

Ohio St- 1st round playoff- destroy them

Oklahoma -National Title- Back and forth we prevail by late td

SEC West: Florida/Missouri/Georgia/Tennessee/South Carolina/Kentucky/Vanderbilt

SEC East: Auburn/Ole Miss/Alabama/LSU/Miss St/Texas A & M/Arkansas

My Pre Season Top 10:

1.Auburn

2.Oklahoma

3.Florida St

4.Ohio St

5.Florida

6.Ole Miss

7.Missouri

8.UCLA

9.Stanford

10.Alabama ( back to back 2 lose seasons Ole Miss and Aub will beat them)

Orgeon will start to suck without Chip Kelly their.

I think the current system for playoffs is a bad idea. Because two teams will have to go to two bowl games, imagine how bad the attendance will be. I think they should've done it similar to the BCS, rotating between the six sites and having them play host to the semi finals as well as the NC. Have them three back to back nights. This way the fans only have to travel to one place. That way, every six years, one of each of the venues (Cotton, CFA, Fiesta, Sugar, Orange, Rose) gets a HUGE amount of fans coming in at the same time, which will greatly help each area's economy. For the other 5 games, have them in their current roles as games for at-large teams that didn't make it. At least that's the way I see it.

We were picked 5th or above in most preseason polls. This was before we got all the help from NSD. I see us running the table to the playoffs.

15-0 National Champs

Final Four:Auburn,Oklahoma,Florida St, Ohio St

Arkansas- Very easy win, their back to Arkansas after Petrino left them

San Jose St- David Fales gone easy win

Kansas St- gives us test for first off since its a road game we pull away in 2nd half

La Tech- we're lackluster with LSU looming but win

LSU- team is gutted gone is Mettenberger,Hill,Landry,Beckham,Johnson,Ferguson at home we dominate and get revenge

Miss St- Prescott keeps them in it we hold on like usual with them

S Carolina- All they return is their rb the rest of their talent from last year is gone easy win, S Car takes a rebuild year.

Ole Miss- this game is for the west title we survive a thriller

Tex A & M- No Johnny,Mike, Jake and the defense doesnt exist with their head coach anywhere he's been easy win

Georgia- reverse prob from last year gutted offense will win a low scoring nail biter

Samford- back up time

Alabama- I think Bama takes step back but its still a ball game but we win

Florida- SEC title game they return with a vengence but we crush them

Ohio St- 1st round playoff- destroy them

Oklahoma -National Title- Back and forth we prevail by late td

SEC West: Florida/Missouri/Georgia/Tennessee/South Carolina/Kentucky/Vanderbilt

SEC East: Auburn/Ole Miss/Alabama/LSU/Miss St/Texas A & M/Arkansas

My Pre Season Top 10:

1.Auburn

2.Oklahoma

3.Florida St

4.Ohio St

5.Florida

6.Ole Miss

7.Missouri

8.UCLA

9.Stanford

10.Alabama ( back to back 2 lose seasons Ole Miss and Aub will beat them)

Orgeon will start to suck without Chip Kelly their.

Nothing is ever a guarantee, but I see no way at all that Florida even has a winning record in 2014 much less wins the division. They have ZERO talent on offense and no leadership on the coaching staff. Muschamp is in way over his head and it could be his last year in gainesville. I don't see Ole Miss challenging for a division title any time soon either. Auburn, uat, and lsu all still have way more talent (and better coaching) than ole miss. 7-8 wins max for ole miss, IMO (and a losing SEC record...AGAIN). They will be battling Mississippi State and Arkansas for the order of the bottom 3 in the division, IMO.

That may be your preseason top 10, but its not even remotely close to reality.

It's truly become an unpredictable sport. Predictions are for the media to fool everyone that they actually know what the heck they are doing when 90% of them spent their young years learning to write and never learned what they were writing about. Coaches learn and coaches scout. A year makes a big difference at the college level.

I see wins vs MS ST, TaM, UGA, & UAT. TaM, UGA, & UAT will all have new QBs as starters. Our D will be improved. I see no reason why we will not be back in ATL for the SECCG. Anything less will be a disappointment.

Archived