Michael Sams coming out party

JMassie11

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thread is so ******* gay and not because of the guy that came out or the closet.

This thread is so ******* gay and not because of the guy that came out or the closet.

You know, this illustrates exactly why this thread was a great discussion.

News flash: Until people stop using "gay" as an epithet to insinuate something is lesser, stories like Michael Sam's will continue to be important and newsworthy.

I don't have the patience to read all 254 posts in this topic, but I have read enough to get the gist.

Personally, I don't care about anyone else's sexuality. What Michael Sam, or you, or anyone else do in your bedroom (or wherever you choose to do it) is none of my concern. It does bother me when people insist on making an issue of it. Just shut up and play football.

I am a conservative Christian, and I believe the Bible teaches both homosexuality and heterosexual fornication are sinful (along with gossip, gluttony, and other "acceptable" behaviors). I have little patience with fellow believers who rail against one and tolerate the other.

As for those who think it was courageous of Mr. Sam to come out of the closet, this is 2014, not 1990. It takes more courage to publicly oppose homosexuality than to support it. Consider the obscure, religiously themed blog of a Mormon mother. She dared criticize Disney's Frozen for its support of homosexuality, and rather than ignoring her as the fringe voice that she is, the LGBT community publicized it, resulting in an orchestrated a hate campaign to intimidate her and anyone else who might be inclined to similarly speak out. So much for an open, civil discussion.

For those that missed it: http://bleacherrepor...rview?hpt=hp_t2

I, for one, appreciate what he did very much. Agree or not with it, that takes some serious stones. If anyone's got a problem with him and his sexuality, I would daresay that he's a bigger man than they are.

The problem is sin; that of course God warns us about over and over. Whether it is heterosexual sin or homosexual sin, it of course, is not good for us. God loves us enough to tell us to try and avoid these sins in our lives.

It's a sin to be homosexual?

My little brother has served a tour in Iraq and a tour in Afghanistan.

Please pass a message to your brother - my family and I sincerely appreciate his service to our country. We cherish our freedom and consider him the hero.

Football is a game, no matter how much they pay 'em. Sams being openly gay just tells me he enjoys sodomy. Again, not my idea of heroism.

What a dumb ass ignorant post this is.

It takes a lot of guts to be yourself when so many religious wackos will condemn you for it. And I say that, because its only the religious wackos who are bothered by it.

Please pass a message to your brother - my family and I sincerely appreciate his service to our country. We cherish our freedom and consider him the hero.

Football is a game, no matter how much they pay 'em. Sams being openly gay just tells me he enjoys sodomy. Again, not my idea of heroism.

I will pass the message along to my brother.

I'm sorry you fail to see the heroism in Mr. Sam's statements. Standing up for a segment of our citizenry that continues to fight for equality is heroic, especially in an overly masculine environment like professional football. I eagerly await the day that an announcement like this isn't necessary or newsworthy, unfortunately that won't be the case until people can see beyond their own bigotry.

I would love to know how standing for the truth of God's word is considered bigotry? Romans 1:26-32 not only condemns the sin of homosexuality but those that have pleasure in their unrighteousness. To sit back, tolerate, or condone the sin of homosexuality is something that New Testament Christians are commanded against. That's why we stand opposed to these people today. And this has nothing to do with my personal feelings. I have no feelings of hatred, fear, or predjudice against these people. I'm simply standing up for how God feels about this subject.

In other words, you are a religious wacko.

The commentary on this thread with regard to God, The Bible, sin, judgement et. al. would be laughable if not so sad.

Those who see the Word as Truth do not kid themselves with regard to perfection. That world view is that we are all broken (sinful/selfish), and that God loves us so much, He made a way out.

As they say in those terrible churches "you have to realize you're lost before you know you need to be found."

I know how lost I was, I am chief among sinners. I do not dislike or hate Michael Sams. I do believe that his choice of homosexuality will not bring him contentment, just like my wife (heterosexuality) will never be the source of my contentment (and I married an awesome Auburn girl!).

Well, you are not only a sinner, you are an ignorant one. One doesn't "choose" to be homosexual anymore than they "choose" to be heterosexual.

I will pass the message along to my brother.

I'm sorry you fail to see the heroism in Mr. Sam's statements. Standing up for a segment of our citizenry that continues to fight for equality is heroic, especially in an overly masculine environment like professional football. I eagerly await the day that an announcement like this isn't necessary or newsworthy, unfortunately that won't be the case until people can see beyond their own bigotry.

I would love to know how standing for the truth of God's word is considered bigotry? Romans 1:26-32 not only condemns the sin of homosexuality but those that have pleasure in their unrighteousness. To sit back, tolerate, or condone the sin of homosexuality is something that New Testament Christians are commanded against. That's why we stand opposed to these people today. And this has nothing to do with my personal feelings. I have no feelings of hatred, fear, or predjudice against these people. I'm simply standing up for how God feels about this subject.

We don't live in a theocracy

And yet the currency you use still says "In God We Trust". The founding fathers founded this nation, it's laws, and it's constitution based on the principles of the Bible. The separation of Church and State were only intended to to prevent one denomination from dictating what everyone was to believe and worship. It was never intended to remove God from our society.

All that proves is that a majority can override the Constitution in this country.

Its a funny thing when something happens in sports that makes us reflect on society in general. As far are Sams coming out, all I got to say is that it was only a matter of time before it happened and he won't be the last. Now that he has come out it will be a little less of a big deal with the next one and overtime it won;t be news at all and that will be a good day! I am surprised that it is a rookie is the first to do it. I mean that took some serious guts right there. Dude is taking a major financial risk by coming out this close to the draft just to stand up and this is who I am and I am not going to hide it. I don't care what kind of prejudice you harbor, if you can't recognize the bravery it takes to stand up in a crowded room and say I am different then you've never been in a life situation where you were the one who was different. To that I say people need to get out of their comfort zones a little bit!!

As for the religious aspect of this....I am a Christian and I do not understand how a man can be attracted to another man. But judging by what I have read of this Jesus guy I imagine if he was here today and confronted by a gay guy he would probably hug him around the neck, tell him he loves him, and then he would pray for that guy. I'm not so sure he would take this condemning stance that most Christians today do. IMO God gave every man the right to choose right from wrong, so it always amazes me when I see Christians trying to take away mans God given right. Whether that be trying to make abortion illegal or ban gay marriage or what have you. You councel your brother, you love your brother, and you pray for your brother. But you do not condemn your brother as that right is reserved for the creator of your brother.

Well stated. Lots of Pharisees around here.

There are few things that I'm more passionate about than Auburn football, but the Bible is definitely one of those things. I'm clearly not going to agree with everyone on this thread about their views on homosexuality and Christianity. I understand that. And I agree that what Michael Sam does is his business. And yes, God will ultimately be the judge of his eternal destiny.

**Side note** I will add that I still believe that God has already judged certainly lifestyles and actions in the Bible.

But where I take issue is when someone disagrees with a certain lifestyle, they are immediately accused of hatred and bigotry. That is a blatant attempt to shut up the conservative, right wing society. Yes, we live in a free country today. That also means that if you have the right to support this man for his decision then I have just as much right to disagree with this man's decision. And I believe that we can have those discussions in a respectful manner without the name calling.

Now getting back to football, I too believe that the SECCG should and will have more to do with this man's draft stock than his announcement. He was completely neutralized by our OL and running game. I for one expected him to give us more trouble in that game.

Cam, how do YOU define bigotry? I didn't bring the topic up, someone else did. I just provided the definitions.

I want one of you to explain the difference between your feelings towards homosexuality and someone's feelings 40 years ago about interracial dating.

Very simple. People's views and opinions about interracial dating are not based on the Word of God. There is no where in the Bible that says that a white man can't marry a black, Hispanic, or Asian woman and vice versa. This is a cultural issue and not a Biblical issue.....

Actually the bible was used to justify slavery, regardless of what it actually says on the matter.

Guys I don't agree with that but that's my opinion . But that's what makes America great. Its his choice to be gay and its my choice to love my wife. We all have a choice

You are wrong. You are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Lets not veer off now. My question has to do with bigotry, not homosexuality. The definition of bigotry. Nothing more. I never compared anyone to anything.

Being against an activity that victimizes someone is hardly the same as bigotry.

I am going to ask a question that disgusts me to ask, but I will do it anyway. And be honest with your answer. This is a yes or no question, not one to dance around. And this is in no way calling gay people pedophiles, it is an honest question.

If a grown man were to have a sexual relationship with a willing 10 year old boy, would you consider it inappropriate if the law allowed it?

If a grown man(or woman) were to have a sexual relationship with a child (10 year old boy or girl), it would be very inappropriate. A child of that age doesn't have the mental acuity to enter into such a relationship "willingly".

There are those among us,nambla comes to mind first, that say it is OK. I remember reading about some psychologist or somebody like that. This individual not only said it was OK he said it was good and healthy.

Sorry, but that is patently absurd. A 10 year old child in a sexual relationship is being abused...regardless of sexual orientation.

I agree completely. I am only saying that that push to normalize it is starting and will keep going. They will not give up. I do not know when it will happen but eventually the Democratic party will embrace this idea.

You can't be serious. Surely this is sarcasm?

I read a caption from ESPN that called this young man a " role model " .

I guess they meant to say " homosexual role model " .

Man on Man sex is an unnatural ... perverted act ... period .

I don't think homosexuals should be persecuted , but they should

not be celebrated either .

So labeling gays as unnatural perverts doesn't count as persecution?

"Persecution is the systematic mistreatment of an individual or group by another individual or group."

First off , you will not hijack the word gay to describe the unnatural perverted act of homosexuality with me .

To call a soldier a soldier is simply a statement of fact . To call a murderer a murderer is simply a statement

of fact . To say fire is hot is simply a statement of fact ....... it is not persecution or mistreatment of the fire .

If your looking to bandy words with me on this subject your wasting your time .

Man on Man sex is an unnatural and perverted act . You may argue to the counter if you so choose .

...not sure how anything that exists in nature, that has existed in nature for at least all of written history, and will probably always exist as long as our species exists can be labeled "unnatural".

"Perversion", of course, is in the eye of the beholder, so while I disagree, I'll concede that someone might choose to use that term according to their beliefs.

Unnatural .... as in " contrary to nature , abnormal " . Men inserting their penis into the excretory opening , through

which fecal matter is expelled , of other men is abnormal and contrary to the nature of the species .

LOL!! You don't have a clue, do you?

You know, I was totally waiting for 29 pages for you to come in, Homer. :)/> I was surprised you stayed out of the fray so long.

You should join us down in the politics forum more often, Auctoritas. I actually just started a topic about our legislature here in Alabama passing a bill concerning the Commandments.

You know, I was totally waiting for 29 pages for you to come in, Homer. :)/> I was surprised you stayed out of the fray so long.

You should join us down in the politics forum more often, Auctoritas. I actually just started a topic about our legislature here in Alabama passing a bill concerning the Commandments.

Now that you mention it, this thread would be far more appropriate in the politics forum. I doubt there have been 100 words about football in the entire thread.

You know, I was totally waiting for 29 pages for you to come in, Homer. :) I was surprised you stayed out of the fray so long.

Just got back from Bham (actually, Leeds/Irondale) from my uncle's funeral.

By the way, I read your story and you are my hero. Considering your position in a small town that was a courageous thing to do. Your age makes it even more impressive. Not to play on the irony, but my Jewish friends would call you a "Mensch" for doing so.

The most I have ever done to publicly "stick my neck out" was a letter to the paper in response to a comment made by the president of the Southern Baptist Convention. They had published an interview in which he characterized people who opposed the teaching of alternatives to Evolution Theory as being "Anti-Christian".

That's trivial compared to your action.

Lets not veer off now. My question has to do with bigotry, not homosexuality. The definition of bigotry. Nothing more. I never compared anyone too anything.

Being against an activity that victimizes someone is hardly the same as bigotry.

Hopefully this will stay civil, most of these posts that I have read are so inaccurate biblically, it saddens me. Bigotry is defined as:

big·ot·ry /ˈbigətrē/

intolerance toward those who hold different opinions from oneself.

So bigotry is based on your beliefs. If you believe that a man having a relationship with an 11 year old (and believe me, this grosses me out to even use this example) , is wrong because it victimizes a child, you are bigoted toward the man. The definition of bigotry shows that. We are ALL bigots in some way.

Lets not veer off now. My question has to do with bigotry, not homosexuality. The definition of bigotry. Nothing more. I never compared anyone too anything.

Hopefully this will stay civil, most of these posts that I have read are so inaccurate biblically, it saddens me. Bigotry is defined as:

big·ot·ry /ˈbigətrē/

So bigotry is based on your beliefs. If you believe that a man having a relationship with an 11 year old (and believe me, this grosses me out to even use this example) , is wrong because it victimizes a child, you are bigoted toward the man. The definition of bigotry shows that. We are ALL bigots in some way.

True

big·ot·ry /ˈbigətrē/

Polygamy probably would have been a better example, Weegs. Much more morally ambiguous.

Maybe so, but to say that my example isn't valid, and to disagree that being opposed to the man in my example isn't bigotry, is to admit that bigotry has an alternate definition dependant on interpretation. Calling someone a bigot is hypocritical anyway you slice it.

I think you are purposefully widening the definition to prove your point and to muddy the distinction between intolerance and dislike. The full definition is: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance.

Saying you don't like that someone is a pedophile is not bigotry. The distinction comes whether or not you join a lynch mob to take care of it. Likewise disagreeing with someone's opinions doesn't make you a bigot. It becomes bigotry when you believe they are lesser human beings for having that opinion.

Edit: Merriam-Webster was the definition source. http://www.merriam-w...ictionary/bigot

Archived