Gasoline To The Fire?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How does saying that stuff in public help the team? That's the issue here. It's one thing to address the problems internally. It's quite another to embarrass Auburn in the media.

We already have Charles Barkley. We don't need anyone else.

The word at the games last week-end was that the 5 left at home was due to academics. He wants all his players to get their degrees. It is about time we had a coach that actually cared about the players and their futures.

How does saying that stuff in public help the team? That's the issue here. It's one thing to address the problems internally. It's quite another to embarrass Auburn in the media.

He's not embarrassing Auburn. He's being "real". This team needs to toughen up and he's the guy to do it. Just my .02.

I hate his public comments...and I see it as a classless, face-saving effort on his part at Auburn's expense. He should just shut up about some things. It may all be true but the world does not need to hear that from him. It sure won't help him recruit in the SEC if he keeps leaving that image of AU out there.

I'm not impressed with his personality or his methods. He makes me uneasy.

His negative public comments are totally inappropriate and without class. If there is dirty laundry, it should not be washed in public. I don't care to have him demean my school or it's players in the press.

I hate his public comments...and I see it as a classless, face-saving effort on his part at Auburn's expense. He should just shut up about some things. It may all be true but the world does not need to hear that from him. It sure won't help him recruit in the SEC if he keeps leaving that image of AU out there.

I'm not impressed with his personality or his methods. He makes me uneasy.

His negative public comments are totally inappropriate and without class. If there is dirty laundry, it should not be washed in public. I don't care to have him demean my school or it's players in the press.

From what I read, he didn't attack AU but the culture that preceded his arrival. If you want status qua, then why make a coaching change.

He did say that he had changed the way he had been doing business and he was returning to what has worked for him. I think that bodes well for him and why AU hired him.

"If the baby's ugly, call it ugly!"

He's not embarrassing Auburn. He's being "real". This team needs to toughen up and he's the guy to do it. Just my .02.

He does not need to be "real" about Auburn or the team in public. That is the subject at hand. He can be as "real" as he wants to be in private. And he can be tough on private if that's the way he thinks these kids will respond. Personally this team looks like they aren't having much fun, so I'm not sure how effective his approach really is. The personality of the team may not mesh well with what he has in mind THIS SEASON. The seniors don't seem to be all that happy with him either. If he can keep his mouth shut a little he may get some great recruits. I wonder if he has a clue how rough that is in the SEC.

Being tough with a team does not give a coach the right to demean college kids in public. And that has really not been Auburn's style.

And that has really not been Auburn's style.

You know the definition of insanity right? I'd like a different result than what we've seen from the last three coaching regimes.

There are videos all over the internet of Augie Garrido if you want to see a tough college baseball coach. With FIVE national championships.

It's ironic that you reference how rough it is in the SEC, knock the Big XII, and then infer that the coach should be softer with his players.

I spoke with one of the freshman middle infielder's father a couple of weeks ago and he said they like the atmosphere surrounding this team.

If you want to see a team that the players didn't enjoy playing on, look at some tape of Auburn over the past five years. From what reports I got from actual players, they hated playing for Pawloski.

And that has really not been Auburn's style.

You know the definition of insanity right? I'd like a different result than what we've seen from the last three coaching regimes.

There are videos all over the internet of Augie Garrido if you want to see a tough college baseball coach. With FIVE national championships.

It's ironic that you reference how rough it is in the SEC, knock the Big XII, and then infer that the coach should be softer with his players.

I spoke with one of the freshman middle infielder's father a couple of weeks ago and he said they like the atmosphere surrounding this team.

I may have missed that post as i didn't see any inference from Belle the coach should be soft on the players. I did see where she disliked how Golloway handles internal issues publicly.

I may have missed that post as i didn't see any inference from Belle the coach should be soft on the players. I did see where she disliked how Golloway handles internal issues publicly.

Let me point it out....

And he can be tough n private if that's the way he thinks these kids will respond... I'm not sure how effective his approach really is.

Would you prefer "tender" as the contrast to "tough"?

That's an inference in my book.

If you want to see a team that the players didn't enjoy playing on, look at some tape of Auburn over the past five years. From what reports I got from actual players, they hated playing for Pawloski.

I was not comparing coaches. I am making an observation about this team from what I have seen THIS SEASON.

Let me point it out....

And he can be tough n private if that's the way he thinks these kids will respond... I'm not sure how effective his approach really is.

Would you prefer "tender" as the contrast to "tough"?

That's an inference in my book.

Context and reading comprehension are obviously not in your book. There was no inference at all. That's all in your head. In fact, I said it pretty clearly but I will simplify for you since you're having trouble. Before you point something out from a post, you should be sure you actually understand the sentence, and what the subject actually is that's under discussion.

Publicly humiliating your players and the coach saying he was mislead by his employer is not "tough coaching" and it will have the OPPOSITE effect on a team. It's bad Public Relations, it hurts morale, and it will hurt recruiting in the long run if it continues. IT LOOKS AND SOUNDS BAD TO OTHER PEOPLE.

I also said he can be as tough as he wants IN PRIVATE. I said his public criticism of these players and their school may have the opposite effect of what he wants to get by saying those things in interviews.

Don't twist my words or use any part of my posts out of context again. You can be respectful even if you disagree.

So, tender in public and tough in private?

Pretty sure that wouldn't carry much credibility either.

I can assure you Jay Jacobs got exactly what he thought he was getting.

And give up the whining about how it's going to hurt recruiting. Our previous coach, who was the ultimate tender heart, was a master at getting outstanding classes and not getting the main cogs on campus. The mess that's currently being cleaned up (er, run off) is the result of all that tenderness.

I listened to Golloway's pre-game radio talk today. He was very complimentary of the players. Admittedly, this interview wasn't after a tough loss so it may have come out differently.

Yeah, laying that off on whoever was in the 3rd base coaching box is beyond lame. Any high school coach can do very well there, it's the players that have to be educated and the news media is not the place to educate them.

Are our guys running through stop signs on the bases? I don't follow baseball that closely, but when I played the coach determined stop or go. Is it different in college?

I have mainly followed the team on this forum, but I liked the article that started this thread. We have obviously had major issues in the baseball program for a while. We need a culture change and we're getting it.

People calling for his head now sound like flipping idiots. Maybe he is too vocal about some things? If so, he'll figure it out, I'll bet.

He does not need to be "real" about Auburn or the team in public. That is the subject at hand. He can be as "real" as he wants to be in private. And he can be tough on private if that's the way he thinks these kids will respond. Personally this team looks like they aren't having much fun, so I'm not sure how effective his approach really is. The personality of the team may not mesh well with what he has in mind THIS SEASON. The seniors don't seem to be all that happy with him either. If he can keep his mouth shut a little he may get some great recruits. I wonder if he has a clue how rough that is in the SEC.

Being tough with a team does not give a coach the right to demean college kids in public. And that has really not been Auburn's style.

Well, they are fighting pretty hard to win games since that comment he made. Two SEC wins, two SEC loses by 1 run v/s a top 10 program, and a mid week win over a team that has beaten Auburn in the past on a pretty regular basis. I stand by what I said. Sometimes a man needs to be called out to get his attention. These young men may have needed just that.

Well, they are fighting pretty hard to win games since that comment he made. Two SEC wins, two SEC loses by 1 run v/s a top 10 program, and a mid week win over a team that has beaten Auburn in the past on a pretty regular basis. I stand by what I said. Sometimes a man needs to be called out to get his attention. These young men may have needed just that.

There's absolutely no proof that making embarrassing remarks in public resulted in a better performance. It's ridiculous to attribute any improvement to that. What may have helped is CSG doing some coaching on weak spots and practicing a little harder.

AU just lost Game 2 to Arky anyway. Same old,same old...2 runners caught stealing,runners left stranded,and the bull pen struggling.

There's absolutely no proof that making embarrassing remarks in public resulted in a better performance. It's ridiculous to attribute any improvement to that. What may have helped is CSG doing some coaching on weak spots and practicing a little harder.

AU just lost Game 2 to Arky anyway. Same old,same old...2 runners caught stealing,runners left stranded,and the bull pen struggling.

Agree....we only got 5 hits....not many when it usually takes about 2 or 3 just score a single run. I don't think it's a matter of effort with this team...guys seem to be working hard and CSG busting their chops after a game probably does nothing to spur them on...but on the other hand, working on game fundamentals and the base coaches making better decisions should do some good.

But...don't know that there is anything much to be done about the bull pen...not like the Bigs where you can go out and buy a couple guys or bring someone up from the minors to help a team make it to the playoffs. AU is stuck with what it has and, JMO, but it is unlikely that anyone is going to discover some magic this late in the season.

Baseball is a streaky game so sooner or later things will bust loose if the team keeps working at it. The hitters will start putting the balls in the right place at the right time, and runs will score. That will only help out the bull pen. Coming into these tight games day after day is so hard on relievers mentally. They know they have no margin for error when a team's not scoring runs.

Archived