Gasoline To The Fire?

Yep, Golloway is definitely trying to fuel his team's fire to succeed.

This from Aaron Lake's piece in the OA News on Thursday heading in to the weekend series with Arkansas:

“It was big (to get the bats going on Tuesday),” Austin said. “There’s no panic over here. … It’s fun to be with the guys (on the road). Arkansas, we always play well. We like to say we’re road warriors — there’s no panic over here — and everybody knows that.” Golloway echoed the sentiments of his catcher and praised Austin’s role in helping the younger guys understand how to approach the game while tempering expectations for this weekend’s series. “This is a tough bunch,” Golloway said. “I think our young guys are going to be some tough cookies down the road. They’re a special group. Then you have guys like Blake Austin who is tough as nails to help teach the guys.”

So a senior who says he's having fun, Coach Golloway gushing about the senior leading the younger guys well, and a series win on the road against the #24 team in the country. Happy, happy, happy :Sing:

http://www.oanow.com...1a4bcf6878.html

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh yeah, 2.67 ERA and 1 error committed over the last six conference games. If this team gets the bats right (a la the third game in Fayetteville), they could go on a serious tear. It's not how you start, it's how you finish.

Oh yeah, 2.67 ERA and 1 error committed over the last six conference games. If this team gets the bats right (a la the third game in Fayetteville), they could go on a serious tear. It's not how you start, it's how you finish.

Amen to this. I have all the faith in the world in Coach G, and like he said, he has to change the culture of Auburn baseball.

Amen to this. I have all the faith in the world in Coach G, and like he said, he has to change the culture of Auburn baseball.

These are totally unrelated issues in my view. Changing the culture has nothing to do with calling players out in public....totally unrelated.

Glad to see the "culture change" and he can push them til they drop or whatever....but no point in blaming individuals for losses in a team sport....and more importantly in my view, bad coaching decisions have played a part in many losses. Granted, he called a couple coaches out too...but I've yet to see him mention that he should have made a pitching change a bit earlier or that calling a double steal with one out was not necessarily a good plan or some of the decisions that rest on his shoulders.

JMO but calling our players in public has nothing to do with improvements in defensive stats (but maybe better coaching has affected those numbers) and running off at the mouth is not productive.

These are totally unrelated issues in my view. Changing the culture has nothing to do with calling players out in public....totally unrelated.

Glad to see the "culture change" and he can push them til they drop or whatever....but no point in blaming individuals for losses in a team sport....and more importantly in my view, bad coaching decisions have played a part in many losses. Granted, he called a couple coaches out too...but I've yet to see him mention that he should have made a pitching change a bit earlier or that calling a double steal with one out was not necessarily a good plan or some of the decisions that rest on his shoulders.

JMO but calling our players in public has nothing to do with improvements in defensive stats (but maybe better coaching has affected those numbers) and running off at the mouth is not productive.

I agree with you, 64 but this may be a case of having to take the bitter with the sweet. Hopefully, over time Coach will learn to be more of a Southern Gentleman.

I agree with you, 64 but this may be a case of having to take the bitter with the sweet. Hopefully, over time Coach will learn to be more of a Southern Gentleman.

I expect you are right...and even now, he has seemed to ease up a bit...on his commentary

They are totally unrelated. But that point seems to be lost on some posters.

Some of us have different life experiences and see it from a different viewpoint. It's called opinion for a reason.

The culture for the previous five years, in terms of identifying problems that held the team back, was inconsistent at best. Mostly they were ignored publicly and privately. There was absolutely no toughness to that culture and everybody within the system mostly looked the other way and made excuses.

So yeah, it's changed. And I'd say the guys that wanted to continue to make excuses are gone.

As has been pointed out, this is the SEC, it's not easy and it's not for everyone. To excel in this league you've got to have some nasty to you.

Your point isn't lost, at least not on me. I simply don't think you are correct.

Your point isn't lost, at least not on me. I simply don't think you are correct.

#TeamMikey

The culture for the previous five years, in terms of identifying problems that held the team back, was inconsistent at best. Mostly they were ignored publicly and privately. There was absolutely no toughness to that culture and everybody within the system mostly looked the other way and made excuses.

So yeah, it's changed. And I'd say the guys that wanted to continue to make excuses are gone.

As has been pointed out, this is the SEC, it's not easy and it's not for everyone. To excel in this league you've got to have some nasty to you.

Having nasty to you as a coach in the dugout is one thing. Having the ability to act with class as a representative of Auburn University is a SEPARATE MATTER. That's what I have a problem with. CSG needs to stop running his mouth in interviews. Some of you are determined to make the subject into something else entirely.

BTW....not all the players, nor their parents are happy with CSG, and his methods. I had a conversation with someone today and I wasn't really surprised to hear that.

"Having nasty to you as a coach in the dugout is one thing. Having the ability to act with class as a representative of Auburn University is a SEPARATE MATTER. "

I never understood this concept of "class". What does that really mean anyway? This is athletics- you don't get paid to be a saint, you get paid to win. Even further, this is baseball. Baseball players are notorious for needing a regime and routine and structure. SG is providing that and doing it his way. This wouldn't have been a problem if there was less social media access all the damn time. Coaches have been and will be way worse than SG and have won in the process. Look at Bear Bryant. Look at Billy Martin with the Yankees. Look at Lou Pinella. Hell, Bobby Cox is the leader of being tossed out of ball games for arguing with baseball umpires. I think this class thing is way over used in the sports/athletics realm. It's not a pageant.

You don't think it's a very bad idea for the head coach to publicly claim he was misled by his employer, and to call players out in the media because....you believe that the team is playing better strictly due to what CSG said in those interviews.

OK then. I can agree to disagree.

I didn't read into his comments that his employer misled him. The rest I feel was on display. Tough love. I liked it.

You don't think it's a very bad idea for the head coach to publicly claim he was misled by his employer, and to call players out in the media because....you believe that the team is playing better strictly due to what CSG said in those interviews.

OK then. I can agree to disagree.

No, the coach has a personality. You can't expect him to be different people under different circumstances, thus the two can't be separated as you think they should. We've never had a bigger S.O.B. coaching at Auburn than Pat Dye, yet he is revered because he won.

As I noted above, sometimes you have to take the bitter with the sweet. If Golloway doesn't win here, we'll fire him but in the meantime lets give him a chance. He deserves our support for three years to show us where this is going.

You don't think it's a very bad idea for the head coach to publicly claim he was misled by his employer...in the media....

Since you are the self appointed "context" police, you should take your own advice. What was it, "Don't you ever..."?

This is patently untrue. What he said was that the program was in worse shape than he thought. Not HEARD. Get it right, and quit banging that drum.

I never understood this concept of "class". What does that really mean anyway?

Sounds like you and Galloway might be in the same boat.

I never understood this concept of "class". What does that really mean anyway?

Sounds like you and Galloway might be in the same boat.

Not sure if serious

The whole idea of "class" is something Bear Bryant used to mention on TV while he was picking his nose. Leave Alabama and you seldom or never hear class mentioned in conjunction with sport. The bammers have to shout "class" because of their classless "we beat the hell out of you" thing they chant at the likes of UT Chattanooga after they beat them.

Sonny Golloway is exactly what AU baseball needs. He is a hard-nosed coach that will hold his players accountable for their actions and their performance. He does the same with himself and the other coaches. His style and culture is completely different than what AU was used to. The entire athletic department had gotten into an entitled state where they could do no wrong. From baseball, basketball, football, etc., the player all felt they were above working hard. I applaud Jay Jacobs for recognizing this and making the correct changes. I promise, next year's baseball team will have an edge and a toughness and will start to turn it around. We've seen what a culture change can do in football, now you will see it with baseball and basketball. I like Sonny Golloway and would definitely play for him.

Class as related to sports, IMHO, means winning or losing with dignity,showing respect, and good sportsmanship to your opponents and to your team mates.

Class as related to sports, IMHO, means winning or losing with dignity,showing respect, and good sportsmanship to your opponents and to your team mates.

You nailed it TB.

Archived