PatBoCamRob

In a word, no. Concerning the Bo/Cam debate, thank the good Lord above that I was able to observe and enjoy both while at AUburn. In my opinion though, Bo was a once in a lifetime athlete where as Cam was a once in a generation athlete. Some of the things Bo did both on the football field as well as the diamond, is mind boggling.

How long did it take you to graduate?!!! LOL

I only saw them via tv. I went to the A-Day game the year after Bo won the heisman and got to have my picture taken with him. My years at AUburn was the Bowden era. My senior football season was '98.

'Twas just a joke, bearcat, because of the way you wrote the initial post. Made it sound like you were at Auburn while both Bo and Cam were there.

Okay. I wasn't offended or anything.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a word, no. Concerning the Bo/Cam debate, thank the good Lord above that I was able to observe and enjoy both while at AUburn. In my opinion though, Bo was a once in a lifetime athlete where as Cam was a once in a generation athlete. Some of the things Bo did both on the football field as well as the diamond, is mind boggling.

How long did it take you to graduate?!!! LOL

I only saw them via tv. I went to the A-Day game the year after Bo won the heisman and got to have my picture taken with him. My years at AUburn was the Bowden era. My senior football season was '98.

'Twas just a joke, bearcat, because of the way you wrote the initial post. Made it sound like you were at Auburn while both Bo and Cam were there.

Okay. I wasn't offended or anything.

:cheers:

Absolutely NOT....no way should #11 be retired....NO WAY.

Agreed... You don't retire a number on the basis of one play...

That's my feeling also. Nor, IMO, for even a single game. Otherwise, I think David Langner who scored the two touchdowns and made the interception to seal the game in "Punt, Bama, Punt" is at the top of the list...

As for comparing plays: I choose "Kick 6" over "Immaculate Deflection".

The Georgia deflection was a completely unpredictable fluke: the ball could have been deflected in some other direction, the UGA back could have knocked it down, Ricardo Louis could have dropped it during the brief moment while he was juggling the deflection, or with just slightly different timing or angle there was still a chance the UGA backs might tackle Ricardo before the endzone. It was great to watch, but a true lucky fluke. Kick 6, meanwhile, was planned by Gus Malzahn. He saw Bama had only big slow guys on the field to protect against the block. He called time out, called for the return team, and placed Chris Davis where he needed to be. To Davis's credit, he then had the speed and the eye to find his way 109 yards.

Cudoes to both Ricardo Louis and Chris Davis, but I think successfully planning and executing a play of such magnitude outranks a lucky accident.

The great #34 should be retired before any other jersey if any retired. #11? Absolutely not. No matter how dramatic the play was. No athlete has done more for Auburn in my eyes than Bo. Even now Bo is doing good for Auburn and the state of Alabama. Nor do I think there will ever be another like him. And I'm not really a fan of retiring jersey numbers. I prefer the Giant montages and statues to our Heisman winners.

The great #34 should be retired before any other jersey if any retired. #11? Absolutely not. No matter how dramatic the play was. No athlete has done more for Auburn in my eyes than Bo. Even now Bo is doing good for Auburn and the state of Alabama. Nor do I think there will ever be another like him. And I'm not really a fan of retiring jersey numbers. I prefer the Giant montages and statues to our Heisman winners.

This makes it sound like you don't know that Bo Jackson's jersey number was retired YEARS AGO, actually DECADES AGO. Did you really not know that?? WOW...

I think the great #7 should be retired too! Show some respect to the past greats!

At some point, Cam's #2 should be retired along with David Langner, Bill Newton, (who blocked those two Alabama punts), Thom Gossom and James Owens.

At some point, Cam's #2 should be retired

Likely will after a couple more years have passed.

along with David Langner, Bill Newton, (who blocked those two Alabama punts), Thom Gossom and James Owens.

Absolutely NOT. Auburn doesn't retire numbers because of 1 or 2 plays. That's the stupidest criteria ever. We can't just go around retiring numbers because a player made a great play. It happens every game. Another poster said it best:: To have your number retired at Auburn you must either Win the Heisman trophy or be named Terry Beasley. Beyond that, its not going to happen. MOVE ON...

What about Mike Dyer? He helped us win a championship.

You talking about that same Mike Dyer that was later dismissed from the team? Let's at least try to be consistent.

At some point, Cam's #2 should be retired

Likely will after a couple more years have passed.

along with David Langner, Bill Newton, (who blocked those two Alabama punts), Thom Gossom and James Owens.

Absolutely NOT. Auburn doesn't retire numbers because of 1 or 2 plays. That's the stupidest criteria ever. We can't just go around retiring numbers because a player made a great play. It happens every game. Another poster said it best:: To have your number retired at Auburn you must either Win the Heisman trophy or be named Terry Beasley. Beyond that, its not going to happen. MOVE ON...

I fully agree with that criteria.

What about Mike Dyer? He helped us win a championship.

You talking about that same Mike Dyer that was later dismissed from the team? Let's at least try to be consistent.

I wouldn't think there was any way that anyone could take that as a serious comment. Just poking fun at the criteria some are using.

i haven't read the entire thread, so i dont know if this has been mentioned or not. would like to see auburn start a "ring of honor" like some other schools have. that way players could be memorialized without retiring numbers. retire the heisman numbers, including #2. keep 88 retired and the other great players go into the ring of honor. don't know where it would fit in JHS w/ the advertising banners and all, but it would be a nice tribute to our legends.

Archived