PatBoCamRob

I'm not even sure they should retire #2. Cam was unbelievable for sure and I still follow his career, but I'm not sure one season warrants a retirement, Heisman or not.

But he was one of the greatest players in Auburn history. Not to mention no player has worn #2 since Cam.

I'm not saying they shouldn't do it, it's just that retiring a number is usually reserved for long time success at one place. If they do it, I wouldn't be upset about it though. He deserves to be honored and retiring his number might be the best way to do that. Since he's already got a statue, then it probably makes sense to retire his number though.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm assuming the only reason they don't retire #2 is because he only played one season. Pat and Bo played four years.

I think we should retire 11. It's not knee-jerk or hyperbole that the Kick-6 is the best play in college football. It was better than Flutie and Cal-Stanford "The band is on the field" combined.

If the powers that be are reading this, let's do it.

Also, I would like to request that an image of the back of a jersey with 11 on it be on all Auburn license plates. Bammers will be chasing Davis' tail-lights forever.

That is all.

Don't think the number should be retired but I like the license plate idea.

I'm assuming the only reason Cam's number isn't retired is because he left 4 years ago. We already put up a statue outside the stadium. We're going to retire the number. Give it time.

I'm assuming the only reason Cam's number isn't retired is because he left 4 years ago. We already put up a statue outside the stadium. We're going to retire the number. Give it time.

I recall that there were actually plans to retire it in 2012, but then the season fell apart and they backed-off.

I think they will retire it, but they want to put a little more distance between the end of his Auburn career and the event itself. Bo's number wasn't retired until 1992 - seven years after he left Auburn.

I think it's a given Cam's number will be retired at a designated time that is deemed appropriate by all parties. No way it won't be IMO.

I'm not even sure they should retire #2. Cam was unbelievable for sure and I still follow his career, but I'm not sure one season warrants a retirement, Heisman or not.

He's THE greatest

Bo is the only other candidate and he will have his NFL years smashed by Cameron

Plus Bo never officially won a championship

In a word, no. Concerning the Bo/Cam debate, thank the good Lord above that I was able to observe and enjoy both while at AUburn. In my opinion though, Bo was a once in a lifetime athlete where as Cam was a once in a generation athlete. Some of the things Bo did both on the football field as well as the diamond, is mind boggling.

In a word, no. Concerning the Bo/Cam debate, thank the good Lord above that I was able to observe and enjoy both while at AUburn. In my opinion though, Bo was a once in a lifetime athlete where as Cam was a once in a generation athlete. Some of the things Bo did both on the football field as well as the diamond, is mind boggling.

How long did it take you to graduate?!!! LOL

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I only saw them via tv. I went to the A-Day game the year after Bo won the heisman and got to have my picture taken with him. My years at AUburn was the Bowden era. My senior football season was '98.

No to retiring #11. The Kick 6 was the most fantastic play and will be remembered for as long as AU football is played. However, it was only one play and that play was the result of a total team effort. I counted 5 blocks to spring Davis on his run, plus the coach's decision to put Davis back deep during the time out was a key factor. The greatest tribute we can make to Chris Davis's heroics is not to retire his number, but to remind the ignorant bammies of his run every chance we get(!)

Negative. One play is not worth retiring a number. Would we unretire it for #11 not making the play in the endzone of the BCSNC game? FWIW, I am not a fan of retiring numbers unless the player (along with being great on the field) played at AU at least 3 years.

wde

Win a Heisman, and we'll retire your number. Otherwise, you have to be named Terry Beasley. That's the criteria.

Even if they don't do a license plate, wouldn't mini #11 jersey stickers to go on a license plate or a rear window be hilarious? Wonder if the bammers would ever figure it out.

Ok. I'll settle for not retiring the number, IF we get a stadium graphic commemorating the play AND there is a big push for bumper stickers and license plates.

That play needs no advertising. It is simply one of the greatest plays ever. It stands on it's own. There whenever you need it.

You can bet that whenever Auburn is on Tv (which will be every week) and when uat is on tv (also every week) that play will be shown, and probably talked about possibly more than once during a game.

We will love it and the uaters will be more pissed seeing it every week and knowing the uat fan base, will probably eventually lead to some uater shooting another one....its just what they tend to do.

I only saw them via tv. I went to the A-Day game the year after Bo won the heisman and got to have my picture taken with him. My years at AUburn was the Bowden era. My senior football season was '98.

'Twas just a joke, bearcat, because of the way you wrote the initial post. Made it sound like you were at Auburn while both Bo and Cam were there.

You can bet that whenever Auburn is on Tv (which will be every week) and when uat is on tv (also every week) that play will be shown, and probably talked about possibly more than once during a game.

We will love it and the uaters will be more pissed seeing it every week and knowing the uat fan base, will probably eventually lead to some uater shooting another one....its just what they tend to do.

I can picture the scene. Several gap toothed bammers hanging out watching football on a Saturday afternoon. The Kick Six is replayed and and one fella makes the mistake of saying, "ya know, i gotta admit that was an amazing play". Moments later shots ring out and we'll all read about it in the papers.

While I love that play as much as anyone, I think we should not get to carried away with this. Beating bama is always special, especially the way they have been disrespecting us, but I think we need to keep moving forward and make beating them seem mundane rather than focusing on one admittedly awesome win.

besides, I would rather see #2 hung up forever first

I agree with what you say about retiring the jersey and making beating bama a thing to be expected...which actually it is already in spite of what bamzos try to claim.

But that play transcends Auburn/uat games. At the same time it is all the more important because it ended a brief period of bamzo buffoonery and gloating. The whole country was standing up and cheering as Chris Davis ran that FG back for a TD, not just Auburn people. I've talked with people in New England and on the West Coast who were shouting and cheering to their TVs when that happened. bama had become an overbearing bunch of blowhards to the whole country and the whole country was overjoyed to see AUBURN be the ones to finally take them down, in a game that ended thair NC bragging for good.

That play and that game will hurt the bamzo nation far deeper and far longer than even the punt bama punt game. That game was amazing..played by the Amazins. But the whole country celebrated this one, and bamzos know it. They claim everyone loves them but knew everyone was so sick of their redneck arrogance that the whole country hated them.

I do like the idea of putting 11 on Auburn lisence plate so that bamzo will be forever chasing #11.

Win a Heisman, and we'll retire your number. Otherwise, you have to be named Terry Beasley. That's the criteria.

Love it!

Archived