Game Clock/stadium

WinForAuburn

Got a new wellness center . I don't care if we keep score with a chaulk board. Haha. We need to spend some cash on scoreboard and sounds

I paid a extra 2-300 dollars a semester for the new Wellness Center and agree with that expense. The old one was terrible, and the new one is a facility that is used daily by the entire student body.

Alumni with $$ need to step up on this one. Tuition should not be touched for this in the student fee's, especially since it is already going up to pay for certain peoples bonus's.

If your complaining, break out the check book.

Just to be clear. NO tuition/student money is used in the athletic budget. Unlike some other schools, Auburn's athletic budget is self sufficient and does not rely on tuition or tax dollars to operate. Gus Malzahn's bonus checks are not paid by tuition increases. In fact, the athletic department gives money back to the general fund in form of tuition payment for the scholarship athletes.

According to the tuition breakdown there is a $804 dollar student fee which includes:

The Student Activities portion of the fee supports such activities as intercollegiate athletics

http://www.auburn.edu/administration/business_office/pdf/tuition_14-fall.pdf

And yes, it does mention intramural sports separately in the full quote, which is being a pain to cut n paste in it's entirety.

Then we did take a 4 million dollar plus subsidy according to USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/schools/finances/

The administrators are the ones I am referring to about bonus's that are raising the costs of tuition:

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2014/06/top_executives_at_alabama_aubu.html

We all know the Wellness Kitchen was built for the athletes. While I am not 100% positive, I don't believe the athletic department contributed to that at all. My understanding from Tiger Dinging Head speaking in my marketing class is that it was built by the left over Tiger Dining funds that they make mandatory for all students and don't let roll over from semester to semester.

Then if I read this article right, you are correct that the Athletic Department returned 1.4 million to the university in 2013, but it also took in 4.3 million in subsidy from student fees (which is the amount USA Today shows for subsidy in 2013). Take away the student fees and the athletic department had a deficit for 2013, as it would have in other years if not for student fees.

Auburn's latest NCAA report showed a $3.8 million deficit in 2013 after removing $4.3 million in subsidies from student fees and a $1.4 million transfer from the athletics department to the university. Student fee subsidies also prevented Auburn from reporting deficits on its NCAA reports in 2011, 2010 and 2009. Auburn would have had a $5.4 million surplus in 2012 without student fees.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/03/auburn_athletics_department_re_2.html

And the $804 dollar student fees, that include intercollegiate athletics in them, are not tickets as those are charged separately. I do not know if you are a student or not.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What would it cost to install 1) a first class sound system 2) fix the Plumbing 3) fix the scoreboard

Little doc

Some of the tradesmen around Auburn/Opelika would be glad to bid on the first two jobs and I'm betting it would not cost that much at all. The scoreboard, I'm ignorant about what that might take

Got a new wellness center . I don't care if we keep score with a chaulk board. Haha. We need to spend some cash on scoreboard and sounds

I paid a extra 2-300 dollars a semester for the new Wellness Center and agree with that expense. The old one was terrible, and the new one is a facility that is used daily by the entire student body.

Alumni with $$ need to step up on this one. Tuition should not be touched for this in the student fee's, especially since it is already going up to pay for certain peoples bonus's.

If your complaining, break out the check book.

Just to be clear. NO tuition/student money is used in the athletic budget. Unlike some other schools, Auburn's athletic budget is self sufficient and does not rely on tuition or tax dollars to operate. Gus Malzahn's bonus checks are not paid by tuition increases. In fact, the athletic department gives money back to the general fund in form of tuition payment for the scholarship athletes.

According to the tuition breakdown there is a $804 dollar student fee which includes:

The Student Activities portion of the fee supports such activities as intercollegiate athletics

http://www.auburn.ed...ion_14-fall.pdf

And yes, it does mention intramural sports separately in the full quote, which is being a pain to cut n paste in it's entirety.

Then we did take a 4 million dollar plus subsidy according to USA Today:

http://www.usatoday....hools/finances/

The administrators are the ones I am referring to about bonus's that are raising the costs of tuition:

http://www.al.com/ne...abama_aubu.html

We all know the Wellness Kitchen was built for the athletes. While I am not 100% positive, I don't believe the athletic department contributed to that at all. My understanding from Tiger Dinging Head speaking in my marketing class is that it was built by the left over Tiger Dining funds that they make mandatory for all students and don't let roll over from semester to semester.

Then if I read this article right, you are correct that the Athletic Department returned 1.4 million to the university in 2013, but it also took in 4.3 million in subsidy from student fees (which is the amount USA Today shows for subsidy in 2013). Take away the student fees and the athletic department had a deficit for 2013, as it would have in other years if not for student fees.

Auburn's latest NCAA report showed a $3.8 million deficit in 2013 after removing $4.3 million in subsidies from student fees and a $1.4 million transfer from the athletics department to the university. Student fee subsidies also prevented Auburn from reporting deficits on its NCAA reports in 2011, 2010 and 2009. Auburn would have had a $5.4 million surplus in 2012 without student fees.

http://www.al.com/sp...tment_re_2.html

And the $804 dollar student fees, that include intercollegiate athletics in them, are not tickets as those are charged separately. I do not know if you are a student or not.

I stand corrected. However I will point out that while student tickets are individually and separately charged, that $804 is essentially a way to subsidize those tickets which is why the student tickets are so deeply "discounted." So, while the students are subsidizing the athletic department, there is value that is being received for that whether the students realize that value is another debate.

What would it cost to install 1) a first class sound system 2) fix the Plumbing 3) fix the scoreboard

Little doc

What about the game and play clock?

Little doc

Some of the tradesmen around Auburn/Opelika would be glad to bid on the first two jobs and I'm betting it would not cost that much at all. The scoreboard, I'm ignorant about what that might take

It will take someone besides Jay Jacobs as the AD. :)

Little doc

It will take someone besides Jay Jacobs as the AD. :)/>

Do you think bashing Jacobs here is beneficial? I don't.

I say we start a AUF donation thread for fixing the clocks, plumbing and sound system

I'll donate $1,000

1,000 x 1,000 is a million

How much is it going to take

Just need to pony up or fund raise from friends and family

In the immortal words of CPD, "take pride in it and do whatever it takes to get the job done"

Little doc

At some point you just start over like Texas A&M and Stanford did. Tear down and build back.

It's fine to wish and dream but the only responsible way to consider such a thing is through a financial analysis such as taught in "Engineering Economy" which is what it was called when I took it in the early 70's. And make the analysis public. Don't forget things such as ticket prices are part of the variable mix.

I feel the same away about any significant capacity expansions. Bigger is not necessarily better.

On the other hand, upgrades and repairs to things like clocks and toilets should already be planned. Don't need an analysis for that.

Not a wish or dream. at some point you are financially better off in the long run to build a new stadium. That tends to be heresy in a tradition rich conference like the SEC. The newest stadium in the SEC opened at UK in 1973 where they tore down the oldest on campus stadium in the South, Stoll Field. TAMU will be about 75% new when their stadium is completed in 2015. There are lot of pluses to have a new modern stadium which could include adequate parking and access to major highways. However, I don't see it happening. Major college football stadiums are the largest most underutilized structures on a college campus. They sit idle at least 350 days a year.

At some point you just start over like Texas A&M and Stanford did. Tear down and build back.

It's fine to wish and dream but the only responsible way to consider such a thing is through a financial analysis such as taught in "Engineering Economy" which is what it was called when I took it in the early 70's. And make the analysis public. Don't forget things such as ticket prices are part of the variable mix.

I feel the same away about any significant capacity expansions. Bigger is not necessarily better.

On the other hand, upgrades and repairs to things like clocks and toilets should already be planned. Don't need an analysis for that.

Not a wish or dream. at some point you are financially better off in the long run to build a new stadium. That tends to be heresy in a tradition rich conference like the SEC. The newest stadium in the SEC opened at UK in 1973 where they tore down the oldest on campus stadium in the South, Stoll Field. TAMU will be about 75% new when their stadium is completed in 2015. There are lot of pluses to have a new modern stadium which could include adequate parking and access to major highways. However, I don't see it happening. Major college football stadiums are the largest most underutilized structures on a college campus. They sit idle at least 350 days a year.

JHS is used more that 350 days a year. The typical AU person might not know this. FWIW.

I say we start a AUF donation thread for fixing the clocks, plumbing and sound system

I'll donate $1,000

In the immortal words of CPD, "take pride in it and do whatever it takes to get the job done"

Little doc

The AD or administration has to want to get this stuff done. Right now this "stuff" is going to deaf ears within the AD and administration. Could cost us a great coach in the long run. Enjoy the next two years because if the AD does not start laying out a plan to do some upgrades our run with a certain coach could end. Again FWIW.

I'll donate $1,000

Little doc

The AD or administration has to want to get this stuff done. Right now this "stuff" is going to deaf ears within the AD and administration. Could cost us a great coach in the long run. Enjoy the next two years because if the AD does not start laying out a plan to do some upgrades our run with a certain coach could end. Again FWIW.

D:

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

Jay, just shut up, take my (non-existant) money, and make JHS the best damn place to play football in the country.

There is nothing wrong with the basic structure at JH. It is not a functionally obsolete stadium. It needs some work to be sure but we don't need to tear the whole thing down and start over.

It doesn't matter how many days a year it's idle anyways, it more than pays the bills....for everything and everybody. Just needs some appropriate renovation is all.

I'll donate $1,000

Little doc

I remember way back 8-10-12 years ago Tommy Tuberville was made promises to get an indoor practice facility built for the football team - at the time I didn't think much of it and didn't really question the administration and their decisions. I don't know if Jacobs was the AD at the time and if he was the one making those promises. But I do remember back about 18-24 months ago when the fanbase & students all wanted JJ's head on a platter that he made promises to the AU Family, to make the gameday experience better and more enjoyable for everyone. Now, while the malfunctioning playclock didn't bother me too much and I didn't sit in an area with shoddy plumbing, I feel like at some point the AU Administration better step up to the plate and honor the promises they've made. We are the reigning SEC champs and the BCSNC runner-up - winning at that level reaps a pretty big payoff - the funding for these simple "maintenance" projects should already be in the operating buget.... :dunno:

I heard somewhere Gus was also promised a new football facility which could cost 50+ million. JHS might be the least of our worries when it comes to keeping our coach.

They promised the same to Tuberville I believe as well. He only got what he wanted once they fired him.

$50M... that seems like a middle ground number. $50M doesn't get you what it used to, but still seems like an odd number for what we "need" or would want. Too big for a weight room, but too small for major stadium renovations. Seems like something for a field house, but they just built one a few years ago. If that figure is true, not sure what it would be for. But I'm far from an expert.

There is nothing wrong with the basic structure at JH. It is not a functionally obsolete stadium. It needs some work to be sure but we don't need to tear the whole thing down and start over.

This ^^^

I heard somewhere Gus was also promised a new football facility which could cost 50+ million. JHS might be the least of our worries when it comes to keeping our coach.

They promised the same to Tuberville I believe as well. He only got what he wanted once they fired him.

$50M... that seems like a middle ground number. $50M doesn't get you what it used to, but still seems like an odd number for what we "need" or would want. Too big for a weight room, but too small for major stadium renovations. Seems like something for a field house, but they just built one a few years ago. If that figure is true, not sure what it would be for. But I'm far from an expert.

What I read didn't quote a figure. It said we promised to build a facility "like the one Oregon just built". I think that one was around 60 mil, but I imagine we'd probably be upgrading, not building new.

I thought JJ was on the way out and then last football season and Bruce Pearl hire gave him new life.

I am not bashing JJ ( and have been plenty vocal in the past that he needed to go).

Who ever is AD ought to have the upgrades done and PDQ.

I thought JJ was on the way out and then last football season and Bruce Pearl hire gave him new life.

I am not bashing JJ ( and have been plenty vocal in the past that he needed to go).

If he doesn't make the promised uprgrades and Gus ends up leaving as a result, JJ may as well go ahead and clean out his desk as well. He'll be sent on his merry way very quickly if that happens.

This ^^^

We don't need to build a new stadium. Yes, we do need to upgrade a few things. The clocks actually worked during the pregame countdown. I don't know what happened when they reset the clocks to 15:00 for the first quarter. As for the plumbing failures. It's not really out of the ordinary for stadiums to experience a problem in a section or two. You have approximately 86,000 people using the restrooms at least two times during a four hour period. That puts a lot of pressure on the plumbing. I, personally don't see a problem with the scoreboard, except the silly ads, but these advertisers do pay for that space. #WDE

If he doesn't make the promised uprgrades and Gus ends up leaving as a result, JJ may as well go ahead and clean out his desk as well. He'll be sent on his merry way very quickly if that happens.

Wow... There's a whole lot of massive over reacting in each of these posts. It's amazing how some people take things to an extreme without knowing or understanding the procedure involved. This kind of thing is NOT up to the AD to "have the upgrades done and PDQ". That's not how it works and putting the directive at his feet is just being ignorant of the situation and procedure that has to be followed.

Wow... There's a whole lot of massive over reacting in each of these posts. It's amazing how some people take things to an extreme without knowing or understanding the procedure involved. This kind of thing is NOT up to the AD to "have the upgrades done and PDQ". That's not how it works and putting the directive at his feet is just being ignorant of the situation and procedure that has to be followed.

no but he is the AD and if he has made promises that won't be kept, then he will be the one to take the fall. Letting David Marsh get away is not good but he won't lose his job over it. If the football coach leaves then that will cost him. I know the BOT has to approve it but still JJ knows what has to be done and he has to, at the very least, present the case to them. He has to know what does and does not need to be done. The board isn't going to just up and do this on their own. It has to come from JJ. if he knows it needs to be done but doesn't try to get it done, then he does need to go.

Archived