***Auburn vs. San Jose State Post Game Thread***

RunInRed

You were complaining about the secondary though...

Yes I was. Guilty as charged. They did get 3 picks though. Look at the bright side.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It feels awesome to be pissed and underwhelmed over blowout victories again. Been a while.

I think that's the whole deal now, Gus has taken us to that level already. Last year we just wanted wins now we are finding a few faults in 46 point wins.

That's not a bad place to be. I don't think we even brought our "A" game for this one,.

From what I saw yesterday at Jordan Hare, I don't have to save up money for a NC game series this year.

That was really bad play to end up with such a lopsided score. Imagine how upside down it would have been if they hadn't made so many mistakes on offense and defense.

Sloppy game from top to bottom.

What did you think after the first two games last year?

Last year after the first game I thought we would be lucky to see a bowl game. We didn't have a starting QB, a Starting RB, and a scheme yet. It took 4-5 weeks for that team to find itself. Nick has had a whole year and off season to figure much of that out. Saturday he looked pedestrian. If it wasn't for the additional run game defense he draws by being out there we would have struggled.

Last year versus this year is not a comparison. This is a team with a lot of returning starters and a scheme and identity. We have to look a lot better week to week.

And to respond to another comment, no i am not ready to turn in the season. I am saying if we don't get a lot better fast we won't go anywhere with what played against a lower tier team Saturday.

O-Line looked good again. Didn't have Sammie but Nick and receivers were not in synch. Nick looked Like Nick about midway last year. Great running and great running of the offense but the vertical game is not there to many high throws or throws that did not lead the receiver.

D-Line had some great moments with pressure a few times like in arky game to much pressure and took them selves out of the play but an improvement over game one. Linebackers were more consistent and played much better than week one especially Frost. Double moves beat us bad twice one for a TD and one for nothing because the pass went out of bounds. Both those passes the D-line almost got there.

When Johnson came in in the 4th Quarter the passing game improved. Have to give San Jose some credit unlike last year when Auburn would try for the big play and we would miss when receivers were wide open the San Jose secondary did a good job of staying close enough that it required a very good pass to complete.

Bottom line we are way ahead of last year at this time and we improved from week to week. If improvements continue we could be really good. The D improvements will determine how good we can be. We have to quit giving up big plays.

Archived