Wisconsin to hire Pitt's Chryst to be new head coach

RunInRed

Assume Alvarez will still coach the Bowl game but who knows ...

PI-CFB-Paul-Chryst-1-121114.vadapt.955.medium.0.jpg

Pitt head coach Paul Chryst will meet with Wisconsin officials and is expected to become the Badgers' next head coach, sources told FOX Sports' Ross Jones late Thursday night.

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel also reported the news, with a source saying, "I thought this would be the scenario from Day 1. He will put together a good staff."

Chryst was an assistant at Wisconsin for eight seasons, once in 2002 and then again from 2005-11, before taking over the Panthers in 2012. In two of those seasons (2002 and '05), he coached under Barry Alvarez, now the athletics director at Wisconsin.

Chryst is 19-19 in three seasons at Pitt, finishing 6-6 in each regular season before splitting Bowl games in 2012 and 2013. The Panthers are scheduled to play Houston in the Armed Forces Bowl on Jan. 2.

Gary Andersen left Wisconsin after two seasons earlier this week to take the head job at Oregon State. The Beavers had an opening after longtime coach Mike Riley took the Nebraska head-coaching job.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/pitt-panthers-head-coach-paul-chryst-taking-over-wisconsin-badgers-replace-gary-andersen-121114?cmpid=tsmtw:fscom:FoxSportsLive

What's going on here? ....another coach with a .500 record making a move....though in his case, he is "going home" but does make me wonder.

An Alvarez disciple....so maybe Andersen's problem was more than just the weather....he was an outside in an "insider" program.

Maybe good HCs are getting harder to find these days.

No question about that....the really good ones in the Power 5 schools mostly stay put and some of the better coaching prospects might have some feelings about what it is like to coach at Wisky...and I'm not talking about the weather.

No question about that....the really good ones in the Power 5 schools mostly stay put and some of the better coaching prospects might have some feelings about what it is like to coach at Wisky...and I'm not talking about the weather.

lol, you really want something to be wrong there...one thing that is wrong is the willingness to pay assistant coaches. Former players wanted Chryst, he took over a program that may have been the biggest disaster in NCAA having 3 coaches in 2 years. to your gotta be an insider not outsider comment: kinda like bringing back Chizik, Gus, Garner, Craig, Muschamp, T-Rob.....we can go on

lol, you really want something to be wrong there...one thing that is wrong is the willingness to pay assistant coaches. Former players wanted Chryst, he took over a program that may have been the biggest disaster in NCAA having 3 coaches in 2 years. to your gotta be an insider not outsider comment: kinda like bringing back Chizik, Gus, Garner, Craig, Muschamp, T-Rob.....we can go on

Not looking for anything to be wrong...just responding to comments from Badger county about the difficulty of working "with Barry breathing down his neck".....and some comments about the tight budget....you know, the kind of stuff what AU fans would never find acceptable.

Not looking for anything to be wrong...just responding to comments from Badger county about the difficulty of working "with Barry breathing down his neck".....and some comments about the tight budget....you know, the kind of stuff what AU fans would never find acceptable.

Barry is involved but the difficulty thing has been debunked by numerous reporters with inside knowledge, I can insure the same things from my sources, former players, slow news week and internet access allows for unsubstantiated claims

maybe old Barry needs to come out of the moth balls for good and have another stint as HC for the Badgers if Chryst does not pan out. I think the SEC pays the highest salaries by far. Maybe things have gotten out of hand. However, this will not change in our lifetime folks.

Archived