Randy Shannon to join McElwain's staff at Florida

RunInRed

Arkansas LB coach Randy Shannon will join Jim McElwain's defensive staff at UF, source tells @FoxSports. 1st reported by 247

@BruceFeldmanCFB

The key here is, it's also being reported he'll be the Gators Recruiting Coordinator ... a position currently held by ... T-Rob ... stay tuned ... chips falling.

Looks like Randy Shannon has taken a lateral move to be the new LB coach at UF. I see some potential pro's and cons here about the move since Shannon has strong recruiting ties in the sunshine state.

Pros: Arkansas recruiting and D might take a hit from Shannon leaving. Shannon is a great recruiter and a good LB coach. Also, UF might challenge UGA and Mizzou for the top spot in the weak SEC East with the nice coaching staff they are putting together. Therefore if UF were to become the new team in the East this might make Richt's seat a little hotter.

Cons: With Shannon having such strong ties to recruiting in Florida it might hurt our recruiting in that state a bit. If we are able to get T-Rob this would help us out drastically in recruiting that state.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12102396/randy-shannon-new-linebackers-coach-florida-gators

Arkansas LB coach Randy Shannon will join Jim McElwain's defensive staff at UF, source tells @FoxSports. 1st reported by 247

@BruceFeldmanCFB

The key here is, it's also being reported he'll be the Gators Recruiting Coordinator ... a position currently held by ... T-Rob ... stay tuned ... chips falling.

Oh wow didn't know that about the recruiting coordinator position.... Come on home T-Rob.. D. Craig found his way so can you!

Looks as if McElwain's staff is starting to take shape rather nicely at UF. Not terribly thrilled about Shannon being back in the state of Florida, however I wonder if this will improve AU's chances to acquire Robinson and possibly Durkin.

If the RS deal is true, UF is gonna be a force to contend with pretty soon...a strong coaching staff down there.

Guest jojo1515

Terrie decision by RS. Florida could very well struggle for several years and damage his future. Arky already has a great D and he was getting some of the credit for that. I don't see this as lateral, I see it as backwards career wise. His stock at Arky was already going to be as high as it could get as a lb coach. Now he will starting all over with a unproven coach. Hell he could have to AU and at least had a chance at the DC position in a few years. Now if Floridas D struggles at all, he has set himself back 5-10 years. Just a very dumb move IYAM

Terrie decision by RS. Florida could very well struggle for several years and damage his future. Arky already has a great D and he was getting some of the credit for that. I don't see this as lateral, I see it as backwards career wise. His stock at Arky was already going to be as high as it could get as a lb coach. Now he will starting all over with a unproven coach. Hell he could have to AU and at least had a chance at the DC position in a few years. Now if Floridas D struggles at all, he has set himself back 5-10 years. Just a very dumb move IYAM

I think it's a heck of a move. With the recruiting in Florida, they're going to have the talent. McElwain will put together a good offense.

Guest jojo1515

I think it's a heck of a move. With the recruiting in Florida, they're going to have the talent. McElwain will put together a good offense.

There is no way to know what the offensive success will be. Look at Hugh Freeze....terrible offense or Sumlin....terrible defense. Sure Florida is nicer than Arky but this reeks of just taking a job because he is unhappy where he was. Career wise it is a huge risk

There is no way to know what the offensive success will be. Look at Hugh Freeze....terrible offense or Sumlin....terrible defense. Sure Florida is nicer than Arky but this reeks of just taking a job because he is unhappy where he was. Career wise it is a huge risk

every move is a risk. CSU isn't the SEC but he really had that program on a high level, like they have never seen before. The DC knows what he is doing and he has a wealth of talent to work with. With Shannon coaching the linebackers it is that much better. UF is going to be a serious contender

Guest jojo1515

Good grief you will argue with a brick wall. All you have is opinions and it doesn't make you right or wrong. I think it's a terrible move for him. You seem to think its a good move. It is clearly a very large career risk to leave a successful job for an unknown without a significant promotion in rank. End of story.

Guest jojo1515

I have to agree with cooltiger on this one, Shannon had a lot to do with probably the best defense ever assembled at the u in early 2000's

I agree that it is a good move for Florida, not so much for RS though

It is clearly a very large career risk to leave a successful job for an unknown without a significant promotion in rank. End of story.

You're wrong, sorry. Someone like Shannon will never have trouble landing a job as a position coach, thus I fail to see how this is a huge career risk. He's getting to go back home to coach at a school with infinitely more resources and a better track record of success...a school where he will also have a much easier time recruiting. Arkansas is a mid-tier SEC team and always will be...you're acting as if he left a job with the New England Patriots or something.

Guest jojo1515

It is clearly a very large career risk to leave a successful job for an unknown without a significant promotion in rank. End of story.

You're wrong, sorry. Someone like Shannon will never have trouble landing a job as a position coach, thus I fail to see how this is a huge career risk. He's getting to go back home to coach at a school with infinitely more resources and a better track record of success...a school where he will also have a much easier time recruiting. Arkansas is a mid-tier SEC team and always will be...you're acting as if he left a job with the New England Patriots or something.

Good to know your opinion is a fact. Any other opinions you want to declare as fact so everyone can know the truth?

Who is the new DC at Florida that Shannon will be working for?

Guest jojo1515

Who is the new DC at Florida that Shannon will be working for?

Mississippi States dc...not exactly a slam dunk

EDIT: MSU ranked 81st in total D this year

Good to know your opinion is a fact. Any other opinions you want to declare as fact so everyone can know the truth?

Great response.

Try convincing me why leaving freaking Arkansas is supposedly a "terrible career move" LMFAO. Shannon has a s***-ton of clout in the coaching ranks (hence why Florida, and us were after him)...if by some chance the Florida thing completely flops, do you seriously believe that he won't be able to land another Arkansas-level job easily?

Guest jojo1515

Great response.

Try convincing me why leaving freaking Arkansas is supposedly a "terrible career move" LMFAO. Shannon has a s***-ton of clout in the coaching ranks (hence why Florida, and us were after him)...if by some chance the Florida thing completely flops, do you seriously believe that he won't be able to land another Arkansas-level job easily?

Obviously you missed the point all together. If 4 years from now he has to look for another Arkansas level job....he has cost himself 5-10 years in the chance to move up to a dc. Guess that's not risky in your book. Also not risky in your book to leave one of the most impressive Ds in the second half of the season in the whole country to go to a team with an unproven head coach and a dc that ranked 81st in total D this year. No risk involved at all, right? Please enlighten me on some more of your opinion/facts. Just because it is a move from Arky to Florida doesn't make it a smart move. Surely you understand that there is a lot more to a successful career than the name of the company you work for.

Who knows why a person changes his job....but IMO UF got a good guy and with the new coaching staff and the talent in the Florida HS system, UF should be back in the hunt in a couple years.

Muschamp didn't leave the cupboard bare when it comes to talent at UF. UF did have a good defense this year. It was their offense that stunk it up. I doubt you will see a drop off with Shannon on board that staff. I would say UF is also a more lucrative position when it comes to getting hired in a higher position down the road. When was the last time you saw people trying to poach Arky coaches for a bigger position? Also, some of you say McElwain is unproven in the SEC, guess what the same could be said about Gus when he became our HC. Both were great OC at SEC schools and both went to smaller schools to be a HC and did a great job. The only advantage I would say Gus had is that he recruited all his players as Auburn's OC before he became our HC. Another point would be the SEC West isn't getting any easier to win. The SEC East on the other hand is wide open.

You have absolutely zero insight into what Shannon's career plans are. He has not only already been a DC, but he's also been a HC as well (ie: the guy isn't hurting for money). His career isn't riding on whether or not he becomes a DC again, for all you know the guy is going to be perfectly happy making $500K+ per year as LB coach in his own home state. Furthermore; your entire argument is based off of wild assumption. Why would he be any more likely to land a DC job by staying at Arkansas? Florida and Arkansas were largely equal defensively this season; its not like he's leaving to go coach at a school that has a defense ranked in the 100's. Furthermore, there is more defensive talent already on roster at Florida...and the insurmountable recruiting advantages that they possess over a school like Arkansas means that they'll be able to land even more defensive talent in the future...ie: his chances of landing a DC job coming out of Florida are as good as they would have been coming out of Arkansas.

You have absolutely zero insight into what Shannon's career plans are. He has not only already been a DC, but he's also been a HC as well (ie: the guy isn't hurting for money). His career isn't riding on whether or not he becomes a DC again, for all you know the guy is going to be perfectly happy making $500K+ per year as LB coach in his own home state. Furthermore; your entire argument is based off of wild assumption. Why would he be any more likely to land a DC job by staying at Arkansas? Florida and Arkansas were largely equal defensively this season; its not like he's leaving to go coach at a school that has a defense ranked in the 100's. Furthermore, there is more defensive talent already on roster at Florida...and the insurmountable recruiting advantages that they possess over a school like Arkansas means that they'll be able to land even more defensive talent in the future...ie: his chances of landing a DC job coming out of Florida are as good as they would have been coming out of Arkansas.

Uhh was this directed at me?

Aren't you the one who stated your opinion and declared , "end of story"?

Archived