Randy Shannon to join McElwain's staff at Florida

RunInRed

Guest jojo1515

There it is. More opinion facts. Not only do you also not know his career plans, you don't know his money situation so claiming he isn't hurting for money is not only an opinion, it is a guess. It is MY OPINION that he would have been a DC candidate next year at major colleges with the D success that Arky is having. Can you say the same for Florida. Again, stop claiming that your opinion is a fact and at least recognize that we are arguing opinions in a manner where neither of us are right or wrong as they are our OPINIONS. Do me a favor and don't tell me I'm wrong and then attempt to prove it with your opinion. Your opinion is just an opinion and cannot be passed of as a fact that proves someone else is wrong. To claim so is pure chicanery.

Guest jojo1515

It is clearly a very large career risk to leave a successful job for an unknown without a significant promotion in rank. End of story.

You're wrong, sorry. Someone like Shannon will never have trouble landing a job as a position coach, thus I fail to see how this is a huge career risk. He's getting to go back home to coach at a school with infinitely more resources and a better track record of success...a school where he will also have a much easier time recruiting. Arkansas is a mid-tier SEC team and always will be...you're acting as if he left a job with the New England Patriots or something.

Good to know your opinion is a fact. Any other opinions you want to declare as fact so everyone can know the truth?

Aren't you the one who stated your opinion and declared , "end of story"?

Yes. I declared that we had opinions and there was a risk involved. Both are facts and that should be the end of story

It is clearly a very large career risk to leave a successful job for an unknown without a significant promotion in rank. End of story.

You're wrong, sorry. Someone like Shannon will never have trouble landing a job as a position coach, thus I fail to see how this is a huge career risk. He's getting to go back home to coach at a school with infinitely more resources and a better track record of success...a school where he will also have a much easier time recruiting. Arkansas is a mid-tier SEC team and always will be...you're acting as if he left a job with the New England Patriots or something.

Good to know your opinion is a fact. Any other opinions you want to declare as fact so everyone can know the truth?

Yes. I declared that we had opinions and there was a risk involved. Both are facts and that should be the end of story

On a discussion board? You get to decide when an issue is settled?

Guest jojo1515

On a discussion board? You get to decide when an issue is settled?

From my end, yes

It is MY OPINION that he would have been a DC candidate next year at major colleges with the D success that Arky is having. Can you say the same for Florida.

Shannon is already a known and proven commodity. Whether he is coaching LBs at Arkansas or Florida isn't going to drastically effect what type of DC offers he ultimately receives, period. You're not talking about an "up and coming coach" who needs perception to push his way along; everyone already knows what Shannon can and can not do.

While RS is a good get for Florida, defense has not been their major weakness for many years (even before Muschamp's tenure), so there is neither a great need nor a lot of room for improvement on that side of the ball. In other words, I see the new defensive staff's job as more along the order of maintaining the status quo or not slipping backwards. So I don't have any real 'fear' of anyone they might hire on defense--there's a limit to just how much more a new D-staff can achieve there.

Florida's future will depend on whether McElwain can produce an offense there.

Personally, as far as the SEC-East powers goes, I've always preferred UF to Georgia or South Carolina (although I like Spurrier, for his talent and his honesty in speaking his mind). Tennessee? My only real affection is in the sense that "the enemy of my enemy (UAT!) is my friend".

Guest jojo1515

It is MY OPINION that he would have been a DC candidate next year at major colleges with the D success that Arky is having. Can you say the same for Florida.

Shannon is already a known and proven commodity. Whether he is coaching LBs at Arkansas or Florida isn't going to drastically effect what type of DC offers he ultimately receives, period. You're not talking about an "up and coming coach" who needs perception to push his way along; everyone already knows what Shannon can and can not do.

Fair enough. I think a below par job by the head coach there could negatively affect him and Arkys D coaches are quickly becoming coveted commodities.

Fair enough. I think a below par job by the head coach there could negatively affect him and Arkys D coaches are quickly becoming coveted commodities.asis

Let's just see how long Arky can sustain things. They can't get the top level talent that some other schools can. Nobody expected much out of them this year. I still say Burt is not the coach that can get them to more than 7-8 wins on a consistent basis. Shannon shouldn't even be a linebacker coach but he got his name associated with all the mess that was Miami even though he was the one person trying to clean things up.

Fair enough. I think a below par job by the head coach there could negatively affect him and Arkys D coaches are quickly becoming coveted commodities.asis

Let's just see how long Arky can sustain things. They can't get the top level talent that some other schools can. Nobody expected much out of them this year. I still say Burt is not the coach that can get them to more than 7-8 wins on a consistent basis. Shannon shouldn't even be a linebacker coach but he got his name associated with all the mess that was Miami even though he was the one person trying to clean things up.

Same can probably be said of Ole Miss, Miss State and maybe even TAMU in the west. JMO but Bert is good enough to make it hard on teams that come to Arky as we saw at the end of the season. What we mostly have in the SEC West is bunch of 8 or 9 win teams in any given year and depending on favorable schedules, Arky will probably be one of them some years...just another team that's going to make it hard to go through the conference with fewer than 2 losses IMO..

Guest jojo1515

That MSU DC is surely looking great right now. Worst defensive bowl game in the history of MSU. This is who Shannon is going to coach for. Genius

Archived