Charleston police officer shoots man in back

cooltigger21

What about the hundreds of videos where people recorded and there was no problem? Like I said I can point at two cases where police shot and killed men they said they were trying to tase, so now we can make laws saying police can't use weapons when they are within ten feet of an individual?

Just curious Cole. Did you see anything wrong with the two linked youtube video's?

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I can see why policemen would be ticked. I could also post a video of a guy taping a policeman from 30-40 feet away and his partner comes over and invades space and badger the guy taping....

I'm curious you don't see how having restrictions like that would lead to videos not being used in important scenarios where that evidence may be key?

Why must people make an already difficult job that much worse by purposefully and intentionally attempting to distract officers from their jobs?? Then on top of it trying to "test" the officers knowledge. It's ridiculous for people to intentionally add more stress on officers for the purpose of trying to push some ideology or make some point that they are smarter or more knowledgeable or whatever the end game is. Their sole purpose in doing this is to harass and annoy LEOs who are working.

Yeah I can see why policemen would be ticked. I could also post a video of a guy taping a policeman from 30-40 feet away and his partner comes over and invades space and badger the guy taping....

I'm curious you don't see how having restrictions like that would lead to videos not being used in important scenarios where that evidence may be key?

But it wouldn't lead to video not being used. The law, as I understand it, simply prevents interference. Video all you want from 25' or more. I hope we can at least agree these folks were doing more than video taping. Appeared to me they were purposely interfering/distracting.

Man I keep bringing up the scenario of being pulled over and NONE of you will address it lol. Majority of videos you going to see is of people getting pulled over.

Man I keep bringing up the scenario of being pulled over and NONE of you will address it lol. Majority of videos you going to see is of people getting pulled over.

I'll address your scenario. Talk to me.

I'm saying that if that law could erase people taping during traffic stops or using any video where they are doing wrong it's a wrap

Probably so, if that was the intent of the law. It wasn't. The way I read it anyway. It still allows video taping beyond 25'.

The law wasn't proposed to stop video taping. It was done for the purpose of these cop watch bloggers and open carry types.

Texas already has argued and passed that it is legal to film the police in the state for one. So if you are the focus of the investigation then it is impossible to be 25'ft away (lawyer would destroy that in a court) two. Though if you are too busy filming and not following requests you should, then you can bet you will get hit with interference of public duties.

If I was Villba I would just reword it. Take out the recording part and just list non-essentials to the investigation at the scene be 25ft away and those that are armed be 100ft away. Problem solved. I don't see any reason anyone not necessary should be in the way and fully understand why officers don't want a group of AK47 carrying individuals hovering over them.

I'd also like to see these guys follow the officers down to the Hispanic gang neighborhoods and pull this crap.

I am curious if anyone opposed to this law is willing to reconsider after viewing the video's?

Nope. Not a fan of some of Kory's tactics, but he has the right to be armed, and he has the right to record police. The guy may be a twerp, but he's a twerp that doesn't want to be put on death row for murdering a cop.

I don't open carry for practical reasons, but people should be free to

And noone would be taking away their right to be armed, nor would they be taking away their right to film the police. They would just have boundaries on how close they could be to the scene a officer is working.

And noone would be taking away their right to be armed, nor would they be taking away their right to film the police. They would just have boundaries on how close they could be to the scene a officer is working.

Boundaries that are completely unnecessary. If those filming are interfering, arrest them for obstruction. If they aren't, leave them alone. The boundary is just a way to create a precursor to banning filming. I'm sure the body cameras will play a role in that as well. "We already have body cameras, so what are you worried about?"

Boundaries that are completely unnecessary. If those filming are interfering, arrest them for obstruction. If they aren't, leave them alone. The boundary is just a way to create a precursor to banning filming. I'm sure the body cameras will play a role in that as well. "We already have body cameras, so what are you worried about?"

Already been ruled on in Texas, you are not going to ban filming the police there so you don't have to worry about that.

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.2181445

maybe a good reason cops need at least 25 feet. this might need it's own thread. it's hard to tell with all the chaos but i never saw any handcuffs. so i am not sure how well of a job the cops did. this is why i am not a cop. i would have shot nearly every damn one of them. the walmart dude was thowing some dukes.

Probably so, if that was the intent of the law. It wasn't. The way I read it anyway. It still allows video taping beyond 25'.

Right so since you can't get a ticket 25' away then we can agree if we follow the letter of the law that would wipe out taping of police when you get pulled over. That's just basic physics right?

And none of those videos are from Texas where it went to courts already and was upheld that it is legal to record police. This is what the bill was for:

What his bill IS aimed at, Villalba said, are cop-watch groups that consist of ‘agitators posing as journalists in order to interfere’ with officers doing their job.”

http://benswann.com/...ming-of-police/

In fact your Norfolk video perfectly shows the issues with these bloggers and the problems officers face. It says police beat the man. They did no such thing, so there is a lie right off the bat. His right to film was upheld and the charge about filming was dropped. It was found that he was trying to incite though. He was neither beaten, nor arrested for filming.

A magistrate did not grant police that charge, but charged Robinson with two misdemeanors - unlawfully refusing to give his name and disorderly conduct. Based on evidence provided by Dixon and Hyman, the magistrate wrote, Robinson "tried to incite 'New Black Panthers.' "

http://hamptonroads....ght-film-police

Go to the 4:19 mark of this video. You will see the guy keeps creeping up to the scene and it further irritates the man the police are trying to settle down. He is making the situation worse. Then he gets mad and accuses the cops of stuff when they try to tell him hey, we are out of here and harasses them as they leave.

Or the idiot bloggers that go out after the Aurora shooting with long guns and just walk around town trying to film a officer messing up (and they can't figure out why people would call the police):

I know that. I'm talking about the what if this was passed nationally, I don't care about individually what a guy is doing in Texas. That's what you entered in the conversation. And the last video I posted the officer said the guy assaulted him so yeah everybody lies, but we already know that

Cole you seem to be arguing against yourself. These videos you link show these cops think it is illegal to record them. I guess it is different in every state but this 25' law defines it is legal. It just gives the LEO room to work. That should be a win for your cause.

this guy was just trying to start something I don't know what is legal or not but I have no problem with cops asking him to stop recording them. They were polite about it. They were just sitting in a car. And he was very close. Dude was a trouble maker.

They can't ask him that. That's the point and I'm not arguing against myself at all, your logic is funny though. And lol at the cops THINK it's illegal, seems like they would care enough to know lol

Archived