"Best coaching job in America"

StatTiger

“I am not interested in any other positions,” Tuberville said on Monday afternoon. “I have agreed in principle to a new contract with Auburn. I look forward to many more years at Auburn. This is the best coaching job in America.”

Tommy Tuberville 12-27-04

I didn't think that he would allow this to go on too long. It would do nothing but get his team's attention off VT. If he did then he would be using it as a means to a different contract.

Besides this is the same LSU whose fans called his wife an "Auburn whore" while he needed a swat team just to get on the team bus-I'm sure he is real interested

its a very good job, but the best in america? not too sure about that.

134113[/snapback]

I am! :au::homer:

It's actually a "diamond in the rough" job. A lot of people don't think of it as that great, but you can win here, and win big, as has been proven recently. If you count '93, we should have 6 SEC titles in the last 22 years. We had legitimate chances at 4 NCs in that period as well. ('83 for all intents and purposes we did win it, '93 we were the only major undefeated, '88 if we stop LSU on 4th down, we play ND and beat them for the NC, and of course there's this year). There's a lot of potential here.

No doubt that AU is one of the BEST jobs in the country and one of the top in the SEC. The only schools that are close in the SEC are FL & TN. B)

WAR EAGLE ! ! ! :au:

Have to remember guys this all started with Dye...The New Auburn Football....

and Tubs is just keeping it going...The Best thing Tubbs is a good CEO Running a program who lets each coach do their job...WE now have the best asst. Coaches in the Country..I just hope we can keep them for a while...Next Year the O will be tested but we should be returning one of the best defences.. And like Dye said you win championships with Defence...It will be hard as Heck to Repeat but it can be done...If the underclassmen see this much unity as this year then its a must to keep the Unity alive and keep the winning tradition...Next Year we may not win them all but AUBURN will not go down without a FIGHT...Fight On YOU ORANGE AND BLUE...Thanks for a wonderful Dream of 04 and May 05 be just as good...To Hell with Who is number one cause...AUBURN is and will be Always Number 1 to me and my Family....God Bless and Good Luck in the Future TUBBS...You Are an AUBURN MAN...and a GENTLEMEN for putting up with the BOT....Shug would have been proud to Call u an Auburn Man...Thanks again Coach for This Amazing Year...

Have to remember guys this all started with Dye...The New Auburn Football....

and Tubs is just keeping it going...The Best thing Tubbs is a good CEO Running a program who lets each coach do their job...WE now have the best asst. Coaches in the Country..I just hope we can keep them for a while...Next Year the O will be tested but we should be returning one of the best defences.. And like Dye said you win championships with Defence...It will be hard as Heck to Repeat but it can be done...If the underclassmen see this much unity as this year then its a must to keep the Unity alive and keep the winning tradition...Next Year we may not win them all but AUBURN will not go down without a FIGHT...Fight On YOU ORANGE AND BLUE...Thanks for a wonderful Dream of 04 and May 05 be just as good...To Hell with Who is number one cause...AUBURN is and will be Always Number 1 to me and my Family....God Bless and Good Luck in the Future TUBBS...You Are an AUBURN MAN...and a GENTLEMEN for putting up with the BOT....Shug would have been proud to Call u an Auburn Man...Thanks again Coach for This Amazing Year...

134139[/snapback]

Sorry, not so. We were a power before the Bahr...which was obviously before some of you were born...but I was 8 and a HUGE Auburn fan in 1957! And we had some very good teams before and after that! :au::homer:

your right Auburn was a power before that..I mainly remember the Barfield years and remember our pain and suffering over the 9 year drought vs Bama..It was Dye who returned us to the Promise Land...I guess that was what i ment to say...sorry :)

In the spirit of fairness and balance, it was also Dye that landed AU on probation and brought us the midget. Dye had his high moments, and he's definitely had his low ones.

Dye deserves little, if any, credit for today's Auburn successes.

your right Auburn was a power before that..I mainly remember the Barfield years and remember our pain and suffering over the 9  year drought vs Bama..It was Dye who returned us to the Promise Land...I guess that was what i ment to say...sorry :)

134161[/snapback]

No apology necessary. I know that the younger of us ( I used to be one) remember those Barfield years like a bad dream. I'll tell you a story....

In about 1973 or so, I lived on Long Island (NY), and I was dating the NY State HS Baton Twirling Champion. She got a scholarship to Memphis (State) and off she went. I wanted to go home (at the time) to Huntsville, Alabama...and I got my brother to get us AU/MEMPHIS STATE tickets. My plan you see, was to surprise my little baton twirling honey at the game...and my plan worked perfectly. The configuration of JHS at the time allowed me to be looking down from not so very far up, as the Memphis band came marching into the stadium, with my sweetheart twirling and leading the way! I yelled down at her, she heard me, looked up and gave me the biggest, prettiest, most STUNNED smile that you ever saw!!! I, of course, was supposed to be over a thousand miles away!!!

I sat with her after half time, confident that a team with Brooks, Cribbs, and Andrews could beat lowly Memphis State. I had to sit there with my baby and watch as we fumbled SIX TIMES and lost that game.

My honey was very sympathetic, but I could tell that she was also ecstatic over the upset win. I couldn't blame her. All she'd ever heard from me was Auburn this, and Auburn that.

Anyway, it was one of the coolest things that I ever did for a girl. And no, I didn't marry her. I let her get away and marry some lawyer in Memphis. But it all worked out for the best...I guess. :)

Cribbs '76-'79

Andrews '76-'78

Brooks '77-'80

We played Memphis State in Auburn in 1975, Shug Jordan's last season...we lost that game and the one played in Memphis in 1976.

Still a nice story, though.

My biggest memory of Barfield is him being the butt of many a wisecrack at my elementary school...his last team (1980) was winless in conference play...the only time that's happened since 1952.

Archived