Non- Conference Schedule

Auburn85

Georgia Tech should be an annual showdown. It's a shame we couldn't have played them this saeson.

I do like that we are playing Southern Miss next season, but we are also playing Ball State, which I guess is better than Division 1AA Citadel.

I wuld also like the idea of playing UAB or/and Troy on a regualr basis. You know, kind of like generic versions of a state rivalry.

I know some may be against this idea. I mean, UAB's football program is on life support. Although they did play in a bowl. Troy would be a ligit opponent. And again, I understand some may think that we have nothing to gain, but everything to lose. We shouldn't be worried about playing anyone that has a chance to pull an upset.

Maybe we could play them in a 2 for 1 deal. Meaning they come to Jordan Hare twice, and we go to Troy and UAB once.

I mean we played Virginia in 97-98 and then stopped. We played Southern Cal twice 2002-03 and then stopped.

I know schedules are made out years in advance, but not every opponent will eventually break out of the deal to play us.

Also, I have to look at the 83 season. We had the toughest schedule in the NCAA, but we still finished 3rd.

Why in the world would we offer a 2 for 1 with Troy or UAB. If we play them, we'd better not EVER have to set foot in their stadiums. 'Movie Gallery Stadium' cannot hold enough people for an Auburn football game.

Since SoMiss is considering buying out this year, I'd love to fill the void with Troy or UAB.

Despite what ESPN says, when you play in the SEC, you DONT schedule a non-conference with GT, USC, Syracuse, etc. every year. You schedule one a year, maybe. This year's nonconference was pathetic, but look at our conference schedule!!!

1. LSU

2. UT (twice)

3. UGA

4. Bama

5. Arkansas (always plays us tough)

6. Ole Miss (still hate Tuberville)

With that slate year in-year out, you DONT load up on three toughies. You just dont.

... i agree that georgia tech should be an annual game. it has history and it's a good rivalry.

... as for another out of conference game, how about a rotation (home and home) with texas, fsu, usc, and a big ten team.

... my dream would be an occasional rotation with notre dame.

I doubt we will ever see AU, or even UA, play UAB and/or Troy on a regular schedule. My boss asked David Housel straight out a couple of months ago why we haven't scheduled these two in state "rivals". He said We (I'm guessing he means admin) are too afraid they will beat us.

I think you are right in one sense that we can't schedule 3 non conf games against tough opponents like GT, USC, Syracuse each year, BUT I think we need to start looking at our future schedules to add in one probably two tougher non-conference games.

Let's face it!!! That has hurt us this year. I know we had to get the Citadel b/c Bowling Green backed out, but AU needs contracts in place with other big major college programs. Get non conference games with the likes of Texas A & M or Colorado OR look to the ACC for some. IF we had gone undefeated with the schedule we had last year.....there would be no question in the country by the sportswriters in ranking us #1. We have the footings now to be able to lure some schools down here, like LSU got Oregon St. Thats it...if the PAC10 thinks they are so good get one of them down here.

I would much rather see us schedule a Washington St as opposed to La Tech!!! We will have to to stay in the NC hunt. It is obvious the pendulum has swung away from the SEC. Everybody got on the USC/PAC10 crybaby wagon this year and nothing was going to dethrone them from the #1 spot this year.

Why in the world would we offer a 2 for 1 with Troy or UAB.  If we play them, we'd better not EVER have to set foot in their stadiums.  'Movie Gallery Stadium' cannot hold enough people for an Auburn football game.

Since SoMiss is considering buying out this year, I'd love to fill the void with Troy or UAB. 

Despite what ESPN says, when you play in the SEC, you DONT schedule a non-conference with GT, USC, Syracuse, etc. every year.  You schedule one a year, maybe.  This year's nonconference was pathetic, but look at our conference schedule!!!

1.  LSU

2.  UT (twice)

3.  UGA

4.  Bama

5.  Arkansas (always plays us tough)

6.  Ole Miss (still hate Tuberville)

With that slate year in-year out, you DONT load up on three toughies.  You just dont.

134339[/snapback]

AMEN! I don't care what the bogus media says...those guys on ESPN are a bunch of big 10 homers and they don't know anything about REAL football!!!! :au::homer:

I agree with creed... I would like to play some big name teams every year. I wish we could start a yearly rival with someone like Georgia Tech and play them EVERY year! Next we rotate a Big 10, ACC or Big 12 opponent for a home and home...

As a season ticket holder, this year stunk!!! Besides the fact of Auburn being 12-0, I got to witness LA-Monroe, The Citadel, LA Tech and Kentucky...Basically we got to watch LSU, UGA and Arkansas.

Don't get me wrong, I tailgated and partyed at all of them; however, I think everyone would agree that the UGA and LSU games, which were actually good teams, made the season at Jordan Hare worth it!!!

I agree that we should rotate a couple of Big 12, Pac 10 or ACC teams each year. I would think that the MAC conference would also be worthy.

The Big 12 North Division would have been great this year. They were equivalent to our Kentucky, Ole' Miss, Vandy and Miss State. That could have neutralized some scheduling issues.

One patsy

One also-ran from another BCS conference (ex. kansas, baylor, washington, rutgers, duke)

One top 25-ish, bowl team (GT, klempsin, louisville)

In years when we step it up and schedule a usc, nebraska, texass, the other 2 should both be patsys.

BTW, we have nothing to gain by playing ND. It's not a quality win and if you lose, it's like dropping one to uab or troy. That program is in horrible shape right now and playing them would be a no-win situation for Auburn.

I would like to see Louisville on our schedule if Petrino stays.

Wouldn't the media eat up this one?

Also Maryland or Memphis those teams are somewhere in the middle of their conference.

Pitt or W. Virginia

Marshall, they will be in Conference USA next season

"BTW, we have nothing to gain by playing ND. It's not a quality win and if you lose, it's like dropping one to uab or troy. That program is in horrible shape right now and playing them would be a no-win situation for Auburn"

Same could be said for Nebraska. That program is in the toilet too. Playing them wouldn't help us any either...

Archived