Would you be content as an Auburn fan...

I'll pass on another 2012 season for the rest of my life....Thanks

I'll tell you that I wasn't bothered to be working Saturdays that year.

Didn't watch the UGA game or the Iron Bowl. Not an ounce of guilt. Told my wife during the Miss State game, "This team has quit." Unfortunately already had tickets for aTm. Started to leave that one just before half. aTm scored again before we could get out of the stadium.

No. No thanks. I want a chance every year.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, I want Auburn to be a team that has consistent 10 + win seasons. There are numerous benefits to a program like that, two of which are championships and the recruiting of top players.

We are entering into a long-term cycle that will see us wining 10 plus games pretty much season in and out. Not to mention, playing for SEC championships as well as NCs. As the Saban cycle comes to an end, we will become the dominate team in the state of Alabama. Put on your seatbelts my friends and enjoy the ride!

Jack Nicklaus has won more majors than anyone else. He also finished in 2nd place more than anyone else. The last few years notwithstanding, if you want to consistently win championships, you have to consistently put yourself in position to win championships. Being the "comeback kid" every several years makes for a nice story but is not the way to bring home the trophy very often.

^This is a good post. ^

Doesn't really have anything to do with the OP.

Talking about consistency and not being on the 5 year rollercoaster has everything to do with the OP.

Jack Nicklaus has won more majors than anyone else. He also finished in 2nd place more than anyone else. The last few years notwithstanding, if you want to consistently win championships, you have to consistently put yourself in position to win championships. Being the "comeback kid" every several years makes for a nice story but is not the way to bring home the trophy very often.

^This is a good post. ^

Talking about consistency and not being on the 5 year rollercoaster has everything to do with the OP.

Ok, I want consistently good football. There.

^This is a good post. ^

The OP laid it out as "would you be willing to have some really down years if we got a championship out of it every 5 years?" He said he'd rather be consistently good year in and year out and win championships (paraphrasing). OBVIOUSLY every poster here would take consistent 10 win seasons with championships but that defeats the whole purpose of the thread.

Eta- Now that I read his post again it's all so clear. What he's saying (and you're cosigning) is that you have a better chance to win championships if you're good every year. Your chances to win a championship are greatly reduced if you're only good every now and then and rely on miraculous comebacks. Someone alert the coaching staff to this immediately.

I know that every team has their eventual downfall but dang...look how long bammer has been at the top.....every year for idk how long. I do think this year they will definitely be on a downslope and it will be a downer for their "ship or nothing" fans smh......but still they will have top recruits coming in as long as saban's there. This season seems to be the best opportunity in a while to win the whole shebang...JJ at qb.....lethal rb duo....duuuuuuuuuke.....lawson and cowart...and not to mention cassanova and frost...maybe it's because i haven't been on here much but it doesn't seem like their return is being made a big enough deal..that's huge for us! After this season we should still have JJ and cowart among others so it should be a great possibility that we are a serious championship contender for next season too...Here's to hoping this season and the next propel us to the top and the recruits start sprinting our way!

^This is a good post. ^

The OP laid it out as "would you be willing to have some really down years if we got a championship out of it every 5 years?" He said he'd rather be consistently good year in and year out and win championships (paraphrasing). OBVIOUSLY every poster here would take consistent 10 win seasons with championships but that defeats the whole purpose of the thread.

Eta- Now that I read his post again it's all so clear. What he's saying (and you're cosigning) is that you have a better chance to win championships if you're good every year. Your chances to win a championship are greatly reduced if you're only good every now and then and rely on miraculous comebacks. Someone alert the coaching staff to this immediately.

Good, glad we got that cleared up.

^This is a good post. ^

Good, glad we got that cleared up.

Brilliant!

No, I would not. I want consistency and I wnt Auburn to be very good or better every year, not just once in a while. And I don't think dismal years like 2011 and 2012 should be tolerated.

It's becoming increasingly clear that many (most) of y'all are struggling mightily with the premise of the OP. Carry on.

Would I take a natty every 5 years if it meant misery, ie 2012, mixed in? Hell yeah, especially after living my first 40+ years of AU existence waiting for that first one. Is it realistic to think that would happen if we're puking up a 2012 every 5 years? Hell no, which is what I think most are saying while understanding the premise of the "OP".

If Auburn became that level of program, would they name the field and/or stadium after Malzahn? It'd basically make him the first coach here to combine consistency and national titles together

Just a question

It may not be popular opinion, but I'd love for the stadium to be renamed as Auburn Stadium. It's a throwback to the original stadium and sends the message that Auburn greatness isn't defined by one coaches legacy. Then street names could be named for specific coaches (i.e. donahue and Heisman drive).

Would I take a natty every 5 years if it meant misery, ie 2012, mixed in? Hell yeah, especially after living my first 40+ years of AU existence waiting for that first one. Is it realistic to think that would happen if we're puking up a 2012 every 5 years? Hell no, which is what I think most are saying while understanding the premise of the "OP".

You give them more credit than I do.

You give them more credit than I do.

Fair enough.

To address the "premise police":

To ask if we're okay with winning a natty periodically and stinking it up in between, you have to ask "as opposed to what?" Stinking it up and then NOT winning championships? That's a clear answer. What I think most people understand is that high-level consistency is key to winning championships over the long haul. And, IMO, makes the off-season of anticipation a LOT more fun.

Sorry if some of us deviated from yes/no answers. THAT would have been a thrilling thread.

To ask if we're okay with winning a natty periodically and stinking it up in between, you have to ask "as opposed to what?" Stinking it up and then NOT winning championships? That's a clear answer. What I think most people understand is that high-level consistency is key to winning championships over the long haul. And, IMO, makes the off-season of anticipation a LOT more fun.

Sorry if some of us deviated from yes/no answers. THAT would have been a thrilling thread.

Yep.

It isn't that you deviated from yes/no answers, it's that you want your cake and eat it too. That fact that you've yet to understand that just goes to show that I've already wasted too much time and energy in this thread.

Yep.

I think you are correct. It takes consistency and striving to get better to win championships. Saban' s process wasn't win one and forget how to play the next four years. Even Oregon is an example. The longer they are knocking the door, the better their chances that they finally win one.

You still think they understand, fredst?

What is the problem? You are the only person complaining about people not understanding the premises of the OP. Spell out the issue.

What is the problem? You are the only person complaining about people not understanding the premises of the OP. Spell out the issue.

Chimes seems to think it's a forced choice -- take consistent 10-win seasons and no championships or 1 natty every 5 years and misery in between.

What he doesn't acknowledge, though, is that all those saying they want consistent winning with championships mixed in are answering the OP's question.

The question is whether we'd be content with the natty every 5 years in exchange for lack of consistency. Those saying they want consistency with championships are answering 'no' to the OP's question.

^This is a good post. ^

I had already spelled it out but ^^here^^ it is again, Jeff (from page 4 of this thread).

The fact that so many of y'all are saying "We'd have a much better shot at championships if we're a consistent powerhouse year in and year out" is OBVIOUS. No s**t guys. And OBVIOUSLY everyone here would rather be good to great every single year while winning championships. It's not like y'all have cracked the enigma code to winning national titles.

The OP was asking if you'd rather ride the rollercoaster- like we've been doing- or be consistently good but never reach the top of the mountain.

^This is a good post. ^

I had already spelled it out but ^^here^^ it is again, Jeff (from page 4 of this thread).

The fact that so many of y'all are saying "We'd have a much better shot at championships if we're a consistent powerhouse year in and year out" is OBVIOUS. No s**t guys. And OBVIOUSLY everyone here would rather be good to great every single year while winning championships. It's not like y'all have cracked the enigma code to winning national titles.

The OP was asking if you'd rather ride the rollercoaster- like we've been doing- or be consistently good but never reach the top of the mountain.

Right, but everyone who's wanting consistency with championships is answering 'no' to the OP's question of would you be content with the 5-year-championship-inconsistency question.

Chimes seems to think it's a forced choice -- take consistent 10-win seasons and no championships or 1 natty every 5 years and misery in between.

What he doesn't acknowledge, though, is that all those saying they want consistent winning with championships mixed in are answering the OP's question.

The question is whether we'd be content with the natty every 5 years in exchange for lack of consistency. Those saying they want consistency with championships are answering 'no' to the OP's question.

I get what you're saying but on page 2 the OP said that my AU/UGA reference was basically the premise. It was meant as an either or. Not have a bunch of wins AND championships.

The fact that so many are acting like they're dropping these atomic knowledge bombs by informing everyone that we've got a better shot at winning championships if we're really good every year isn't helping.

Archived