What are you most looking forward to heading into fall camp?

WFE12

Roc was a true FR last year and played like one. And I was Corey Grant's biggest cheerleader going into the season, but he just didn't show the lateral movement or vision needed to make the cutbacks in our zone blocking scheme. I don't really see any comparison between Barber's situation this year and those two. He's just a talented guy with a little bit of experience competing with some other talented guys with a little bit of experience. May the best man win. And, as has been pointed out often before, don't hold your breath for a committee approach past September. There's a first for everything, but Gus hasn't done it yet. And I'm totally okay with that.

Responded before i saw this. But that was my biggest thing about Corey....his lack of vision. It was pretty evident b/c there were several times where if he would've cut back or took a different hole he'd have be well into the secondary. I agree that i don't think it will be RB by committee as well. I do think that whoever is the backup...they'll get more carries than Corey did as the backup last year.

then of course you have to factor in passing the ball more this year...idk..i kinda hoped peyton transferred for his sake

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i kinda hoped peyton transferred for his sake

A few thoughts:

-Peyton Hillis earned himself a few very nice paychecks playing in the same backfield as Darren McFadden and Felix Jones. Corey Grant's in the NFL. Mario Fannin made it to the NFL. College glory will make ya famous, but Gus will make ya rich.

-There is more emphasis every year on the wear and tear that RBs endure. Less of it in college is a good thing. Even Malik Miller, a rising senior in high school, is already appreciative of the longevity that splitting carries will afford him.

-Barber is only a sophomore. If he's as good as we hope, then he will get his chance. Might even happen this season. If not, he's got a clear path to being, at worst, RB2 his senior year.

For his sake, Barber is absolutely doing the right thing by staying IMO.

A few thoughts:

-Peyton Hillis earned himself a few very nice paychecks playing in the same backfield as Darren McFadden and Felix Jones. Corey Grant's in the NFL. Mario Fannin made it to the NFL. College glory will make ya famous, but Gus will make ya rich.

-There is more emphasis every year on the wear and tear that RBs endure. Less of it in college is a good thing. Even Malik Miller, a rising senior in high school, is already appreciative of the longevity that splitting carries will afford him.

-Barber is only a sophomore. If he's as good as we hope, then he will get his chance. Might even happen this season. If not, he's got a clear path to being, at worst, RB2 his senior year.

good points i do admire his attitude handling this

• 2 weeks later...

A few thoughts:

good points i do admire his attitude handling this

Looks like we've cleared up the 1a 1b thing a bit through fall camp so far:

https://trove.com/a/Robinson-currently-third-on-Auburns-running-back-depth-chart.a4Ksw?utm_campaign=hosted&utm_medium=twitter&ts=1439600076&utm_source=sns&nocrawl=1

Roc was a true FR last year and played like one. And I was Corey Grant's biggest cheerleader going into the season, but he just didn't show the lateral movement or vision needed to make the cutbacks in our zone blocking scheme. I don't really see any comparison between Barber's situation this year and those two. He's just a talented guy with a little bit of experience competing with some other talented guys with a little bit of experience. May the best man win. And, as has been pointed out often before, don't hold your breath for a committee approach past September. There's a first for everything, but Gus hasn't done it yet. And I'm totally okay with that.

Responded before i saw this. But that was my biggest thing about Corey....his lack of vision. It was pretty evident b/c there were several times where if he would've cut back or took a different hole he'd have be well into the secondary. I agree that i don't think it will be RB by committee as well. I do think that whoever is the backup...they'll get more carries than Corey did as the backup last year.

then of course you have to factor in passing the ball more this year...idk..i kinda hoped peyton transferred for his sake

At one point I thought he would as well but then i thought about his learning disability. With factoring that into the equation if he transferred I thought about he'd have to go through that process again with another offensive system.

Also academically he's set up nicely with Auburn: its tutors, professors and any other resources he'd need for his classes. Unlike some other players, if PB had transferred that would probably be a huge adjustment for him from an academic perspective as well football. He's done very well academically at Auburn...earning academic honor roll i know at least once.

At one point I thought he would as well but then i thought about his learning disability. With factoring that into the equation if he transferred I thought about he'd have to go through that process again with another offensive system.

Also academically he's set up with nicely with Auburn: its tutors, professors and any other resources he'd need for his classes. Unlike some other players, if PB had transferred that would probably be a huge adjustment for him from an academic perspective as well football. He's done very well academically at Auburn...earning academic honor roll i know at least once.

man i forgot he had dyslexia..good point

'83, I love the perspective and insight you bring to this forum.

I try sometimes McLoofus. :cheers: I aspire to be on the level on of some vets around here one day. haha.

Archived