NCAA deciding how to fill Bowls

WarTiger

The upside of the glut in bowls is, even when we have a down year, we get another paycheck to help cover the mounting costs of our program... and they pay no matter how empty the stadium.

Not sure you understand how the bowls work, or the fact that the universities involved are typically on the hook for any unsold tickets. But the bottom line is that going to a bowl is typically either a money losing proposition or turns a very small profit at best. AU doesn't have any concerns over "mounting costs." Anyway, the "they pay no matter how empty the stadium" is a very, very incomplete picture. The bowl system as it stands now is a scam. It may have always been a scam, but whether it was always a scam or not, it sure is now.

Scam might be too strong a word. I mean, the schools sign a contract and they know what they are getting into...and there is much more to a bowl game than just the money. Most schools are willing to pay to get those extra 15 days of practice plus they get a legitimate means of wining and dining PTB alums and they get some national TV exposure to the school and the program....and the players have some fun too...even in Shreveport or Birmingham.

True, most schools don't make money though no one knows how the accounting is done....but I expect money is down the list of "important benefits" of playing in a bowl game.

As a comparison...consider all these basketball tournaments being played in Hawaii or San Juan and elsewhere this week in front of ...pretty much nobody...but a TV audience. Some good basketball to watch and the teams get to show their players and donors a good time. BUT....how many of those schools do you think are anywhere close to covering their expenses on those trips? How about none.... :dunno:

What confounds me is to tell a team, "no, you won't get to practice more because you sucked so bad". Those are precisely the teams that need the extra practice the most.

Additionally, is this also a dead period where bowlless coaches can't recruit either?

Archived